Sony's BR Disc won't downrez to component

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    So Sony's realizing that MANY HDTVs out there have component only (or
    DVI w/o HDCP). Sending proper HD thru component is a very wise
    decision. Surprsing. but wise.

    -goro-

    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...downconvert-bluray-hd-on-old-hdtvs-160358.php

    Here's one less worry for those of us looking forward to Blu-ray:
    Sony's Don Eklund, Senior Vice President for Advanced Technologies,
    said that all of Sony's Blu-ray disks will be free of that digital
    flag that tells the player to down-rez the HD signal if there's no
    HDMI cable present. Called the "image constraint token," it
    threatens to lower the resolution to standard-definition quality if
    users try to output video in component format.

    This means that HDTVs that aren't equipped with the HDCP copy
    protection will still be able to play the new discs. Eklund said that
    Sony was more concerned about piracy of the digital HDTV signal rather
    than analog signals coming through component cables. Sounds like the
    Sony we know and love is getting itself a clue. Now let's see if the
    HD DVD disk peddlers will follow suit.
    Goro, Mar 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Goro

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > So Sony's realizing that MANY HDTVs out there have component only (or
    > DVI w/o HDCP). Sending proper HD thru component is a very wise
    > decision. Surprsing. but wise.


    Note that this only refers to Blu-Ray discs authored by Sony, not to the
    Blu-Ray format as a whole. Other studios may choose to use the ICT flag,
    and if so a Blu-Ray player of any make will be forced to downconvert the
    image.

    This is exactly the same as what is happening on the HD-DVD side.
    Joshua Zyber, Mar 15, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Goro

    GMAN Guest

    In article <d0JRf.11893$>, "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >"Goro" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> So Sony's realizing that MANY HDTVs out there have component only (or
    >> DVI w/o HDCP). Sending proper HD thru component is a very wise
    >> decision. Surprsing. but wise.

    >
    >Note that this only refers to Blu-Ray discs authored by Sony, not to the
    >Blu-Ray format as a whole. Other studios may choose to use the ICT flag,
    >and if so a Blu-Ray player of any make will be forced to downconvert the
    >image.
    >
    >This is exactly the same as what is happening on the HD-DVD side.
    >
    >

    But since Sony wont use it, the other studios will follow suite since they will
    not want their product looking inferior to Sony studio's product.
    GMAN, Mar 15, 2006
    #3
  4. Goro

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    news:dv807t$cv8$...
    > But since Sony wont use it, the other studios will follow suite since
    > they will
    > not want their product looking inferior to Sony studio's product.


    Copy protection has nothing to do with their product "looking inferior".
    Nothing at all. Studios will choose to use or not use the ICT flag
    depending on how paranoid they are about piracy. Many of them are very,
    very paranoid about it.
    Joshua Zyber, Mar 15, 2006
    #4
  5. Goro

    Mark Jones Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > news:dv807t$cv8$...
    >> But since Sony wont use it, the other studios will follow suite since
    >> they will
    >> not want their product looking inferior to Sony studio's product.

    >
    > Copy protection has nothing to do with their product "looking
    > inferior". Nothing at all. Studios will choose to use or not use the
    > ICT flag depending on how paranoid they are about piracy. Many of
    > them are very, very paranoid about it.


    I won't buy into either format if they downgrade the signal just
    because I use the component inputs on both of my HDTVs.

    The only reason for me to consider HD is if the image will
    be substantially cleaner than my two progressive scan DVD
    players can generate. If the signal is downgraded too close
    to the image quality that I already have, there will be no reason
    to buy a new player and movies.

    I have purchased a lot of DVDs and the studios will lose out
    on HD sales to me if they make it so it isn't worth doing.
    Mark Jones, Mar 15, 2006
    #5
  6. Goro

    Goro Guest

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article <d0JRf.11893$>, "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    > >"Goro" <> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > >> So Sony's realizing that MANY HDTVs out there have component only (or
    > >> DVI w/o HDCP). Sending proper HD thru component is a very wise
    > >> decision. Surprsing. but wise.

    > >
    > >Note that this only refers to Blu-Ray discs authored by Sony, not to the
    > >Blu-Ray format as a whole. Other studios may choose to use the ICT flag,
    > >and if so a Blu-Ray player of any make will be forced to downconvert the
    > >image.
    > >
    > >This is exactly the same as what is happening on the HD-DVD side.
    > >
    > >

    > But since Sony wont use it, the other studios will follow suite since they will
    > not want their product looking inferior to Sony studio's product.


    Sony's software division has realized that a substantial base of HD TVs
    (ie., potential customers) do not have HDCP so if they downrez on
    component, they are immediately alienating them. I'm sure that the
    rest of the studios will follow suit as they realize that it is in
    their own best interest to have an HD-disc playback unit adopted by the
    public.

    HOWEVER, realize that Sony (electronics division) put the ICT flag in
    the spec BECAUSE OF THE STUDIOS (in paritcular b/c of their panic about
    piracy). So, expect that eventually BR discs WILL all implement the
    ICT flag. And by then, if you have a non-compat HDTV and you bought
    it, you're S.O.L. :p

    -goro-
    Goro, Mar 15, 2006
    #6
  7. Goro

    Mark Jones Guest

    Goro wrote:
    > HOWEVER, realize that Sony (electronics division) put the ICT flag in
    > the spec BECAUSE OF THE STUDIOS (in paritcular b/c of their panic
    > about piracy). So, expect that eventually BR discs WILL all
    > implement the ICT flag. And by then, if you have a non-compat HDTV
    > and you bought it, you're S.O.L. :p

    They are the one trying to sell HD players and disks. If they make
    them so there is no compelling reason to buy them, they will make
    fewer sales.
    Mark Jones, Mar 15, 2006
    #7
  8. Goro

    Guest

    I've sure someone out there is working on a way to defeat/ignore the
    flag as we speak, just like they found a way to make players region
    free/code free.

    Regards,

    Gene Pokopac
    , Mar 16, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Wootikus

    DVD 2 disc vs. DVD 1 disc? Confused

    Wootikus, Sep 25, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    1,874
    Steve(JazzHunter)
    Sep 28, 2003
  2. Otto Pylot
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,506
    LASERandDVDfan
    Apr 18, 2004
  3. Allan
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    921
    Allan
    Jul 11, 2005
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    "Disc Cannot Be Played... Please Check The Disc"?

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 11, 2007, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    883
    (PeteCresswell)
    Jan 13, 2007
  5. Southern Kiwi

    I WON, I WON, I WON !!!!!

    Southern Kiwi, Jun 12, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    603
    Crumb
    Jun 13, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page