    somebody had the same problem.

    thanks and sorry about my english

    OLGA
    alkapendas, Oct 6, 2004

  2. alkapendas

    Alan Browne Guest

    alkapendas wrote:

    > I have d70 camera and lens sigma 70-200 f2,8, and i don´t know why but is
    > not work. When i buy it they told me that it was work that lens with my
    > camera and it isn´t work now. I'll give then the camera but i wonder if
    > somebody had the same problem.
    >
    > thanks and sorry about my english

    Sorry? When you consider that 80% (or more) of the people who post here are
    100% unilingual, you have absolutely nothing to be sorry about... at least you
    can communicate in more than one language.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --

    "I told my wife the truth. I told her I was seeing a psychiatrist.
    Then she told me the truth: that she was seeing a psychiatrist,

    Alan Browne, Oct 6, 2004

  3. alkapendas

    Hunt Guest

    In article <ck1b52$hsg$>, says...

    >I have d70 camera and lens sigma 70-200 f2,8, and i don´t know why but is
    >not work. When i buy it they told me that it was work that lens with my
    >camera and it isn´t work now. I'll give then the camera but i wonder if
    >somebody had the same problem.
    >
    >thanks and sorry about my english
    >
    >OLGA

    Olga,

    Can you describe what doesn't work about the camera/lens combo? Does the lens
    mount to the body? If not, it is probably just the wrong mount. Does it not
    couple to the camera electronically? This could be a problem with either the
    lens, or the body. Can you take the body to a photo shop and try another lens?
    This might answer the above question.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Oct 6, 2004
  4. alkapendas

    Charlie Self Guest

    Hunt responds:

    >>I have d70 camera and lens sigma 70-200 f2,8, and i don´t know why but is
    >>not work. When i buy it they told me that it was work that lens with my
    >>camera and it isn´t work now. I'll give then the camera but i wonder if
    >>somebody had the same problem.
    >>
    >>thanks and sorry about my english
    >>
    >>OLGA

    >Olga,
    >
    >Can you describe what doesn't work about the camera/lens combo? Does the lens
    >
    >mount to the body? If not, it is probably just the wrong mount. Does it not
    >couple to the camera electronically? This could be a problem with either the
    >lens, or the body. Can you take the body to a photo shop and try another
    >lens?
    >This might answer the above question.

    And she might be doing what I did the first couple lens changes on my Pentax: I
    was not used to autofocus SLRs, so I shut the camera down to install the new
    lens. Whoops. No top of camera screen, nothing in the viewfinder. Pulled the
    lens off, turned the camera on, and re-installed. Just fine.

    Might be worth a try.
    Charlie Self
    "The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow out
    of it." Doris Day
    Charlie Self, Oct 7, 2004
  5. alkapendas

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 06 Oct 2004 23:30:24 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
    otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

    >And she might be doing what I did the first couple lens changes on my Pentax: I
    >was not used to autofocus SLRs, so I shut the camera down to install the new
    >lens. Whoops. No top of camera screen, nothing in the viewfinder. Pulled the
    >lens off, turned the camera on, and re-installed. Just fine.

    Absolutely not. from p. 18 of the D70 manual:

    Attaching Lenses

    Nikon recommends using a type G or type D CPU lens to take full advantage
    of the features the camera offers.

    1. Turn the camera off
    Turn the camera off before attaching or removing lenses.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Oct 7, 2004
  6. alkapendas

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, charliediy@aol.
    comnotforme says...

    >Hunt responds:
    >
    >>>I have d70 camera and lens sigma 70-200 f2,8, and i don´t know why but is
    >>>not work. When i buy it they told me that it was work that lens with my
    >>>camera and it isn´t work now. I'll give then the camera but i wonder if
    >>>somebody had the same problem.
    >>>
    >>>thanks and sorry about my english
    >>>
    >>>OLGA

    >>Olga,
    >>
    >>Can you describe what doesn't work about the camera/lens combo? Does the

    lens

    >>mount to the body? If not, it is probably just the wrong mount. Does it not
    >>couple to the camera electronically? This could be a problem with either the
    >>lens, or the body. Can you take the body to a photo shop and try another
    >>lens?
    >>This might answer the above question.

