    clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    format...."

    Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray

    Nomen Nescio, Jan 9, 2008

  2. Nomen Nescio

    Beer Guest

    "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
    > clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    > format...."
    >
    > Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray

    Profile 1.0, 1.1. 1.2. 2.0. 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 and so on and so on..

    Mine is non upgradable 1.0..nice..

    Beta Ray.

    Beer, Jan 9, 2008

  3. Nomen Nescio

    Billy Guest

    > "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
    > clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    > format...."
    >
    > Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray

    3 million so far is not millions :)

    Billy, Jan 9, 2008
  4. Nomen Nescio

    Big Daddy Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    >> "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
    >> clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    >> format...."
    >>
    >> Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray
    >>

    > 3 million so far is not millions :)

    ???

    an S on the end of million implies more than 1 million. 3 is definitely
    more than 1, no?

    Big Daddy, Jan 9, 2008
  5. Nomen Nescio

    Tarkus Guest

    Billy wrote:
    > "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    >> "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
    >> clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    >> format...."
    >>
    >> Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray

    > 3 million so far is not millions :)

    Then you have a different definition of plurality from the rest of us.

    If you have 3 computers, do you say "I have three computer"?

    Tarkus, Jan 9, 2008
  6. Nomen Nescio

    boodybandit Guest

    "TheGame" <> wrote in message
    > Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
    > number of PS3s sold...

    Link?

    boodybandit, Jan 9, 2008
  7. Nomen Nescio

    Big Daddy Guest

    "boodybandit" <> wrote in message

    > "TheGame" <> wrote in message
    >> Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
    >> number of PS3s sold...

    > Link?

    I've heard now 500k, 750k, 800k, and 1.3 Billion(my personal favorite :)

    I've HEARD all these numbers, but I've yet to see any source other than some
    blog (and in most cases like the above, not even that).

    At least with the MS buyout rumor (and it could very well be that) the $ was
    consistent (500k) and the reports were coming from credible sites, if not
    straight out of the months of spokesmen.

    Big Daddy, Jan 9, 2008
  8. Nomen Nescio

    T.B. Guest

    "Tarkus" wrote:

    (snip)
    >> "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message

    >> 3 million so far is not millions :)

    > Then you have a different definition of plurality from the rest of us.
    >
    > If you have 3 computers, do you say "I have three computer"?

    HA!

    T.B.

    T.B., Jan 9, 2008
  9. Big Daddy wrote:
    > "boodybandit" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"TheGame" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
    >>>number of PS3s sold...

    >>Link?

    > I've heard now 500k, 750k, 800k, and 1.3 Billion(my personal favorite :)
    >
    > I've HEARD all these numbers, but I've yet to see any source other than some
    > blog (and in most cases like the above, not even that).

    And so much more credible than Warner and New Line's OWN EXECS saying
    "Two formats was confusing our consumers and slowing back sales."

    > At least with the MS buyout rumor (and it could very well be that) the $ was
    > consistent (500k) and the reports were coming from credible sites, if not
    > straight out of the months of spokesmen.

    And was also coming from the ACTUAL PEOPLE who'd gotten the money--
    We wouldn't even have known the figure was $150M, if Jeffrey Katzenberg
    hadn't sung like a stool-canary to the NYT.

    What's so flat-out giggle-worthy about the "Sony bribe" theories, is the
    puppy-dog desperation with which HD-DVD *wants* the other side to suffer
    some terrible, humiliating crushing blow to their image too, and then
    maybe customer sentiment will be magically equal again--
    Even in the first weeks after the Bribe, the biggest HD defense was "Oh
    yeah, well...Sony used to bribe people too!--What about all that money
    the other companies took!"

    ....Methinks the fat lady doth protest too much. ;)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 9, 2008
  10. Nomen Nescio

    Billy Guest

    > "TheGame" <> wrote in message
    >> Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
    >> number of PS3s sold...

    > Link?

    google broke?

    It was 620 million

    Billy, Jan 9, 2008
  11. Nomen Nescio

    Billy Guest

    "The alMIGHTY N" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 9, 5:05 pm, "boodybandit" <> wrote:
    >> "TheGame" <> wrote in message

    >> > Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
    >> > number of PS3s sold...

    >> Link?

    > Even Bill Hunt of TheDigitalBits.com, who has been a Blu-Ray whore for
    > quite some time now, acknowledges the payoff, but cites it as the way
    > business works just like in every other industry.
    >
    > Anyway, this just means that the $500 million was more than whatever
    > Toshiba offered Warner... (and Fox's alleged last-minute refusal to go
    > HD-DVD exclusive might have contributed).

    He's a Sony shill I don't read or believe anything that POS says. That is
    coming from a Beta Ray supporter.

    Billy, Jan 9, 2008
  12. Nomen Nescio

    mark johnson Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > "boodybandit" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "TheGame" <> wrote in message
    >>> Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
    >>> number of PS3s sold...

    >> Link?
    >>

    > google broke?
    >
    > It was 620 million

    So I wonder how much Paramount and Universal have just been paid to go back
    to Blu-Ray?

    http://formatwarcentral.com/index.p...l-bits-paramount-and-universal-are-going-blu/

    mark johnson, Jan 9, 2008
  13. Nomen Nescio

    Happy Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    >> "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
    >> clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    >> format...."
    >>
    >> Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray
    >>

    > 3 million so far is not millions :)

    I think all u idiots missed the smiley there before the preaching? Bait and
    hook.

