Sorry...it's back to IE for me... :-(

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Drude, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Drude

    Drude Guest

    Okay...

    I've been using FF for four months now...and I really like it. It's
    faster than IE, I like the interface and customability (is that a word?)
    of FF... and it's not Micro$oft...

    BUT...

    ....there's just too damn many sites where it won't work! I use my
    browser for a lot of multimedia... movie trailers, movies, radio,
    music... and there's just too much that isn't compatible.

    I've installed so many extensions and workarounds now that it has
    finally occurred to me that FF takes a lot of time and trouble to do
    what IE does with just one click. I'm not the world's most
    computer-savvy person, so I don't want to get in there and start messing
    around with my registry and such. I know IE is more open to virus and
    spyware, but my computer is heavily guarded against such things... I
    haven't has a virus or spyware in years...

    My wife has already stopped using FF because she finds it too difficult
    with her somewhat limited computer knowledge...she wants to be able to
    click and go. And that's not really an unreasonable request, if you
    think about it. The MAJORITY of computer users just want to be able to
    open up their browsers and go... not have to worry about what isn't
    going to work, and, most importantly: which extensions and workarounds
    they are going to have to deal with to view the sites they may want to
    view...

    Soooo, against my will I am switching back. I have strong doubts that
    FF is going to really give IE a run for the money until they manage to
    catch up on some of these features and make it a bit more useful to
    those who want ease and simplicity.

    I really do like FF, and I might try the next incarnation when it comes
    out... but for now...

    I'm switching back.

    -Drude

    Drude, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Drude wrote:
    > Okay...
    >
    > I've been using FF for four months now...and I really like it. It's
    > faster than IE, I like the interface and customability (is that a word?)
    > of FF... and it's not Micro$oft...
    >
    > BUT...
    >
    > ...there's just too damn many sites where it won't work! I use my
    > browser for a lot of multimedia... movie trailers, movies, radio,
    > music... and there's just too much that isn't compatible.
    >
    > I've installed so many extensions and workarounds now that it has
    > finally occurred to me that FF takes a lot of time and trouble to do
    > what IE does with just one click. I'm not the world's most
    > computer-savvy person, so I don't want to get in there and start messing
    > around with my registry and such. I know IE is more open to virus and
    > spyware, but my computer is heavily guarded against such things... I
    > haven't has a virus or spyware in years...
    >
    > My wife has already stopped using FF because she finds it too difficult
    > with her somewhat limited computer knowledge...she wants to be able to
    > click and go. And that's not really an unreasonable request, if you
    > think about it. The MAJORITY of computer users just want to be able to
    > open up their browsers and go... not have to worry about what isn't
    > going to work, and, most importantly: which extensions and workarounds
    > they are going to have to deal with to view the sites they may want to
    > view...
    >
    > Soooo, against my will I am switching back. I have strong doubts that
    > FF is going to really give IE a run for the money until they manage to
    > catch up on some of these features and make it a bit more useful to
    > those who want ease and simplicity.
    >
    > I really do like FF, and I might try the next incarnation when it comes
    > out... but for now...
    >
    > I'm switching back.
    >
    > -Drude

    Have a nice life!

    As one of the extensions you tried installing, dod you look at IE view?
    It creats an easy menu item. Page won't load in FF, just click the
    menu and open up IE.

    There's even an extension for going the other way round.

    You might also keep an eye on development of the newest Netscape stand
    alone browser. It functions on gecko, but you can swith to the IE
    engine, and leave it switched for specific sites. I've got a beta copy
    now, and it looks very promising.

    Do look at future versions. The issues themselves are not likely to
    change, but as FF pulls more users away from IE, the sites themselves
    are likely to. It will become a better internet, and even IE users
    should benefit.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Drude

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Drude* wrote:
    > Okay...
    >
    > I've been using FF for four months now...and I really like it. It's
    > faster than IE, I like the interface and customability (is that a word?)
    > of FF... and it's not Micro$oft...
    >
    > BUT...
    >
    > ...there's just too damn many sites where it won't work! I use my
    > browser for a lot of multimedia... movie trailers, movies, radio,
    > music... and there's just too much that isn't compatible.

    I can understand your troubles with your interest focused on sites
    with that kind of content, but ...........

