Sony Vaio - playing mp3s disconnects modem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jules, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Jules

    Jules Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm posting on behalf of a friend here so afraid I can't provide as many
    details as I'd like.

    She has a Sony Vaio latop and when she uses dial-up via the modem
    everything works fine until she tries to play any mp3 files, at which
    point the laptop drops the modem connection.

    I got her to do a quick test playing some audio CDs and the connection
    seems to stay up - so I guess the problem's either related to CPU load
    (mp3 files needing more CPU power) or the way in which the laptop treats
    the CD audio stream differently from playing an mp3 file.

    The laptop's a model pcg fxa47, running Windows XP Pro. (I'm afraid I run
    linux on everything and don't know how Microsoft's versioning works - but
    she did mention "5.1 - 2600" to me, so possibly that's some form of
    service pack / build number information that may be helpful)

    The only modem details she gave me were that it's a "context 56" which
    may or may not be helpful. (probably not)

    It sounds like the laptop still becomes very sluggish when playing audio
    CDs though, so it sounds like something might be up with the audio
    configuration (or some setting in XP) - or the audio system on these
    latops is just plain awful...

    Any clues as to what might be going on? I believe these laptops have
    either a 1GHz or 1.2GHz CPU - which should be way more than is needed to
    handle a modem and an mp3 stream (even if most of the modem processing is
    done in software!)

    cheers

    Jules

    Jules, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Jules

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Jules posted ...

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm posting on behalf of a friend here so afraid I can't provide as
    > many details as I'd like.
    >
    > She has a Sony Vaio latop and when she uses dial-up via the modem
    > everything works fine until she tries to play any mp3 files, at which
    > point the laptop drops the modem connection.
    >
    > I got her to do a quick test playing some audio CDs and the connection
    > seems to stay up - so I guess the problem's either related to CPU load
    > (mp3 files needing more CPU power) or the way in which the laptop
    > treats the CD audio stream differently from playing an mp3 file.
    >
    > The laptop's a model pcg fxa47, running Windows XP Pro. (I'm afraid I
    > run linux on everything and don't know how Microsoft's versioning
    > works - but she did mention "5.1 - 2600" to me, so possibly that's
    > some form of service pack / build number information that may be
    > helpful)
    >
    > The only modem details she gave me were that it's a "context 56" which
    > may or may not be helpful. (probably not)
    >
    > It sounds like the laptop still becomes very sluggish when playing
    > audio CDs though, so it sounds like something might be up with the
    > audio configuration (or some setting in XP) - or the audio system on
    > these latops is just plain awful...
    >
    > Any clues as to what might be going on? I believe these laptops have
    > either a 1GHz or 1.2GHz CPU - which should be way more than is needed
    > to handle a modem and an mp3 stream (even if most of the modem
    > processing is done in software!)

    I run a 1.4 Vaio pcg FX701 .. pretty crap, but for £100 was a bargain ...
    Anyway, it _is_ a good move with these to upgrade the memory to 512 instead
    of the 256 standard. I know it doesn't sound much of a difference, but on
    my laptop, what used to be a sluggish but useful laptop is now a quite fast
    very useful and productive laptop ... ;)

    The sound system _is_ pretty crap. They're not built to be multimedia
    machines, no matter what Sony might think, the speakers are pretty dire ...

    I would suggest she checks the Device Manager, right click 'My Computer' -
    select properties - Hardware tab - Device Manager ... then scroll down to
    Modem and Sound, Video and game controllers and see if she has any problems
    with the installed devices. There may be a yellow exclamation mark by the
    side of the suspect device. It may also be worth trying to update some of
    the audio/modem devices and codecs while there ..