    >And she might be doing what I did the first couple lens changes on my Pentax:

    >was not used to autofocus SLRs, so I shut the camera down to install the new
    >lens. Whoops. No top of camera screen, nothing in the viewfinder. Pulled the
    >lens off, turned the camera on, and re-installed. Just fine.
    >
    >Might be worth a try.
    >Charlie Self
    >"The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow

    out
    >of it." Doris Day

    Charlie, do I understand you correctly, that on your Pentax, you change lenses
    with the power on? Going back to my film SLR AF Nikons, this was heavily
    warned against. Just curious.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Oct 7, 2004
  7. alkapendas

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ed Ruf responds:

    >>And she might be doing what I did the first couple lens changes on my

    >Pentax: I
    >>was not used to autofocus SLRs, so I shut the camera down to install the new
    >>lens. Whoops. No top of camera screen, nothing in the viewfinder. Pulled the
    >>lens off, turned the camera on, and re-installed. Just fine.

    >Absolutely not. from p. 18 of the D70 manual:
    >
    >Attaching Lenses
    >
    >Nikon recommends using a type G or type D CPU lens to take full advantage
    >of the features the camera offers.
    >
    >1. Turn the camera off
    > Turn the camera off before attaching or removing lenses.

    OK. Is it possible reversing that and leaving the camera on during changes is
    what screws things up?

    Charlie Self, Oct 7, 2004
  8. alkapendas

    Charlie Self Guest

    Hunt asks:

    >did the first couple lens changes on my Pentax:
    >>was not used to autofocus SLRs, so I shut the camera down to install the new
    >>lens. Whoops. No top of camera screen, nothing in the viewfinder. Pulled the
    >>lens off, turned the camera on, and re-installed. Just fine.
    >>
    >>Might be worth a try.
    >>Charlie Self
    >>"The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow

    >out
    >>of it." Doris Day

    >Charlie, do I understand you correctly, that on your Pentax, you change
    >lenses
    >with the power on? Going back to my film SLR AF Nikons, this was heavily
    >warned against. Just curious.

    Looking at the manual, there is NO statement about on or off in the basic
    directions. In the memo that follows, they say turn the lens OFF to prevent
    lens movement. I'm sure that makes sense to them. Anyway, I just ran through my
    three lenses. With the VIvitar 100mm macro, it works either way. It works with
    camera off for the Pentax lenses.

    So, obviously, I was wrong in stating it needed to be on while the lenses were
    being installed. But it also doesn't seem to make a damned bit of difference in
    exposure values or anything else whether the camera is on or off.

    One thing for sure, whoever writes these manuals was dropped on his, or her,
    head as a baby. I write tool manuals as part of my living, and these are almost
    as bad as the Chiwanese crap that comes with Asian imports. The organization is
    horrible and inclusion of needed steps is highly variable, bot be polite.

    Charlie Self, Oct 7, 2004
  9. alkapendas

    alkapendas Guest

    Thanks to everybody, today i´ll go to the shop to try the lens with another
    digital camera, because i tried with analogic camera and it´s works
    perfectly, and d70 it´s work with anothes lens, for that reason i´m very
    confused.
    I´ll tell you the solution...

    Thanks again

    OLGA
    alkapendas, Oct 7, 2004
  10. alkapendas

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, charliediy@aol.
    comnotforme says...

    >Hunt asks:
    >
    >>did the first couple lens changes on my Pentax:
    >>>was not used to autofocus SLRs, so I shut the camera down to install the

    new
    >>>lens. Whoops. No top of camera screen, nothing in the viewfinder. Pulled

    the
    >>>lens off, turned the camera on, and re-installed. Just fine.
    >>>
    >>>Might be worth a try.
    >>>Charlie Self
    >>>"The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow

    >>out
    >>>of it." Doris Day

    >>Charlie, do I understand you correctly, that on your Pentax, you change
    >>lenses
    >>with the power on? Going back to my film SLR AF Nikons, this was heavily
    >>warned against. Just curious.
    >>