    <snip>

    > Soooo, against my will I am switching back. I have strong doubts that
    > FF is going to really give IE a run for the money until they manage to
    > catch up on some of these features and make it a bit more useful to
    > those who want ease and simplicity.

    it's not so much about Mozilla (that I'm using) or Firebird beeing
    uncompatible and in need for catch up. It's more about the sites to
    use more compatible and standard coding on their pages.

    To much IE-specific coding is what do their sites and content not
    useful for any other browser than that old IE version that still is
    the latest. And in some cases the old Netscape 4.xx can work, whereas
    the site editors have not realized there is a lot of newer browser in
    use this days.

    But within a short time they will discover those new browsers and
    versions, and then Mozilla and Firefox will work also on those sites.

    For an example, a year ago I could not even see my banks website's
    front page with Mozilla because their crappy Javascript on the pages.
    Recently I was able to begin using Mozilla to login to my account with
    them. So the progress is going on, day by day :)

    --
    /Arne
    http://web.telia.com/~u97802964/

    If you owe the bank a million, you have a problem.
    If you owe the bank ten million, the bank has a problem! (Unknown)

    Arne, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Drude

    John Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:16:47 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    >You might also keep an eye on development of the newest Netscape stand
    >alone browser. It functions on gecko, but you can swith to the IE
    >engine, and leave it switched for specific sites. I've got a beta copy
    >now, and it looks very promising.

    Hey, Lee: Is that available to the public (i.e.ME)?
    I use my browser strictly and only for browsing, and would be interested in that
    .. .

    John <><

    John, Jan 20, 2005
  5. Drude

    someone Guest

    > around with my registry and such. I know IE is more open to virus and
    > spyware, but my computer is heavily guarded against such things... I
    > haven't has a virus or spyware in years...

    > -Drude

    I'm not trying to convince you to (continue) to use FF (although for the
    record I have both FF & IE installed, FF is my default and used most of
    the time but IE does come in handy now and then) but when you say no
    virus or spyware in years either were in different worlds or have a
    different def. of spyware ...

    --
    Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
    http://www.rfruth.net

    1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
    1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
    2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

    someone, Jan 20, 2005
  6. Drude

    Drude Guest

    > I'm not trying to convince you to (continue) to use FF (although for the
    > record I have both FF & IE installed, FF is my default and used most of
    > the time but IE does come in handy now and then) but when you say no virus
    > or spyware in years either were in different worlds or have a different
    > def. of spyware ...

    Okay...I haven't had a PROBLEM with viruses or spyware/adware in years.
    I've been using some sort of Anti-virus/Firewall/you-name-it since about
    1995.

    Very rare for anything to get into my computer, and, when it does, I usually
    kill it immediately.

    Drude

    Drude, Jan 20, 2005
  7. Drude skrev:
    > Okay...
    >
    > I've been using FF for four months now...and I really like it. It's
    > faster than IE, I like the interface and customability (is that a word?)
    > of FF... and it's not Micro$oft...
    >
    > BUT...
    >
    > ...there's just too damn many sites where it won't work! I use my
    > browser for a lot of multimedia... movie trailers, movies, radio,
    > music... and there's just too much that isn't compatible.
    >
    > I've installed so many extensions and workarounds now that it has
    > finally occurred to me that FF takes a lot of time and trouble to do
    > what IE does with just one click. I'm not the world's most
    > computer-savvy person, so I don't want to get in there and start messing
    > around with my registry and such. I know IE is more open to virus and
    > spyware, but my computer is heavily guarded against such things... I
    > haven't has a virus or spyware in years...
    >
    > My wife has already stopped using FF because she finds it too difficult
    > with her somewhat limited computer knowledge...she wants to be able to
    > click and go. And that's not really an unreasonable request, if you
    > think about it. The MAJORITY of computer users just want to be able to
    > open up their browsers and go... not have to worry about what isn't
    > going to work, and, most importantly: which extensions and workarounds
    > they are going to have to deal with to view the sites they may want to
    > view...
    >
    > Soooo, against my will I am switching back. I have strong doubts that
    > FF is going to really give IE a run for the money until they manage to
    > catch up on some of these features and make it a bit more useful to
    > those who want ease and simplicity.
    >
    > I really do like FF, and I might try the next incarnation when it comes
    > out... but for now...
    >
    > I'm switching back.
    >
    > -Drude

    Weird
    I have no problem with that. I don't listen to media files directly
    on the web browser, for that i use other programs such as
    Real Media, Quicktime or Media Player. I switched from IE to Opera
    to Firefox. on Opera i did not have that problem either.

