Sony TRV230 vs. Sony TRV245 (UK Models)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J.B., Jul 15, 2003.

  1. J.B.

    J.B. Guest

    Hopefully someone out there has either of these camcorder models and
    can give me an unbiased view :)

    I've narrowed my choice down to these two and cannot decide which to
    get...

    The TRV230 is an older model but features Analogue-In which I would
    like to archive some old VHS tapes

    The TRV245 is a current model but doesn't feature DV or Analogue-In

    So basically, can anyone tell me is the picture/features of the more
    current TRV 245 so much superior to the TRV230 to warrant me buying it
    (the TRV245)

    Has anyone seen both models in action and can compare the picture
    quality between the two? Ideally I *would like* Analogue-In as a
    feature, but ultimately I'd prefer a budget digital camcorder with
    better picture quality...

    Any help MUCH APPRECIATED!

    Thanks in advance,
    J.B.
    J.B., Jul 15, 2003

  2. J.B.

    Guest

    On 14 Jul 2003 17:53:41 -0700, (J.B.) wrote:

    >Hopefully someone out there has either of these camcorder models and
    >can give me an unbiased view :)
    >
    >I've narrowed my choice down to these two and cannot decide which to
    >get...
    >
    >The TRV230 is an older model but features Analogue-In which I would
    >like to archive some old VHS tapes
    >
    >The TRV245 is a current model but doesn't feature DV or Analogue-In
    >
    >So basically, can anyone tell me is the picture/features of the more
    >current TRV 245 so much superior to the TRV230 to warrant me buying it
    >(the TRV245)
    >
    >Has anyone seen both models in action and can compare the picture
    >quality between the two? Ideally I *would like* Analogue-In as a
    >feature, but ultimately I'd prefer a budget digital camcorder with
    >better picture quality...
    >
    >Any help MUCH APPRECIATED!

    AFAIK the older D8 camcorders were often better than the new models.
    (The newer models have fewer features and are cheaper.) YMMV.

    Mark.
    , Jul 15, 2003

  3. J.B.

    - Guest

    (J.B.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hopefully someone out there has either of these camcorder models and
    > can give me an unbiased view :)
    >
    > I've narrowed my choice down to these two and cannot decide which to
    > get...
    >
    > The TRV230 is an older model but features Analogue-In which I would
    > like to archive some old VHS tapes
    >
    > The TRV245 is a current model but doesn't feature DV or Analogue-In
    >
    > So basically, can anyone tell me is the picture/features of the more
    > current TRV 245 so much superior to the TRV230 to warrant me buying it
    > (the TRV245)
    >
    > Has anyone seen both models in action and can compare the picture
    > quality between the two? Ideally I *would like* Analogue-In as a
    > feature, but ultimately I'd prefer a budget digital camcorder with
    > better picture quality...

    You could try asking on the Camcorderinfo Digital8 messageboard:

    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4
    -, Jul 16, 2003
  4. J.B.

    Tod Guest

    (-) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (J.B.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Hopefully someone out there has either of these camcorder models and
    > > can give me an unbiased view :)
    > >
    > > I've narrowed my choice down to these two and cannot decide which to
    > > get...
    > >
    > > The TRV230 is an older model but features Analogue-In which I would
    > > like to archive some old VHS tapes
    > >
    > > The TRV245 is a current model but doesn't feature DV or Analogue-In
    > >
    > > So basically, can anyone tell me is the picture/features of the more
    > > current TRV 245 so much superior to the TRV230 to warrant me buying it
    > > (the TRV245)
    > >
    > > Has anyone seen both models in action and can compare the picture
    > > quality between the two? Ideally I *would like* Analogue-In as a
    > > feature, but ultimately I'd prefer a budget digital camcorder with
    > > better picture quality...

    I would even suggest to go back one generation and look for the TRVx20
    model,
    Where X is 3, 5, 7. They are so much nicer to look at, load the tape
    from the top, have lighted controls in the VTR mode, and on and on.

    Tod.
    Tod, Jul 17, 2003