Sony Trinitron Multiscan E230 Monitor problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SoozleBlogg, May 30, 2004.

  1. SoozleBlogg

    SoozleBlogg Guest

    I have a Sony Trinitron Multiscan E230 Monitor to go with my Sony Vaoi
    desktop. A little while ago I sent the monitor back because there was cracks
    appearing in the corners of the plastic frame around the glass screen. They
    asked me whether I had dropped it, to which I replied No. Then the guy who
    picked it up told me it was because Sony screwed the monitors too
    tight....Anyway, they fixed it etc etc. Also ever since I had the monitor I
    have had two very faint lines horizontally across the screen in two places,
    1/3rd down and 2/3rds down approx under 1px in height. Sony tell me this is
    normal and it is common place with Trinitron?? The monitor was nearly
    £300-00 when new. The delivery/pick up guy says it is not a normal
    thing....who am I to believe? Is there anyone here that can give me a techy
    response that I can give to Sony if what they are saying isnt correct
    please.
    Thank You in advance for any replies, and sorry for the long winded message!

    PS. Sent tower back as 2 cd drives were seldom ejecting and it came back
    formatted (why?) and drives still the same! Top tip...Be very careful when
    taking out Sony warranties....not worth a dry w***!
    SoozleBlogg, May 30, 2004

  2. SoozleBlogg

    ICee Guest

    SoozleBlogg wrote:
    > I have a Sony Trinitron Multiscan E230 Monitor to go with my Sony
    > Vaoi desktop. A little while ago I sent the monitor back because
    > there was cracks appearing in the corners of the plastic frame around
    > the glass screen. They asked me whether I had dropped it, to which I
    > replied No. Then the guy who picked it up told me it was because Sony
    > screwed the monitors too tight....Anyway, they fixed it etc etc. Also
    > ever since I had the monitor I have had two very faint lines
    > horizontally across the screen in two places, 1/3rd down and 2/3rds
    > down approx under 1px in height. Sony tell me this is normal and it
    > is common place with Trinitron?? The monitor was nearly £300-00 when
    > new. The delivery/pick up guy says it is not a normal thing....who am
    > I to believe? Is there anyone here that can give me a techy response
    > that I can give to Sony if what they are saying isnt correct please.
    > Thank You in advance for any replies, and sorry for the long winded
    > message!

    You are seeing a shadow of the horizontal support wires for the aperture
    grill inside the CRT. This is common with Trinitron CRT's, and why I do
    not like them.
    ICee, May 30, 2004

  3. SoozleBlogg

    ICee Guest

    ICee wrote:
    > SoozleBlogg wrote:
    >> I have a Sony Trinitron Multiscan E230 Monitor to go with my Sony
    >> Vaoi desktop. A little while ago I sent the monitor back because
    >> there was cracks appearing in the corners of the plastic frame around
    >> the glass screen. They asked me whether I had dropped it, to which I
    >> replied No. Then the guy who picked it up told me it was because Sony
    >> screwed the monitors too tight....Anyway, they fixed it etc etc. Also
    >> ever since I had the monitor I have had two very faint lines
    >> horizontally across the screen in two places, 1/3rd down and 2/3rds
    >> down approx under 1px in height. Sony tell me this is normal and it
    >> is common place with Trinitron?? The monitor was nearly £300-00 when
    >> new. The delivery/pick up guy says it is not a normal thing....who am
    >> I to believe? Is there anyone here that can give me a techy response
    >> that I can give to Sony if what they are saying isnt correct please.
    >> Thank You in advance for any replies, and sorry for the long winded
    >> message!

    > You are seeing a shadow of the horizontal support wires for the
    > aperture grill inside the CRT. This is common with Trinitron CRT's,
    > and why I do not like them.

    This is a better explanation:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question406.htm
    ICee, May 30, 2004
  4. SoozleBlogg

    Unknown Guest

    Now that you brought up this situation I can find them on my Trinitron. The
    lines are so faint however, I really have to hunt for them.

    Unknown, May 30, 2004
  5. SoozleBlogg

    SoozleBlogg Guest

    Thanks for your replies. 1st and last time I buy a Trinitron. They should
    tell you in the shop that you will have aggravating lines going across your
    screen. Should have bought a cheap skinny monitor like I was going to with
    wavy "heat lines" instead!

    SoozleBlogg, May 30, 2004
  6. SoozleBlogg

    ICee Guest

    SoozleBlogg wrote:
    > Thanks for your replies. 1st and last time I buy a Trinitron. They
    > should tell you in the shop that you will have aggravating lines
    > going across your screen. Should have bought a cheap skinny monitor
    > like I was going to with wavy "heat lines" instead!

    You're welcome.

    ICee, May 31, 2004
  7. Unknown wrote:

    > Now that you brought up this situation I can find them on my
    > Trinitron. The lines are so faint however, I really have to hunt for
    > them.

    Those are the physical shadows of two very tiny wires that are part of
    holding the aperature mask correctly in place. It's a Sony Thing.

    I only notice mine (19" Trinitron) when someone brings them up, like
    this. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, May 31, 2004
  8. SoozleBlogg

    Graham Guest

    On 31 May 2004 04:45:25 GMT, Blinky the Shark,
    <news:> expounded this
    theory:

    > I only notice mine (19" Trinitron) when someone brings them up, like
    > this. :)

    I'd forgotten they were there until it was mentioned. ;)

    --
    Graham
    40tude Dialog
    Graham, May 31, 2004
  9. SoozleBlogg

    Sano Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:47:28 +0100, Graham wrote:

    > On 31 May 2004 04:45:25 GMT, Blinky the Shark,
    > <news:> expounded this
    > theory:
    >
    >> I only notice mine (19" Trinitron) when someone brings them up, like
    >> this. :)

    > I'd forgotten they were there until it was mentioned. ;)

    Yeah, heck, I've got a 17" that took a dump last year. While waiting to
    send them the proof of owership, they cross-shipped the replacement. No
    problem at all. Excellent monitor, my first flat screen.
    Sano, Jun 1, 2004