    >Looking at the manual, there is NO statement about on or off in the basic
    >directions. In the memo that follows, they say turn the lens OFF to prevent
    >lens movement. I'm sure that makes sense to them. Anyway, I just ran through

    my
    >three lenses. With the VIvitar 100mm macro, it works either way. It works

    with
    >camera off for the Pentax lenses.
    >
    >So, obviously, I was wrong in stating it needed to be on while the lenses

    were
    >being installed. But it also doesn't seem to make a damned bit of difference

    in
    >exposure values or anything else whether the camera is on or off.
    >
    >One thing for sure, whoever writes these manuals was dropped on his, or her,
    >head as a baby. I write tool manuals as part of my living, and these are

    almost
    >as bad as the Chiwanese crap that comes with Asian imports. The organization

    is
    >horrible and inclusion of needed steps is highly variable, bot be polite.
    >
    >Charlie Self

    I agree with the manuals - the writing of which is a lost art, even when there
    is NOT a language barrier and translation problems. Also, I find some of the
    worst photographs and illustrations used in photography and graphic arts
    manuals. At least THEY should be able to get it right. It's kinda' like the
    photographs in many of the photo mags. Who took THOSE photos anyway?!?!?

    Thanks for the feedback. Since I haven't even held a Pentax since the days of
    the Sensomatic [SP?], I didn't know what they were up to, but Nikon is adamant
    about shutting power OFF, before changing lenses on their AF film SLR's, at
    least the F-4/F-5.

    Just curious,
    Hunt
    Hunt, Oct 7, 2004
  11. alkapendas

    Hunt Guest

    In article <ck329j$a1k$>, says...

    >Thanks to everybody, today i´ll go to the shop to try the lens with another
    >digital camera, because i tried with analogic camera and it´s works
    >perfectly, and d70 it´s work with anothes lens, for that reason i´m very
    >confused.
    >I´ll tell you the solution...
    >
    >Thanks again
    >
    >OLGA

    As we are offered more choices, life becomes a bit more complicated with each
    choice addition. Product A will not work with product B, but is a perfect
    match for product C. Just to comfuse things, Product D will work perfectly
    with product B, but nothing else!

    Good luck in finding your incompatibility.
    Hunt
    Hunt, Oct 7, 2004
  12. alkapendas

    Charlie Self Guest

    Hunt notes:

    >I agree with the manuals - the writing of which is a lost art, even when
    >there
    >is NOT a language barrier and translation problems. Also, I find some of the
    >worst photographs and illustrations used in photography and graphic arts
    >manuals.

    Don't know about the graphics manuals, but the Pentax manual has line drawings
    and a few cartoons. I think there are something like four photos in the whole
    thing. There must be a program out there that can readily change photos to line
    drawings. Wish I had it, since I've got no drawing skill, with or without a
    computer.

    Charlie Self, Oct 7, 2004
  13. alkapendas

    Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:15:51 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >alkapendas wrote:
    >
    >> I have d70 camera and lens sigma 70-200 f2,8, and i don´t know why but is
    >> not work. When i buy it they told me that it was work that lens with my
    >> camera and it isn´t work now. I'll give then the camera but i wonder if
    >> somebody had the same problem.
    >>
    >> thanks and sorry about my english

    >Sorry? When you consider that 80% (or more) of the people who post here are
    >100% unilingual, you have absolutely nothing to be sorry about... at least you
    >can communicate in more than one language.

    An oldie:

    What do you call someone who speaks three or more languages?
    Polyglot.

    What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
    Bilingual.

    What do you call someone who speaks only one language?
    American.
    , Oct 7, 2004
  14. alkapendas

    Colin D Guest

    wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:15:51 -0400, Alan Browne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >alkapendas wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have d70 camera and lens sigma 70-200 f2,8, and i don´t know why but is
    > >> not work. When i buy it they told me that it was work that lens with my
    > >> camera and it isn´t work now. I'll give then the camera but i wonder if
    > >> somebody had the same problem.
    > >>
    > >> thanks and sorry about my english

    > >Sorry? When you consider that 80% (or more) of the people who post here are
    > >100% unilingual, you have absolutely nothing to be sorry about... at least you
    > >can communicate in more than one language.

