Sony's DSC-F828 Cyber-shot Camera 8 megapixels for $999

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sasquatch, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. sasquatch

    sasquatch Guest

    sasquatch, Jan 18, 2004

  2. > The DSC-F717 is a great camera, but from what I read about the DSC-F828,
    > with 8.0 MP and microdrive storage and RAW image format, how can you go
    > wrong?

    Weight, operating ergonomics, colour reproduction .... many ways!

    Be sure to check the Minolta A1 as a comparison.

    David J Taylor, Jan 18, 2004

  3. sasquatch

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <UFCOb.4025$>,
    "sasquatch" <> wrote:

    > I was thinking of purchasing the Sony DSC-F717 for $699.00, but I came
    > across this preorder special for the DSC-F828 at Get a LifeStyle, preorder
    > price is $999.00:
    > http://www.getalifestyle.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid
    > =260
    >
    > The DSC-F717 is a great camera, but from what I read about the DSC-F828,
    > with 8.0 MP and microdrive storage and RAW image format, how can you go
    > wrong?

    I had the 717 and now have the 828. So far - Great Camera.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 18, 2004
  4. sasquatch

    John Hughes Guest

    John Hughes, Jan 18, 2004
  5. sasquatch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    >>The DSC-F717 is a great camera, but from what I read about the DSC-F828,
    >>with 8.0 MP and microdrive storage and RAW image format, how can you go
    >>wrong?

    > Weight, operating ergonomics, colour reproduction .... many ways!
    >
    > Be sure to check the Minolta A1 as a comparison.

    What one wants, or needs bears strongly on what is 'right' or 'wrong' in
    a camera. If one wants a simple camera that will fit in a shirt pocket,
    then the F828 certainly is NOT the 'right' camera.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 19, 2004
  6. sasquatch

    Stewy Guest

    "sasquatch" <> wrote in message
    > I was thinking of purchasing the Sony DSC-F717 for $699.00, but I came
    > across this preorder special for the DSC-F828 at Get a LifeStyle, preorder
    > price is $999.00:

    http://www.getalifestyle.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&s
    id=260

    > The DSC-F717 is a great camera, but from what I read about the DSC-F828,
    > with 8.0 MP and microdrive storage and RAW image format, how can you go
    > wrong?

    Careful - You'll need to spend at least $100 more the moment you buy it.
    You'll need another InfoLithium battery. Bigger memory sticks than the
    paltry 16mb thing that comes with the camera and if you want to charge the
    batteries outside the camera, add around $60 for that.

    Stewy, Jan 19, 2004
  7. "Stewy" <> wrote:
    > "sasquatch" <> wrote:

    > > I was thinking of purchasing the Sony DSC-F717 for $699.00, but I came
    > > across this preorder special for the DSC-F828 at Get a LifeStyle,

    preorder
    > > price is $999.00:

    http://www.getalifestyle.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&s
    > id=260
    > >
    > > The DSC-F717 is a great camera, but from what I read about the DSC-F828,
    > > with 8.0 MP and microdrive storage and RAW image format, how can you go
    > > wrong?

    > Careful - You'll need to spend at least $100 more the moment you buy it.
    > You'll need another InfoLithium battery.

    I bought a second battery for my F707 ... and never used it. Unless you have
    specific need for a _lot_ of shooting, buying a second InfoLithium battery
    is a waste of money.

    > Bigger memory sticks than the
    > paltry 16mb thing that comes with the camera

    The last I checked, up to 256 MB MS Pros weren't that outrageously
    expensive, and you can use your CF cards or microdrives if you have any. No
    more expensive than any other camera.

    > and if you want to charge the
    > batteries outside the camera, add around $60 for that.

    Charging in the camera works fine. As does using the camera as a charger.
    (Well, for the F707. But it's a good bet the F828 is pretty similar.)

    The Sony InfoLithium battery really is seriously amazing, and is just one of
    the many things that makes using the F707 (and presumably, F828) a pleasure.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 19, 2004
  8. sasquatch

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <buge9k$556$>,
    "Stewy" <> wrote:

    > You'll need another InfoLithium battery. Bigger memory sticks than the
    > paltry 16mb thing that comes with the camera and if you want to charge the
    > batteries outside the camera, add around $60 for that.

    The 828 comes with no memory stick or CF card. I have 2 batteries but
    find that the batteries are so efficient I have rarely had to change
    batteries while shooting on the 717 or the 828.
    Yes they do sell accessory chargers for outside the battery charging.

