Sony's OTHER drm is fscked up,too!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Yeah, I know, "no shit". THere have been various problems associated
    with the SucOmm mediamax DRM that Sony has put on its CDs far before
    teh latest XCP fiasco. But now there's news that MediaMax also
    COMPROMISES your computer.

    -goro-

    http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_12.php#004234

    "The security issue involves a file folder installed on users'
    computers by the MediaMax software that could allow malicious third
    parties who have localized, lower-privilege access to gain control over
    a consumer's computer running the Windows operating system."

    List of Titles affected:
    1 Alicia Keys Unplugged 82876674242
    82876731662
    2 Amici Forever Defined 82876688832
    3 Babyface Grown & Sexy 82876705682
    4 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Howl 8287671601
    5 Britney Spears Hitme - Remix 82876740622
    6 Cassidy I'm A Hustla 82876687072
    82876680732
    7 Chris Brown

    Chris Brown
    82876733222
    8 Cook, Dixon & Young Volume One 82876673342
    9 David Gray Life In Slow Motion 82876710682
    10 Dido Dido Live 82876658099
    11 Faithless Forever Faithless/ENH 82876710142
    12 Imogen Heap Speak For Yourself 82876725322
    13 Judd & Maggie Subjects 82876692492
    14 Leo Kottke/Mike Gordon Sixty Six Steps 82876689092
    15 Maroon 5 Live 82876709742
    82876699522
    16 My Morning Jacket Z 82876710672
    17 Raheem Devaughn The Love Experience 82876537232
    18 Santana All That I Am 82876597732
    19 Sarah McLachlan Bloom (Remix Album) 82876697982
    20 Stellastarr* Harmonies for the Haunted 82876688812
    21 Syleena Johnson Chapter 3: The Flesh 82876610932
    22 T-Pain Rappa Ternt Sanga 82876734472
    82876732002
    23 Various So Amazing: An All Star Tribute To Luther Vandross
    82876624722
    24 Various Songs Brown Hotel 82876714112
    25 Wakefield Which Side Are You On? 82876685072
    82876681352
    26 Charlie Wilson Charlie, Last Name Wilson 82876694292
    27 YoungBloodZ Everybody Know Me 82876733402
    82876731752

    Goro, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Goro

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Goro" <> wrote:
    >Yeah, I know, "no shit". THere have been various problems associated
    >with the SucOmm mediamax DRM that Sony has put on its CDs far before
    >teh latest XCP fiasco. But now there's news that MediaMax also
    >COMPROMISES your computer.
    >
    >-goro-
    >
    >http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_12.php#004234
    >
    >"The security issue involves a file folder installed on users'
    >computers by the MediaMax software that could allow malicious third
    >parties who have localized, lower-privilege access to gain control over
    >a consumer's computer running the Windows operating system."
    >
    >List of Titles affected:
    >1 Alicia Keys Unplugged 82876674242
    > 82876731662
    >2 Amici Forever Defined 82876688832
    >3 Babyface Grown & Sexy 82876705682
    >4 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Howl 8287671601
    >5 Britney Spears Hitme - Remix 82876740622
    >6 Cassidy I'm A Hustla 82876687072
    > 82876680732
    >7 Chris Brown
    >
    >Chris Brown
    > 82876733222
    >8 Cook, Dixon & Young Volume One 82876673342
    >9 David Gray Life In Slow Motion 82876710682
    >10 Dido Dido Live 82876658099
    >11 Faithless Forever Faithless/ENH 82876710142
    >12 Imogen Heap Speak For Yourself 82876725322
    >13 Judd & Maggie Subjects 82876692492
    >14 Leo Kottke/Mike Gordon Sixty Six Steps 82876689092
    >15 Maroon 5 Live 82876709742
    > 82876699522
    >16 My Morning Jacket Z 82876710672
    >17 Raheem Devaughn The Love Experience 82876537232
    >18 Santana All That I Am 82876597732
    >19 Sarah McLachlan Bloom (Remix Album) 82876697982
    >20 Stellastarr* Harmonies for the Haunted 82876688812
    >21 Syleena Johnson Chapter 3: The Flesh 82876610932
    >22 T-Pain Rappa Ternt Sanga 82876734472
    > 82876732002
    >23 Various So Amazing: An All Star Tribute To Luther Vandross
    > 82876624722
    >24 Various Songs Brown Hotel 82876714112
    >25 Wakefield Which Side Are You On? 82876685072
    > 82876681352
    >26 Charlie Wilson Charlie, Last Name Wilson 82876694292
    >27 YoungBloodZ Everybody Know Me 82876733402
    > 82876731752