    > An oldie:
    >
    > What do you call someone who speaks three or more languages?
    > Polyglot.
    >
    > What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
    > Bilingual.
    >
    > What do you call someone who speaks only one language?
    > American.

    That last isn't quite correct. Most mono-lingual speakers have English
    as their first language. That's both a blessing and a curse, English is
    so widely spoken or at least understood that such people don't feel a
    need to learn another language - but speakers of other languages usually
    learn some English, and can feel slighted if you don't make the effort
    to learn some of their language.

    We of necessity spent several months in Hong Kong when our daughter was
    seriously ill in a hospital there, and communicating with hospital
    staff, and locals in general, was difficult, even though HK is an
    English as well as Cantonese speaking city. Over the period, we picked
    up a fair bit of Cantonese for everyday things like greetings,
    directions, etc, and each time we used Cantonese, no matter how simple,
    the reaction from the Chinese person was one of delight that we used
    their language.
    Back home here in NZ, my wife bought some goods from a Chinese shop, and
    without thinking, automatically said 'Thank you' in Cantonese. The
    entire staff stopped what they were doing, turned to her and just beamed
    huge smiles. Made their day, and hers too.

    Colin
    Colin D, Oct 7, 2004
  15. alkapendas

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Colin D wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:15:51 -0400, Alan Browne
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Sorry? When you consider that 80% (or more) of the people who post here are
    >>>100% unilingual, you have absolutely nothing to be sorry about... at least you
    >>>can communicate in more than one language.

    >> An oldie:
    >>
    >>What do you call someone who speaks three or more languages?
    >>Polyglot.
    >>
    >>What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
    >>Bilingual.
    >>
    >>What do you call someone who speaks only one language?
    >>American.

    > That last isn't quite correct. Most mono-lingual speakers have English
    > as their first language. That's both a blessing and a curse, English is
    > so widely spoken or at least understood that such people don't feel a
    > need to learn another language - but speakers of other languages usually
    > learn some English, and can feel slighted if you don't make the effort
    > to learn some of their language.
    >
    > We of necessity spent several months in Hong Kong when our daughter was
    > seriously ill in a hospital there, and communicating with hospital
    > staff, and locals in general, was difficult, even though HK is an
    > English as well as Cantonese speaking city. Over the period, we picked
    > up a fair bit of Cantonese for everyday things like greetings,
    > directions, etc, and each time we used Cantonese, no matter how simple,
    > the reaction from the Chinese person was one of delight that we used
    > their language.
    > Back home here in NZ, my wife bought some goods from a Chinese shop, and
    > without thinking, automatically said 'Thank you' in Cantonese. The
    > entire staff stopped what they were doing, turned to her and just beamed
    > huge smiles. Made their day, and hers too.
    >
    > Colin

    The idea that Americans don't often speak more than one language is
    becoming a myth. In this area, most people are bi-lingual. Many speak
    English and the language of of their original country, either a
    southeast asian one, or Spanish. One even hears German now and then.
    In the local schools, Spanish is a required language (english isn't).
    Ron Hunter, Oct 8, 2004
  16. wrote:

    > An oldie:
    >
    > What do you call someone who ......

    consistently disparages others based on race, nationality or creed:

    scroll down~~

    more

    A.) An asshole!

    John McWilliams, Oct 8, 2004
  17. alkapendas

    S. Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> An oldie:
    >>
    >> What do you call someone who ......

    > consistently disparages others based on race, nationality or creed:

    A Democrat?
    S., Oct 8, 2004
  18. alkapendas

    Guest

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:51:53 GMT, John McWilliams <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> An oldie:
    >>
    >> What do you call someone who ......

    >consistently disparages others based on race, nationality or creed:

    Consistently??? Who pissed in your cornflakes?

    <idiocy snipped>

    >A.) An asshole!

    Humor-challenged? Over-constricted sphincter? Which are you?
    , Oct 9, 2004