    I have noticed that IE must be used for windows Update. It is
    harder to find the files you need otherwise.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Willy_Simil=E4?=, Jan 21, 2005
  8. Drude

    Ranjit Guest

    Willy Similä wrote:
    > Drude skrev:
    >
    >> Okay...
    >>
    >> I've been using FF for four months now...and I really like it. It's
    >> faster than IE, I like the interface and customability (is that a
    >> word?) of FF... and it's not Micro$oft...
    >>
    >> BUT...
    >>
    >> ...there's just too damn many sites where it won't work! I use my
    >> browser for a lot of multimedia... movie trailers, movies, radio,
    >> music... and there's just too much that isn't compatible.
    >>
    >> I've installed so many extensions and workarounds now that it has
    >> finally occurred to me that FF takes a lot of time and trouble to do
    >> what IE does with just one click. I'm not the world's most
    >> computer-savvy person, so I don't want to get in there and start
    >> messing around with my registry and such. I know IE is more open to
    >> virus and spyware, but my computer is heavily guarded against such
    >> things... I haven't has a virus or spyware in years...
    >>
    >> My wife has already stopped using FF because she finds it too
    >> difficult with her somewhat limited computer knowledge...she wants to
    >> be able to click and go. And that's not really an unreasonable
    >> request, if you think about it. The MAJORITY of computer users just
    >> want to be able to open up their browsers and go... not have to worry
    >> about what isn't going to work, and, most importantly: which
    >> extensions and workarounds they are going to have to deal with to view
    >> the sites they may want to view...
    >>
    >> Soooo, against my will I am switching back. I have strong doubts that
    >> FF is going to really give IE a run for the money until they manage to
    >> catch up on some of these features and make it a bit more useful to
    >> those who want ease and simplicity.
    >>
    >> I really do like FF, and I might try the next incarnation when it
    >> comes out... but for now...
    >>
    >> I'm switching back.
    >>
    >> -Drude

    > Weird
    > I have no problem with that. I don't listen to media files directly
    > on the web browser, for that i use other programs such as
    > Real Media, Quicktime or Media Player. I switched from IE to Opera
    > to Firefox. on Opera i did not have that problem either.
    >
    > I have noticed that IE must be used for windows Update. It is
    > harder to find the files you need otherwise.

    I think the problem if audio comes mostly when trying to listen to
    online music sites that have players embedded within a window or something.
    Also other issue is with sites using dynamic fonts.

    But like many others out here, whenever I come across the above problems
    I just right-click->view in IE.

    Ranjit, Jan 21, 2005
  9. Drude

    Bob Guest

    Arne wrote:
    > Once upon a time *Drude* wrote:
    >
    >>Okay...
    >>
    >>I've been using FF for four months now...and I really like it. It's
    >>faster than IE, I like the interface and customability (is that a word?)
    >>of FF... and it's not Micro$oft...
    >>
    >>BUT...
    >>
    >>...there's just too damn many sites where it won't work! I use my
    >>browser for a lot of multimedia... movie trailers, movies, radio,
    >>music... and there's just too much that isn't compatible.

    > <snip >
    > But within a short time they will discover those new browsers and
    > versions, and then Mozilla and Firefox will work also on those sites.
    >
    > For an example, a year ago I could not even see my banks website's
    > front page with Mozilla because their crappy Javascript on the pages.
    > Recently I was able to begin using Mozilla to login to my account with
    > them. So the progress is going on, day by day :)

    Looks like progress is indeed going on by the following announcement.

    Service Information

    In the near future we will be introducing a new version of NatWest
    OnLine Banking. In advance of this release and for security and
    usability reasons we will no longer be providing support for older
    Netscape and Internet Explorer versions. Therefore from 4th February our
    list of supported browsers will be:

    Internet Explorer 5.0 and above (Windows Only) 'http://microsoft.com/ie'

    Netscape 7.1 and 7.2 'http://www.netscape.com/download'

    Mozilla 1.5 and above 'www.mozilla.org'

    AOL 6.0 and above (Windows Only) 'www.aol.co.uk/download'

    Firefox 'www.mozilla.org'

    We recommend that you download the latest available version of any of
    the above browsers in advance of this date by visiting the websites shown.

    Apple Macintosh users who currently have OS v 8.0 or OS v 9.0 installed
    will continue to be supported using IE v 5.1.7 or Mozilla v 1.2.1

    ---- end ----

    Who is next to support Firefox?