    --
    Paul

    Paul - xxx, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Jules wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm posting on behalf of a friend here so afraid I can't provide as many
    > details as I'd like.
    >
    > She has a Sony Vaio latop and when she uses dial-up via the modem
    > everything works fine until she tries to play any mp3 files, at which
    > point the laptop drops the modem connection.
    >
    > I got her to do a quick test playing some audio CDs and the connection
    > seems to stay up - so I guess the problem's either related to CPU load
    > (mp3 files needing more CPU power) or the way in which the laptop treats
    > the CD audio stream differently from playing an mp3 file.
    >
    > The laptop's a model pcg fxa47, running Windows XP Pro. (I'm afraid I run
    > linux on everything and don't know how Microsoft's versioning works - but
    > she did mention "5.1 - 2600" to me, so possibly that's some form of
    > service pack / build number information that may be helpful)
    >
    > The only modem details she gave me were that it's a "context 56" which
    > may or may not be helpful. (probably not)
    >
    > It sounds like the laptop still becomes very sluggish when playing audio
    > CDs though, so it sounds like something might be up with the audio
    > configuration (or some setting in XP) - or the audio system on these
    > latops is just plain awful...
    >
    > Any clues as to what might be going on? I believe these laptops have
    > either a 1GHz or 1.2GHz CPU - which should be way more than is needed to
    > handle a modem and an mp3 stream (even if most of the modem processing is
    > done in software!)

    If using winblows media player ... well later versions will try to
    connect to the internet - maybe media player trying to bring up ppp is
    confusing the modem ?

    Martin Slaney, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Jules

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Paul - xxx posted ...

    > Jules posted ...

    >> Any clues as to what might be going on? I believe these laptops have
    >> either a 1GHz or 1.2GHz CPU - which should be way more than is needed
    >> to handle a modem and an mp3 stream (even if most of the modem
    >> processing is done in software!)

    > I would suggest she checks the Device Manager, right click 'My
    > Computer' - select properties - Hardware tab - Device Manager ...
    > then scroll down to Modem and Sound, Video and game controllers and
    > see if she has any problems with the installed devices. There may
    > be a yellow exclamation mark by the side of the suspect device. It
    > may also be worth trying to update some of the audio/modem devices
    > and codecs while there ..

    Further to this ...

    I just tried a couple of things, playing about a bit, and it seems that my
    laptop varies greatly dependant upon the level of XP eye candy used. I am
    now running at minimum level and it's flying .. DVD's run fine while
    surfing, writing a Book (about a 1gig file size), and running Seti@home in
    the background, as well as ZA, AV and a couple of other services ..

    Try right clicking 'My Computer' on the desktop, then Properties -
    Advanced - Performance, Settings - Visual Effects tab - Check 'Adjust for
    best performance' ... ;)

    I guess the video card, as it uses main system ram, takes a greater chunk
    out of the processing power than I thought in this range of laptop .. ;)

    --
    Paul

    Paul - xxx, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Paul - xxx wrote:

    > Paul - xxx posted ...
    >
    >> Jules posted ...

    >>> Any clues as to what might be going on? I believe these laptops have
    >>> either a 1GHz or 1.2GHz CPU - which should be way more than is needed
    >>> to handle a modem and an mp3 stream (even if most of the modem
    >>> processing is done in software!)

    >> I would suggest she checks the Device Manager, right click 'My
    >> Computer' - select properties - Hardware tab - Device Manager ...
    >> then scroll down to Modem and Sound, Video and game controllers and
    >> see if she has any problems with the installed devices. There may
    >> be a yellow exclamation mark by the side of the suspect device. It
    >> may also be worth trying to update some of the audio/modem devices
    >> and codecs while there ..

    > Further to this ...
    >
    > I just tried a couple of things, playing about a bit, and it seems that my
    > laptop varies greatly dependant upon the level of XP eye candy used. I am
    > now running at minimum level and it's flying .. DVD's run fine while
    > surfing, writing a Book (about a 1gig file size), and running Seti@home in
    > the background, as well as ZA, AV and a couple of other services ..
    >
    > Try right clicking 'My Computer' on the desktop, then Properties -
    > Advanced - Performance, Settings - Visual Effects tab - Check 'Adjust for
    > best performance' ... ;)
    >
    > I guess the video card, as it uses main system ram, takes a greater chunk
    > out of the processing power than I thought in this range of laptop .. ;)

    You blame the video card?

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
    This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
    html.
    8:00pm up 94 days, 53 min, 9 users, load average: 0.11, 0.06, 0.01

    Jerry McBride, Jan 3, 2004