    Anyone who listens to most of these shit groups deserve to be infected.

    GMAN, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    > Anyone who listens to most of these shit groups deserve to be infected.

    A useless comment, as usual. Who cares what you value in music? You have
    an incredible ego to believe that we care.

    Alpha, Dec 7, 2005
  4. Goro

    kaboom Guest

    On 7 Dec 2005 08:26:20 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >Yeah, I know, "no shit". THere have been various problems associated
    >with the SucOmm mediamax DRM that Sony has put on its CDs far before
    >teh latest XCP fiasco. But now there's news that MediaMax also
    >COMPROMISES your computer.

    **I put the Alicia Keys CD into my computer at work. I was only going
    to listen to it. It looked like it loaded something on the computer,
    but far too fast for me to react and then spit up a EULA. After
    reading a lot of it, I said, no damn way, and it spit the CD back out.
    I haven't even listened to the whole CD because I won't play it on a
    computer.

    Today, after reading Brian Krebs Security Fix blog, I checked my work
    computer and found that there was now a Suncomm Shared file but I
    couldn't find that suspect driver (win98 at work). I'm furious that it
    installed files and garbage despite the fact that I said no. Even
    though I couldn't find the driver, if it's on there somewhere, it
    could activate permanently if I stick another Mediamax CD in the
    computer and deny that EULA as well. That won't be happening of
    course.

    Screw Sony and the RIAA. I do not download songs or movies, I rarely
    make copies of CDs and I have an enormous collection of CDs and DVDs.
    Nice way to shit on the people actually spending money on your
    product. From now on, I will be closely watching my purchases.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Dec 7, 2005
  5. Goro

    Goro Guest

    kaboom wrote:
    > On 7 Dec 2005 08:26:20 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Yeah, I know, "no shit". THere have been various problems associated
    > >with the SucOmm mediamax DRM that Sony has put on its CDs far before
    > >teh latest XCP fiasco. But now there's news that MediaMax also
    > >COMPROMISES your computer.

    > **I put the Alicia Keys CD into my computer at work. I was only going
    > to listen to it. It looked like it loaded something on the computer,
    > but far too fast for me to react and then spit up a EULA. After
    > reading a lot of it, I said, no damn way, and it spit the CD back out.
    > I haven't even listened to the whole CD because I won't play it on a
    > computer.
    >
    > Today, after reading Brian Krebs Security Fix blog, I checked my work
    > computer and found that there was now a Suncomm Shared file but I
    > couldn't find that suspect driver (win98 at work). I'm furious that it
    > installed files and garbage despite the fact that I said no. Even
    > though I couldn't find the driver, if it's on there somewhere, it
    > could activate permanently if I stick another Mediamax CD in the
    > computer and deny that EULA as well. That won't be happening of
    > course.
    >
    > Screw Sony and the RIAA. I do not download songs or movies, I rarely
    > make copies of CDs and I have an enormous collection of CDs and DVDs.
    > Nice way to shit on the people actually spending money on your
    > product. From now on, I will be closely watching my purchases.
    >
    > kaboomie\

    yhes this is an absolutely insane bit. You can decline the EULA but it
    still installs the software. wtf?! And sony's EULA is prety damb
    insane, too. Like if you get burglarized and they steal your cds, you
    have to delete the songs off your computer. If you move outo fthe
    country, you have to delete the songs off your computer.

    Sony sucks... i might put this in my .sig

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 8, 2005