    So 1 out of 3 isn't too bad. Help you make the Hall of Fame if you
    constantly average .333 in baseball.

    Pretty sloppy though as an average for advice.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 19, 2004
  9. On 2004-01-18, sasquatch <> wrote:
    > I was thinking of purchasing the Sony DSC-F717 for $699.00, but I came
    > across this preorder special for the DSC-F828 at Get a LifeStyle, preorder
    > price is $999.00:
    > http://www.getalifestyle.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=260
    >
    > The DSC-F717 is a great camera, but from what I read about the DSC-F828,
    > with 8.0 MP and microdrive storage and RAW image format, how can you go
    > wrong?

    The F828 is almost blind. At 200 ISO it is about as sensitive as the
    Canon EOS 300D at 125 ISO. But allready at 64 ISO the F828 has more
    noise in the pictures than the the EOS 300D has at 4-800 ISO.

    So it is almost 1 stop slower than other cameras, and 3-4 stops
    more noisy.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 19, 2004
  10. Bob Salomon <> wrote in

    > I had the 717 and now have the 828. So far - Great Camera.

    Bob, how's the shutter lag? That's the one thing I detest about my 707.

    --
    Albert Nurick

    '97 Honda Pacific Coast
    '93 Honda Helix
    '87 Honda Helix

    Albert Nurick, Jan 19, 2004
  11. sasquatch

    Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:13:24 GMT, "sasquatch" <>
    wrote:

    >I was thinking of purchasing the Sony DSC-F717 for $699.00, but I

    came
    >across this preorder special for the DSC-F828 at Get a LifeStyle,

    preorder
    >price is $999.00:
    >http://www.getalifestyle.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=260
    >
    >The DSC-F717 is a great camera, but from what I read about the

    DSC-F828,
    >with 8.0 MP and microdrive storage and RAW image format, how can you

    go
    >wrong?

    As a huge SOny fan and owner of the S85, F707 and V1, I couldn't wait
    for the F828 to come out. When I started seeing the results from test
    F828's it gave me pause. Now the camera is in full release and I
    still won't buy one. These pictures I'm seeing from F828 are not that
    great. So why would I spend ANOTHER 1000 for a camera that doesn't
    shoot much better then the last few models? If you have you heart set
    on Sony pick up a F707 or F717 and save some money while capturing
    better pictures.

    Reading the Sony talk forum one must wonder if some of the posters are
    delusional. I've learned a lot over there and from Phil Askey, but I
    now question their judgement since the F828 came out. Read Phil's
    summery on the F828 review. It's like he's giving out a recommend as
    a gift based on emotion.

    I would love to own a F828 IF Sony can FIX it.
    --
    Like a game of pick up stick played by fucking lunatics

    , Jan 19, 2004
  12. sasquatch

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <Xns94757C6C6FB60pc800@24.93.43.121>,
    Albert Nurick <> wrote:

    > Bob Salomon <> wrote in
    >
    > > I had the 717 and now have the 828. So far - Great Camera.

    > Bob, how's the shutter lag? That's the one thing I detest about my 707.

    It seems much faster then my 717 or any of the Coolpix models I had from
    the 950 to the 5700.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 19, 2004
  13. sasquatch

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I would love to own a F828 IF Sony can FIX it.

    I do own one after having the 717 and have no complaints. And, yes, I
    have read the reviews. However I have been in the photography business
    since the mid 1950s and have learned to test it myself, under the
    conditions I will use it and form my own judgement. So far I am very
    pleased.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 19, 2004
  14. sasquatch

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Reading the Sony talk forum one must wonder if some of the posters are
    > delusional. I've learned a lot over there and from Phil Askey, but I
    > now question their judgement since the F828 came out. Read Phil's
    > summery on the F828 review. It's like he's giving out a recommend as
    > a gift based on emotion.
    >
    > I would love to own a F828 IF Sony can FIX it.

    I have the 717 and the 5mp Mavicam, and LOVE them both. Still, I
    wouldn't consider the 828 as a "Replacement" for the 717.

    I've been able to do some very profitable work with the 717 and even the
    Mavicam, and I MIGHT get an 828 later on AFTER I get a dslr (probably a
    Canon, unless Sony comes out with one).

    I'de like a chance to play with the color from an 828, but I dont feel a
    need for a camera that is basicaly noiser than what Im using.

