Sony Vaio Help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jedi Jonny, Jan 2, 2008.

  1. Jedi Jonny

    Jedi Jonny Guest

    I was given a Sony Vaio laptop a few months back and thought I would put it
    away to give it to my children as a christmas present.
    Oh Joy thought I... 2.4 Ghz, half a gig ram, and XP. it worked fine when I
    tested it on the first day I got it home, so I put it at the bottom of my
    wardrobe, where it could stay nice & dry until christmas.

    when I finally brought it out, it was dead. no life at all....
    Now, initially I thought that if I plug it in at the back, it should kick
    into life. Nope.
    then I thought to leave it for a few hours to charge the battery, which is
    after all "rechargeable"
    on the front there is four lights.
    The first one is a Stand-by (I think), which does come on as green
    The next two are battery lights. they are both orange
    The fourth, is possibly the hard-drive light, which is off.

    If I press the power button, these lights come on, but will not go off
    again. I have found that the only way to get them off is to open up the
    battery point and disconnect it.
    My thoughts are that it has a faulty / dead-ish battery but as I know
    nothing of laptops, then assumptions are all I have.

    Can any of you kind people share their knowledge on this subject ?

    Happy new year to you all
    Jedi Jonny, Jan 2, 2008

  2. Jedi Jonny

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Jedi Jonny" <> wrote in message

    <snipped>

    > Can any of you kind people share their knowledge on this subject ?

    You ever consider that's why it was given to you, because it had problems?

    I suggest you send it in somewhere and have an expert look at it.
    Mr. Arnold, Jan 2, 2008

  3. Jedi Jonny

    Jedi Jonny Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "Jedi Jonny" <> wrote in message
    >
    > <snipped>
    >
    > > Can any of you kind people share their knowledge on this subject ?
    > >

    > You ever consider that's why it was given to you, because it had problems?
    >
    > I suggest you send it in somewhere and have an expert look at it.

    That had crossed my mind, but I've been using this group long enough to know
    that theres a lot of talented people out there who are willing to share
    their knowledge. in my experience, taking it to an expert (anyone other
    than PC World), would be the last thing to do. I'm not being mean, truly
    I'm not, but I feel that I know enough about computers to know that I could
    at least try and fix it my own way before I pay to have it fixed.
    Jedi Jonny, Jan 2, 2008
  4. Jedi Jonny

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 02:36:28 GMT, "Jedi Jonny" <> wrote:

    >I was given a Sony Vaio laptop a few months back and thought I would put it
    >away to give it to my children as a christmas present.
    >Oh Joy thought I... 2.4 Ghz, half a gig ram, and XP. it worked fine when I
    >tested it on the first day I got it home, so I put it at the bottom of my
    >wardrobe, where it could stay nice & dry until christmas.
    >
    >when I finally brought it out, it was dead. no life at all....
    >Now, initially I thought that if I plug it in at the back, it should kick
    >into life. Nope.
    >then I thought to leave it for a few hours to charge the battery, which is
    >after all "rechargeable"
    >on the front there is four lights.
    >The first one is a Stand-by (I think), which does come on as green
    >The next two are battery lights. they are both orange
    >The fourth, is possibly the hard-drive light, which is off.
    >
    >If I press the power button, these lights come on, but will not go off
    >again. I have found that the only way to get them off is to open up the
    >battery point and disconnect it.
    >My thoughts are that it has a faulty / dead-ish battery but as I know
    >nothing of laptops, then assumptions are all I have.
    >
    >Can any of you kind people share their knowledge on this subject ?
    >
    >Happy new year to you all

    See if it will boot from a bootable CD. Try downloading one of the
    live Linux distros and use one of them.
    Alfred, Jan 2, 2008
  5. Jedi Jonny

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Jedi Jonny" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jedi Jonny" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <snipped>
    >>
    >> > Can any of you kind people share their knowledge on this subject ?
    >> >

    >> You ever consider that's why it was given to you, because it had
    >> problems?
    >>
    >> I suggest you send it in somewhere and have an expert look at it.
    >>

    > That had crossed my mind, but I've been using this group long enough to
    > know
    > that theres a lot of talented people out there who are willing to share
    > their knowledge. in my experience, taking it to an expert (anyone other
    > than PC World), would be the last thing to do. I'm not being mean, truly
    > I'm not, but I feel that I know enough about computers to know that I
    > could
    > at least try and fix it my own way before I pay to have it fixed.