    --
    Bob

    Bob, Jan 21, 2005
  10. Drude

    damon Guest

    Fair enough. I hope you stay safe on line. For my part, I rarely use
    my web browser for multi-media stuff. I use it for research and
    shopping. It's all I need and nothing that I don't. Firefox is on my
    Windows PC, and Mozilla 1.7.3 runs on the two Linux boxen. I'm happy,
    you're happy. Why can't we all just get along?

    -- Damon

    damon, Jan 22, 2005
  11. Drude

    Drude Guest

    "damon" <> wrote in message
    > Fair enough. I hope you stay safe on line. For my part, I rarely use my
    > web browser for multi-media stuff. I use it for research and shopping.
    > It's all I need and nothing that I don't. Firefox is on my Windows PC,
    > and Mozilla 1.7.3 runs on the two Linux boxen. I'm happy, you're happy.
    > Why can't we all just get along?
    >
    > -- Damon
    >
    > Drude wrote:
    >> Okay...
    >>
    >> I've been using FF for four months now...and I really like it. It's
    >> faster than IE, I like the interface and customability (is that a word?)
    >> of FF... and it's not Micro$oft...
    >>
    >> BUT...
    >>
    >> ...there's just too damn many sites where it won't work! I use my
    >> browser for a lot of multimedia... movie trailers, movies, radio,
    >> music... and there's just too much that isn't compatible.

    I'm trying to work out some stuff right now at the MozillaZine forums...

    Supposedly, you can add an extension and fiddle with the prefs to get FF to
    allow ActiveX controls...

    However, it hasn't worked for me yet...

    If I can get it to work, I may stay with FF...I would prefer it, for sure...

    Drude

    Drude, Jan 22, 2005
  12. Drude wrote:
    > "damon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Fair enough. I hope you stay safe on line. For my part, I rarely use my
    >>web browser for multi-media stuff. I use it for research and shopping.
    >>It's all I need and nothing that I don't. Firefox is on my Windows PC,
    >>and Mozilla 1.7.3 runs on the two Linux boxen. I'm happy, you're happy.
    >>Why can't we all just get along?
    >>
    >>-- Damon
    >>
    >>Drude wrote:
    >>
    >>>Okay...
    >>>
    >>>I've been using FF for four months now...and I really like it. It's
    >>>faster than IE, I like the interface and customability (is that a word?)
    >>>of FF... and it's not Micro$oft...
    >>>
    >>>BUT...
    >>>
    >>>...there's just too damn many sites where it won't work! I use my
    >>>browser for a lot of multimedia... movie trailers, movies, radio,
    >>>music... and there's just too much that isn't compatible.

    > I'm trying to work out some stuff right now at the MozillaZine forums...
    >
    > Supposedly, you can add an extension and fiddle with the prefs to get FF to
    > allow ActiveX controls...
    >
    > However, it hasn't worked for me yet...
    >
    > If I can get it to work, I may stay with FF...I would prefer it, for sure...
    >
    > Drude

    Its not going to work completely. If all you are looking for is to get
    WMP to play, that's what its for, so great but its pretty much limited
    to that. Note also that the Active X control has been know to cause
    problems with Shockwave Flash player. But, depending on your needs, it
    may work for you.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 22, 2005
  13. Drude

    John, Jan 22, 2005
  14. Drude

    Drude Guest

    > Its not going to work completely. If all you are looking for is to get
    > WMP to play, that's what its for, so great but its pretty much limited to
    > that. Note also that the Active X control has been know to cause problems
    > with Shockwave Flash player. But, depending on your needs, it may work
    > for you.
    >
    > Lee

    Well, I got AccuRadio to work, and a few other sites are working alright
    now.

    I realise there are several that may never work, and that's okay... I have
    IEView for that...it just seemed like it was every third site I went to that
    wouldn't comply. But I'd like to stay with FF...so I think I'll keep
    trying...

    For now.

    Drude

    Drude, Jan 22, 2005
  15. John wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:16:47 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >

    >>You might also keep an eye on development of the newest Netscape stand
    >>alone browser. It functions on gecko, but you can swith to the IE
    >>engine, and leave it switched for specific sites. I've got a beta copy
    >>now, and it looks very promising.

    > Hey, Lee: Is that available to the public (i.e.ME)?
    > I use my browser strictly and only for browsing, and would be interested in that
    > . .
    >
    > John <><

    Email me. I can't find the link right now, but if you email me I can
    get back to you when I do.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 22, 2005