    Larry

    Larry, Jan 19, 2004
  15. sasquatch

    Larry Guest

    In article <bob_salomon-097205.14460419012004@news-
    east.ash.giganews.com>, says...
    > I do own one after having the 717 and have no complaints. And, yes, I
    > have read the reviews. However I have been in the photography business
    > since the mid 1950s and have learned to test it myself, under the
    > conditions I will use it and form my own judgement. So far I am very
    > pleased.
    >
    > --
    > To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    My only reason for not jumping up to get one right away is simple, I
    have a relative who sent me several cdrs of raw images, and some un-
    edited jpgs, and I just didn't see a thosand dollars worth of "better"
    in them. It takes fine pictures, certainly, but not enough to justify
    $999, when I already have the 717 to shoot with.

    I got my 717 for a hell of a bargain price (mid $500 range) onsale at
    SEARS, of all places!

    When they start to carry the 828, and they are having a SALE, then I'll
    swoop down on one.

    Larry

    Larry, Jan 19, 2004
  16. sasquatch

    Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:46:04 -0500, Bob Salomon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I would love to own a F828 IF Sony can FIX it.

    >I do own one after having the 717 and have no complaints. And, yes, I
    >have read the reviews. However I have been in the photography

    business
    >since the mid 1950s and have learned to test it myself, under the
    >conditions I will use it and form my own judgement. So far I am very
    >pleased.

    Bob,

    I'm glad you are happy with it. Hey if it works for you great. What
    type of photography do you do if I may ask? I'm also curious to know
    if you feel it is $1000 better then the F717?

    I would love to be proven wrong on the F828. I just can't get over
    the pictures I've seen posted. I mean, I'm not a professional
    photographer, but I know that the pics I've seen are not good.
    --
    Like a game of pick up stick played by fucking lunatics

    , Jan 19, 2004
  17. sasquatch

    bmoag Guest

    This is the most badmouthed camera since the Sigma foveon.
    It is a great camera.
    Repeat: the Sony 828 is a great camera.
    It is not perfect either ergonomically or technically.
    What is?
    If you want an SLR with interchangeable lenses it is not for you.
    If you already have a high quality 5+mp camera it will not give noticeably
    better results.
    If you are willing to spend $1000 for the best all in one camera on the
    market the Sony 828 is it.
    The only real problem with noise with this camera comes from people who
    don't know what they are talking about.

    bmoag, Jan 20, 2004
  18. sasquatch

    Rick Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message news:GL%Ob.3469$...
    > This is the most badmouthed camera since the Sigma foveon.
    > It is a great camera.
    > Repeat: the Sony 828 is a great camera.

    What a troll.

    Anyone even thinking of believing this nonsense is invited to
    read any of the formal reviews posted about the F828:

    "Too much purple fringing for such an expensive camera"
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_f828-review/index.shtml

    "Strong visible chromatic aberrations in backlit or reflections in
    bright sunny conditions"

    "Higher noise levels than the current crop of five megapixel digital
    cameras"

    "Potential hue shift on overexposed greens"

    "Visible sharpening 'white halo' around black lines"

    "Barrel distortion at wide angle"

    "Difficult to get good macro performance without barrel distortion"

    "Annoying shutter release locking issue where you must wait before
    re-pressing"

    "No user settings / memories"

    And my personal favorite:

    "Very small photosite compromising image quality (marketing over
    quality)?"

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/page21.asp

    Simply put, the F828 sucks. Unlike the F717, which kept its retail
    value for close to a year, look for prices on the F828 to plummet
    within a few months. At $1000 it's a royal ripoff, at $500 or $600
    one could make a better case for buying one.

    > It is not perfect either ergonomically or technically.
    > What is?
    > If you want an SLR with interchangeable lenses it is not for you.
    > If you already have a high quality 5+mp camera it will not give noticeably
    > better results.
    > If you are willing to spend $1000 for the best all in one camera on the
    > market the Sony 828 is it.
    > The only real problem with noise with this camera comes from people who
    > don't know what they are talking about.

    Yeah, people like Phil Askey and Jeff Keller are real noobies.
    Sheesh.

    Rick

    Rick, Jan 20, 2004
  19. "bmoag" <> wrote in message

    > The only real problem with noise with this camera comes from people who
    > don't know what they are talking about.

    How would you view the 828 versus the Minolta A1?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 20, 2004
  20. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit> wrote in
    message news:Y08Pb.4604$...

    > "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > The only real problem with noise with this camera comes from people who
    > > don't know what they are talking about.

    Not so. The signal/noise ration is far higher than on a DSLR - that much is
    factual.

    If you personally find that acceptable, then that is ok. Other people don't,
    thats ok too.

    Manfred von Richthofen, Jan 20, 2004