Sorry for the painfully newbie question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Chip L, Mar 18, 2007.

  1. Chip L

    Chip L Guest

    My question has to do with connecting a newer DVD w/ an older TV

    My daughter is home f/ college is having a bunch of kids over tonight
    before they take off on Spring Break. She wants to watch the DVD
    upstairs on a TV I haven't used in a long time.

    Between a divorce and my daughter taking off for college, a lot of
    equipment in my home has been moved and changed around and I just
    don't remember how some to get some of it to work.

    Here's what I have

    A newer Memorex DVD
    An older Phillips Magnovox TV w/ single cable input (generic remote)
    Converter unit for DVD ouput (Red-yellow-white to Cable)

    I believe I have the connections correct but I DO NOT HAVE THE CORRECT
    REMOTE FOR THE TV. I have a remove which lets me turn it on, change
    channels etc. but it does not have a VIDEO input option.

    My Q: What should the input be set on on the TV to take the converted
    output (RYW - Cable ) f/ the DVD to the TV? Nothing seems to work and
    the remote does not have a 'video' selector...

    Thanks
    Chip L
    Chip L, Mar 18, 2007

  2. Chip L

    def456 Guest

    an old-fashioned coaxial RF cable will work
    def456, Mar 19, 2007

  3. Chip L

    Guest

    On Mar 18, 11:33 am, "Chip L" <> wrote:
    > My Q: What should the input be set on on the TV to take the converted
    > output (RYW - Cable ) f/ the DVD to the TV? Nothing seems to work and
    > the remote does not have a 'video' selector...

    I assume you're talking about an DVD player (with yellow-red-white
    outputs) running to an RF modulator/converter (which outputs to
    coaxial cable) and into your TV.

    If so, you should tune the TV to channel 3 or 4, usually (since most
    RF converters output to one of those channels). Some RF converters
    even have a switch on the back which lets you choose the channel.

    -Eric
    , Mar 20, 2007