    Happy, Jan 9, 2008
  14. Nomen Nescio

    Camper Guest

    "mark johnson" <> wrote in message

    > "Billy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "boodybandit" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "TheGame" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Link?
    >>>

    >> google broke?
    >>
    >> It was 620 million
    >>

    > So I wonder how much Paramount and Universal have just been paid to go
    > back to Blu-Ray?
    >

    > http://formatwarcentral.com/index.p...l-bits-paramount-and-universal-are-going-blu/

    Nothing is official yet. But it's pretty obvious that they will soon..du

    Camper, Jan 9, 2008
  15. Nomen Nescio

    boodybandit Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > "boodybandit" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "TheGame" <> wrote in message
    >>> Me thinks it was more about the $500 million sony gave WB than the
    >>> number of PS3s sold...

    >> Link?
    >>

    > google broke?
    >
    > It was 620 million

    Link?

    boodybandit, Jan 10, 2008
  16. mark johnson wrote:

    >>google broke?
    >>
    >>It was 620 million

    > So I wonder how much Paramount and Universal have just been paid to go back
    > to Blu-Ray?
    >
    > http://formatwarcentral.com/index.p...l-bits-paramount-and-universal-are-going-blu/

    Universal "chose" HD much earlier (ahemmicrosoftlapdog) than Paramount,
    so naturally their eighteen-month renewable contract expires twelve
    months earlier--
    Otherwise, it's on the same "So, wanna enjoy the 'fun' for one more
    round?" system that, like Paramount, they may be deciding to sit out
    once they got the free and open chance...Loopy Craig Kornblau rallying
    notwithstanding.

    As noted, Paramount/DW's contract was different from Universal's, in
    that they were actually *persuaded* that, oh sure, Warner and Fox would
    be along any moment!
    Since Toshiba honestly believed that, Paramount's lawyers can't nullify
    the contract under false pretenses, but it does account for Paramount
    insisting on that opt-out clause that they weren't going to let Warner
    show them up in the marketplace--They knew that the entire War revolved
    around Warner and Fox's influence, and they weren't going to let
    themselves be *that* much of a patsy...

    (And refresh memory, was it Fox's or Disney's executive who was the
    first one to flat-out call the Toshiba bribe a bribe in public at that
    one meeting, while everyone else was being corporately tactful about
    P/DW's "unfortunate choice" and "promotional incentives"?)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 10, 2008
  17. "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > Billy wrote:
    >> "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    >>> "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
    >>> clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    >>> format...."
    >>>
    >>> Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/Bluray

    >> 3 million so far is not millions :)

    > Then you have a different definition of plurality from the rest of us.
    >
    > If you have 3 computers, do you say "I have three computer"?

    Yes, only if he is Asian with a limited command of the English language. :p

    Alan Rutlidge, Jan 10, 2008
  18. Nomen Nescio

    Parks Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 9, 9:00 am, Nomen Nescio <> wrote:
    >> "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
    >> clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    >> format...."
    >>
    >> Business Week article:http://easyurl.net/Bluray

    > I don't think it was that breakthrough... I think it was Warner
    > closely monitoring the sales of Blade Runner and the Harry Potter
    > movies on both formats.
    >
    > From what I understand the Blu-Ray movies out-sold the HD-DVD versions
    > 3:2. I wouldn't consider that significant, but it was enough for the
    > bean-counters to go "ZOMG! 50% more sales on Blu-Ray!"
    >
    > - Jordan

    That and 500 or 600 million to switch.

    Parks, Jan 10, 2008
  19. Parks wrote:
    > "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Jan 9, 9:00 am, Nomen Nescio <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
    >>>clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    >>>format...."
    >>>
    >>>Business Week article:http://easyurl.net/Bluray

    >>I don't think it was that breakthrough... I think it was Warner
    >>closely monitoring the sales of Blade Runner and the Harry Potter
    >>movies on both formats.
    >>
    >>From what I understand the Blu-Ray movies out-sold the HD-DVD versions
    >>3:2. I wouldn't consider that significant, but it was enough for the
    >>bean-counters to go "ZOMG! 50% more sales on Blu-Ray!"

    > That and 500 or 600 million to switch.

    Which would *nearly* recoup the amount that Warner had to spend on
    replacing all those mispackaged Harry Potter boxsets, which can often
    happen to fence-straddling companies that can't get their HD and Blu
    shipments straight...

    I don't know if you've ever PERSONALLY run a national studio
    disk-replacement program, but...they ain't cheap. -_-

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 10, 2008
  20. Nomen Nescio

    Paul Murray Guest

    On 2008-01-10, Jordan <> wrote:
    > On Jan 9, 9:00 am, Nomen Nescio <> wrote:
    >> "...the millions of PS3s Sony has sold since late in 2006 likely
    >> clinched Warner Bros. Entertainment's exclusive support for the Blu-ray
    >> format...."

    > I don't think it was that breakthrough... I think it was Warner
    > closely monitoring the sales of Blade Runner and the Harry Potter
    > movies on both formats.
    > From what I understand the Blu-Ray movies out-sold the HD-DVD versions
    > 3:2. I wouldn't consider that significant, but it was enough for the
    > bean-counters to go "ZOMG! 50% more sales on Blu-Ray!"

    But 40% less sales than releasing on both formats.

    Paul Murray, Jan 10, 2008