sorry for reposting

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by sean, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. sean

    sean Guest

    OK Im Going to ask you goons once more to see if you
    mcngp's real know what your talking about

    HI all, am starting mcse, have had a lot experience on
    2000/xp but never used server '03 before, well a server at
    all, have got my hands on an evaluation. Copy of '03. When
    I go to install it goes on fine but when i try to install
    active directory as the fist domain controller with dhcp
    and dns the dhcp goes on then when it gets to active
    directory i get a message stating that the ip/tcp is not
    configured and needs to be for me to be able to continue.
    I've tried to configure it with no joy as far as I can see
    it's the dhcp's ip address that cursing the problem. As
    far as I can tell it needs to be set to: 192.168.0.10 but
    I can't seem to find a way to do so. Any help will be
    great thank Sean

    p.s. is running on a HP p2 with 896 ram and yes has a 3com
    net card

    thanks again
    ..

    sean, Mar 3, 2004

  2. sean

    Andy Guest

    Probably not much help as i'm still using NT4 and just
    learning 2003 but cant you set up the server with a static
    IP for AD and then change to DHCP once you get through the
    installation ?

    AD

    Andy, Mar 3, 2004

  3. sean

    sean Guest

    thanks will try tonight

    sean, Mar 3, 2004
  4. sean

    keith Guest

    2 things:
    I don't believe it will allow AD to be installed on a server receiving a
    DHCP address
    make sure you have a network cable plugged in, real pain to troubleshoot
    that one, trying to set up a standalone system, but it was still looking for
    a 'connection'

    keith, Mar 3, 2004
  5. sean

    LnkWizard Guest

    If I am understanding your message correctly the machine you
    are using as the server gets its IP address from DHCP. You cannot
    run Ad on a DHCP enabled machine. It must have a static IP address.
    Besides if you think about it, wouldn't it be nice if the server running
    AD, DHCP, and DNS was at the same IP address all the time.
    Sometimes M$ does use logic in their programs, not often but sometimes.

    --
    Alan G
    ---

    LnkWizard, Mar 3, 2004
  6. On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:43:26 -0800, "sean"
    <> wrote:

    >OK Im Going to ask you goons once more to see if you
    >mcngp's real know what your talking about
    >

    >HI all, am starting mcse, have had a lot experience on
    >2000/xp but never used server '03 before, well a server at
    >all, have got my hands on an evaluation. Copy of '03. When
    >I go to install it goes on fine but when i try to install
    >active directory as the fist domain controller with dhcp
    >and dns the dhcp goes on then when it gets to active
    >directory i get a message stating that the ip/tcp is not
    >configured and needs to be for me to be able to continue.
    >I've tried to configure it with no joy as far as I can see
    >it's the dhcp's ip address that cursing the problem. As
    >far as I can tell it needs to be set to: 192.168.0.10 but
    >I can't seem to find a way to do so. Any help will be
    >great thank Sean
    >
    >p.s. is running on a HP p2 with 896 ram and yes has a 3com
    >net card
    >
    >thanks again
    >.

    Suggest you add a Microsoft Loopback adapter to the system or plug the
    fekkin' cable into a hub and the NIC on the server to make the NIC
    live..

    My Hero:
    (remove vroomfondle to email me)

    Marlin Munrow, Mar 3, 2004