Sony vaio update.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joevan, Jan 6, 2007.

  1. joevan

    joevan Guest

    A bit of going but finally removed the bios battery, waited a while
    and reset all. Reloaded the old xp sony supplied and then and only
    then was able to update to xp pro. I think the old system was maybe
    flawed.
    I still have a small error somewhere in the bios as when rebooting
    option is f2 to find error or f1 to continue, whereby the machine
    starts and all works fine.
    I don't have any idea what the error would be. How do I find it?
    The machine is working great now and daughter is happy and does not
    mind the small kink of having to hit f1 each time the machine is
    started.
    joevan, Jan 6, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. joevan

    philo Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > A bit of going but finally removed the bios battery, waited a while
    > and reset all. Reloaded the old xp sony supplied and then and only
    > then was able to update to xp pro. I think the old system was maybe
    > flawed.
    > I still have a small error somewhere in the bios as when rebooting
    > option is f2 to find error or f1 to continue, whereby the machine
    > starts and all works fine.
    > I don't have any idea what the error would be. How do I find it?
    > The machine is working great now and daughter is happy and does not
    > mind the small kink of having to hit f1 each time the machine is
    > started.



    To find out what's causing the error...
    just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)
    philo, Jan 6, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:46:22 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >
    >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >news:p...
    >> A bit of going but finally removed the bios battery, waited a while
    >> and reset all. Reloaded the old xp sony supplied and then and only
    >> then was able to update to xp pro. I think the old system was maybe
    >> flawed.
    >> I still have a small error somewhere in the bios as when rebooting
    >> option is f2 to find error or f1 to continue, whereby the machine
    >> starts and all works fine.
    >> I don't have any idea what the error would be. How do I find it?
    >> The machine is working great now and daughter is happy and does not
    >> mind the small kink of having to hit f1 each time the machine is
    >> started.

    >
    >
    >To find out what's causing the error...
    >just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)
    >

    I guess I did that a few times and could not see what was causing the
    error. What do I look for? I am not real good with the bios settings.
    Any help would be welcome.
    joevan, Jan 6, 2007
    #3
  4. joevan

    philo Guest


    > >
    > >To find out what's causing the error...
    > >just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)
    > >

    > I guess I did that a few times and could not see what was causing the
    > error. What do I look for? I am not real good with the bios settings.
    > Any help would be welcome.


    Sometimes it's just as simple as making sure the date is right...
    then save and exit



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
    philo, Jan 6, 2007
    #4
  5. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 23:51:09 +0000, joevan Has Frothed:

    > On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:46:22 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >>news:p...
    >>> A bit of going but finally removed the bios battery, waited a while
    >>> and reset all. Reloaded the old xp sony supplied and then and only
    >>> then was able to update to xp pro. I think the old system was maybe
    >>> flawed.
    >>> I still have a small error somewhere in the bios as when rebooting
    >>> option is f2 to find error or f1 to continue, whereby the machine
    >>> starts and all works fine.
    >>> I don't have any idea what the error would be. How do I find it?
    >>> The machine is working great now and daughter is happy and does not
    >>> mind the small kink of having to hit f1 each time the machine is
    >>> started.

    >>
    >>
    >>To find out what's causing the error...
    >>just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)
    >>

    > I guess I did that a few times and could not see what was causing the
    > error. What do I look for? I am not real good with the bios settings.
    > Any help would be welcome.


    Maybe set to default values, or optimized or safe or something like that. :)

    --
    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Jan 7, 2007
    #5
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:30:25 -0500, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 23:51:09 +0000, joevan Has Frothed:
    >
    >> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:46:22 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >>>news:p...
    >>>> A bit of going but finally removed the bios battery, waited a while
    >>>> and reset all. Reloaded the old xp sony supplied and then and only
    >>>> then was able to update to xp pro. I think the old system was maybe
    >>>> flawed.
    >>>> I still have a small error somewhere in the bios as when rebooting
    >>>> option is f2 to find error or f1 to continue, whereby the machine
    >>>> starts and all works fine.
    >>>> I don't have any idea what the error would be. How do I find it?
    >>>> The machine is working great now and daughter is happy and does not
    >>>> mind the small kink of having to hit f1 each time the machine is
    >>>> started.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>To find out what's causing the error...
    >>>just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)
    >>>

    >> I guess I did that a few times and could not see what was causing the
    >> error. What do I look for? I am not real good with the bios settings.
    >> Any help would be welcome.

    >
    >Maybe set to default values, or optimized or safe or something like that. :)

    It was set to default values and still there is the message about an
    error. There is no floppy and I think maybe when the machine was new
    the guy had a floppy in it. I have checked that part of the bios and
    it seems to be correctly set, floppy disabled-yes.
    It is an older machine, could the bios be flashed to correct the
    problem?. I will check with everest, and see what it offers.
    joevan, Jan 7, 2007
    #6
  7. joevan

    philo Guest

    <snip>.
    > >
    > >Maybe set to default values, or optimized or safe or something like that.

    :)
    > It was set to default values and still there is the message about an
    > error. There is no floppy and I think maybe when the machine was new
    > the guy had a floppy in it. I have checked that part of the bios and
    > it seems to be correctly set, floppy disabled-yes.
    > It is an older machine, could the bios be flashed to correct the
    > problem?. I will check with everest, and see what it offers.



    don't fool around with a bios flash
    you could make things worse...

    if you cannot find the reason for the error message...i'd just ignore it
    as long as all else is ok
    philo, Jan 7, 2007
    #7
  8. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 07:08:53 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >
    ><snip>.
    >> >
    >> >Maybe set to default values, or optimized or safe or something like that.

    >:)
    >> It was set to default values and still there is the message about an
    >> error. There is no floppy and I think maybe when the machine was new
    >> the guy had a floppy in it. I have checked that part of the bios and
    >> it seems to be correctly set, floppy disabled-yes.
    >> It is an older machine, could the bios be flashed to correct the
    >> problem?. I will check with everest, and see what it offers.

    >
    >
    >don't fool around with a bios flash
    >you could make things worse...
    >
    >if you cannot find the reason for the error message...i'd just ignore it
    >as long as all else is ok
    >

    Makes good sense. I checked the date and it is all set. Maybe I will
    find the error or maybe not. Not a big problem and no reason to chance
    making things worse. Thanks.
    joevan, Jan 7, 2007
    #8
  9. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 07:08:53 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >don't fool around with a bios flash
    >you could make things worse...
    >
    >if you cannot find the reason for the error message...i'd just ignore it
    >as long as all else is ok
    >

    Just this and I wonder if it may be some of the problem. The bios date
    via Everest, is Sept, 01. over 5 years old. Just wondering if that
    could be a problem?
    joevan, Jan 7, 2007
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?RGhhbW1hMzI=?=

    Sony VAIO PCG-Z1VA not connecting to *some* wireless networks.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGhhbW1hMzI=?=, Jan 15, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,717
    =?Utf-8?B?RGhhbW1hMzI=?=
    Jan 15, 2006
  2. Jezebel

    Connection problem wioth Sony Vaio

    Jezebel, Jan 29, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,632
    Jezebel
    Jan 29, 2006
  3. Oy Vey!!

    Looking for Sony Vaio PCV90 floppy drive

    Oy Vey!!, Jul 18, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    578
    Oy Vey!!
    Jul 18, 2003
  4. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,088
    Comfortably Numb
    Jan 12, 2005
  5. Massimo MM
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    11,067
Loading...

Share This Page