    Like someone else said, put the Jeep Linux on it and see if that will bring
    power to the machine. If that doesn't do it for you, you have a door stop,
    until it's repaired.
    Mr. Arnold, Jan 3, 2008
  6. Jedi Jonny

    Jedi Jonny Guest

    Re: Sony Vaio - Sorted - sort of.

    Just thought I would add this after thought to my Sony Vaio problem that was
    not responding.
    I called a local shop who offered me a little advice, so I thought I would
    share it with anyone who might not know this.

    My laptop has a faulty battery, which I sort of knew about when I got it
    from a friend, but didn't think too much about.
    The battery has been so bad, that it stopped my laptop from even booting up.
    completely dead, other than a couple of power lights.

    What I didn't know is that Laptops work fine on the mains power, if you
    remove the battery.
    This is what I was told from someone in the repair shop when I called.
    He said to remove the battery completely, and it should boot up. if not,
    then its not the battery.
    Thankfully, I did this, and it booted up perfectly fine.

    Problem solved... for now

    The downside is that its going to cost me up to a hundred pounds to replace
    it with a new one.

    Bogus
    Jedi Jonny, Jan 4, 2008
  7. Jedi Jonny

    thanatoid Guest

    Re: Sony Vaio - Sorted - sort of.

    "Jedi Jonny" <> wrote in

    > Just thought I would add this after thought to my Sony Vaio
    > problem that was not responding.
    > I called a local shop who offered me a little advice, so I
    > thought I would share it with anyone who might not know
    > this.
    >
    > My laptop has a faulty battery, which I sort of knew about
    > when I got it from a friend, but didn't think too much
    > about. The battery has been so bad, that it stopped my
    > laptop from even booting up. completely dead, other than a
    > couple of power lights.
    >
    > What I didn't know is that Laptops work fine on the mains
    > power, if you remove the battery.

    If someone held a gun to my head and made me buy/use a laptop
    (and I wanted to keep on living), I would at least try to work
    out a "no-battery" clause in the contract.

    > This is what I was told from someone in the repair shop
    > when I called. He said to remove the battery completely,
    > and it should boot up. if not, then its not the battery.
    > Thankfully, I did this, and it booted up perfectly fine.
    >
    > Problem solved... for now
    >
    > The downside is that its going to cost me up to a hundred
    > pounds to replace it with a new one.

    Don't. Put it on a table and plug it in. You'll just end up
    dropping it (or your kids will, IIRC) otherwise. Guaranteed.

    Or spend the money on a desktop computer and pass the laptop
    curse onto someone else - as was done to you.

    > Bogus

    Yes, all laptops are.

    --
    Needless to say, I disdain such idiocies as Xmas and New Year's,
    but I'd thought I'd play along just once...

    thanatoid's New Year's Resolutions.

    01. Stop posting good advice to help newsgroups.
    02. Stop posting stupid advice to help newsgroups.
    03. Drive to see the Grand Canyon and then to Las Vegas, buy a
    gun.
    04. Gamble a little in a desperate attempt to fit in for once.
    05. Hire 5 of the best looking Las Vegas hookers and have a 3
    hour orgy.
    06. Have a king-size eggs and bacon and hashbrowns with onions
    breakfast.
    07. Return to hotel room, put gun in mouth and pull trigger.
    thanatoid, Jan 4, 2008
  8. Jedi Jonny

    umy

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    umy

    wher you form
    co no
    usmangani from surat gujarat 09879597710
    umy, Nov 9, 2012