Sony U30 inconsistently "losing" pictures on MemStick

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by steve@portigal.com, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I've got a Sony U30 still camera. It has a slider mechanism that moves
    the lens cover aside, and in doing so powers up the device into picture
    taking mode (or whatever mode it's in).

    A couple of months ago it crashed - it wouldn't really do anything and
    I had to take the batteries out and try to get it to come back to life.
    When I did, it worked again but when I arrived home and went to pull
    pics off the memory stick, many of them were missing. The numbers of
    the file names simply skipped all the missing images (from ....201 to
    .....224 for example). I got an undelete app and all the pictures were
    there, and recoverable.

    I think (but I'm not 100%) I formatted the Memory Stick at that point.

    Much later on, I found I slide the lens cover aside, and the image was
    black - specifically, the display came ON, and the information was laid
    on top of it, but there was no image seen. I closed and opened and
    still the same thing.

    But then I tried it a day later and it was fine.

    And the same thing happened on my last trip. AND, many of the pictures
    that were taken weren't on the Memory Stick until I used an undelete
    app to find 'em.

    I did try taking a picture with the black display and it only took a
    picture of blackness.

    Obviously, if it's going to fail some percentage of the time, it's not
    really something to rely on.

    Is this something anyone else has experienced with this or a similar
    camera? Any ideas on how to resolve it?

    Thanks so much for any guidance! Stressful stuff!

    , Oct 11, 2005

  2. TT Guest

    > Is this something anyone else has experienced with this or a similar
    > camera? Any ideas on how to resolve it?
    >
    > Thanks so much for any guidance! Stressful stuff!

    Have it checked out at a $ony $ervice Center

    Or rather, buy a new camera.

    -T

    TT, Oct 11, 2005

  3. John Bean Guest

    On 10 Oct 2005 18:57:59 -0700, wrote:
    >Much later on, I found I slide the lens cover aside, and the image was
    >black - specifically, the display came ON, and the information was laid
    >on top of it, but there was no image seen. I closed and opened and
    >still the same thing.

    You may be entitled to a free repair/replacement. See:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100701sony_ccds.asp

    Then get in touch with Sony.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean

    John Bean, Oct 11, 2005
  4. Guest

    , Oct 11, 2005
  5. John Bean Guest

    John Bean, Oct 11, 2005
  6. Guest

    I called; fought through "Max" (their IVR) and got a helpful guy who
    went through a script. Of course, my problem is intermittent, so they
    make you try things and see if that fixes it but I wasn't having the
    problem today so whatever did that prove? Fortunately, they said they
    would do the return and supposedly are sending me a UPS shipping label
    by email - we'll see when it arrives or if I need to followup. They
    were very helpful and didn't seem suspicious of my claim, just doing
    the script.

    , Oct 11, 2005
  7. Guest

    AND: THANK YOU SO MUCH! The timing of this is really wild and I would
    have never thought to look for a product recall or anything, so thank
    you for alerting me to it - I really appreciate it.

    , Oct 11, 2005
  8. John Bean Guest

    On 11 Oct 2005 15:45:30 -0700, wrote:

    >AND: THANK YOU SO MUCH! The timing of this is really wild and I would
    >have never thought to look for a product recall or anything, so thank
    >you for alerting me to it - I really appreciate it.

    Considering that I only saw it the day before your message
    it's an amazing coincidence. Out of interest do you live in
    a warm, humid place? It seems that the camera fault is
    probably caused by moisture getting into the sensor due to a
    manufacturing fault and affects a whole range of products
    from a wide range of manufacturers who use Sony sensors. My
    U30 seems unaffected (so far!) but it's nice to see that I'm
    covered by the repair/replacement offer for the next couple
    of years ;-)

    --
    Regards

    John Bean

    John Bean, Oct 12, 2005
  9. Guest

    I sent the camera in, and they just called me and said they had been
    testing it and there's nothing wrong with it. Damn intermittent
    problems. They said I needed to replace the rechargeables every six
    months; that they can cause strange behavior because they develop a
    memory etc. This sounds like the usual "tech support" stuff - they have
    a standard thing to blame. They said the CCD problem was not something
    this particular camera was dealing with.

    Does this replace-the-batteries thing ring true for anyone? I can't
    imagine how it would have enough power to start up and show the icons,
    but NOT show the viewscreen - that sounds like a hardware problem, not
    a battery problem. It's going to be hard to feel I can rely on this
    camera.

    , Oct 25, 2005
  10. John Bean Guest

    On 25 Oct 2005 11:38:38 -0700, wrote:
    >Does this replace-the-batteries thing ring true for anyone? I can't
    >imagine how it would have enough power to start up and show the icons,
    >but NOT show the viewscreen - that sounds like a hardware problem, not
    >a battery problem. It's going to be hard to feel I can rely on this
    >camera.

    No, it sounds like bullshit to me. And the U30 *is* on the
    list of cameras effected by the CCD problems. I think you
    need to gather the evidence (from the Sony press releases)
    and start to issue legal threats.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean

    John Bean, Oct 25, 2005
  11. Guest

    To clarify - they meant this particular camera, not this paritcular
    model, wasn't affected. They said it was only 1.2% of all their cameras
    had that problem (??) - but anyway, they didn't deny the recall, just
    that my camera in particular was having that problem.

    I hate intermittent problems - there's no way to get 'em fixed because
    of COURSE they don't happen when the repair people see 'em.

    , Oct 25, 2005
  12. John Bean Guest

    On 25 Oct 2005 14:57:36 -0700, wrote:

    >To clarify - they meant this particular camera, not this paritcular
    >model, wasn't affected. They said it was only 1.2% of all their cameras
    >had that problem (??) - but anyway, they didn't deny the recall, just
    >that my camera in particular was having that problem.

    Ah, I see. I don't like what I see though, your camera was
    displaying *exactly* the symptoms described in the press
    release. I seem to recall the release also said the effect
    was indeed intermittent. Ah, here it is:

    "... a limited number of Sony Digital Still Cameras ... may
    exhibit the following condition:

    When the Digital Still Camera is used in camera mode, the
    LCD panel and/or electronic viewfinder will show either a
    distorted image or no image."

    I read that to mean some cameras ("a limited number")
    sometimes but not always ("may") have a blank screen on
    power up.

    >I hate intermittent problems - there's no way to get 'em fixed because
    >of COURSE they don't happen when the repair people see 'em.

    Threaten them with legal action, quoting their own press
    release. Ask them why they are accusing you of lying about
    the symptoms that they claim don't exist but you've seen
    with your own eyes. Threaten to take it to the press or
    whatever. You know - the kind of stuff that you really
    *could* do if you wanted ;-)

    I'd guess they'll do the decent thing just to get you off
    their case.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean