Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stephen Hammond, Jan 5, 2008.

  1. Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to announce that a voice over
    internet protocol (VoIP) feature is coming to its leading gaming console the
    PSP.

    Users of the console will be able to talk to online peers over the web using
    free internet communication programme Skype, enhancing the capabilities of
    the PSP.

    The news was broken on the Consumer Electronic Show news section on Sony's
    website, which lists Skype as one of the latest version of the game
    console's top features.

    Last year Sony announced that it would be partnering with BT to provide the
    PSP Go! Messenger service as of January this year.

    It is currently unclear how these plans relate to Sony's latest
    announcement, with industry experts speculating that as the two applications
    offer similar features the services could be combined.

    Potential benefits of the PSP's new VoIP capabilities for gamers include the
    ability to talk to opponents while playing and swap hints and tips with
    other users online.

    In late 2007 Skype expanded its service further by entering into a
    partnership with mobile phone provider 3.

    As part of the deal users of 3's Skype phone were given access to unlimited
    free VoIP calls to other Skype users worldwide.

    --

    Lift share day 14th June www.liftshare.org

    Stephen Hammond, Jan 5, 2008

  2. Stephen Hammond

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Stephen Hammond wrote:
    > Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to announce that a voice over
    > internet protocol (VoIP) feature is coming to its leading gaming console the
    > PSP.
    >
    > Users of the console will be able to talk to online peers over the web using
    > free internet communication programme Skype, enhancing the capabilities of
    > the PSP.
    >
    > The news was broken on the Consumer Electronic Show news section on Sony's
    > website, which lists Skype as one of the latest version of the game
    > console's top features.
    >
    > Last year Sony announced that it would be partnering with BT to provide the
    > PSP Go! Messenger service as of January this year.
    >
    > It is currently unclear how these plans relate to Sony's latest
    > announcement, with industry experts speculating that as the two applications
    > offer similar features the services could be combined.
    >
    > Potential benefits of the PSP's new VoIP capabilities for gamers include the
    > ability to talk to opponents while playing and swap hints and tips with
    > other users online.
    >
    > In late 2007 Skype expanded its service further by entering into a
    > partnership with mobile phone provider 3.
    >
    > As part of the deal users of 3's Skype phone were given access to unlimited
    > free VoIP calls to other Skype users worldwide.

    But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to peer system
    Ian Pawson, Jan 5, 2008

  3. Stephen Hammond

    alexd Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:26:22 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:

    > Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >> Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to announce that a voice
    >> over internet protocol (VoIP) feature is coming to its leading gaming
    >> console the PSP.
    >>
    >> Users of the console will be able to talk to online peers over the web
    >> using free internet communication programme Skype, enhancing the
    >> capabilities of the PSP.

    > But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to peer system

    Skype's proprietary status does not preclude it from being VoIP.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
    alexd, Jan 5, 2008
  4. Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    : : On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:26:22 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:
    : :
    : : : Stephen Hammond wrote:
    : : : : Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to
    : : : : announce that a voice over internet protocol (VoIP)
    : : : : feature is coming to its leading gaming console the
    : : : : PSP.
    : : : :
    : : : : Users of the console will be able to talk to online
    : : : : peers over the web using free internet
    : : : : communication programme Skype, enhancing the
    : : : : capabilities of the PSP.
    : :
    : : : But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to
    : : : peer system
    : :
    : : Skype's proprietary status does not preclude it from
    : : being VoIP.

    Unfortunate but true.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 5, 2008
  5. Stephen Hammond

    Linker3000 Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Skype's proprietary status does not preclude
    > it from
    > : : being VoIP.
    >
    > Unfortunate but true.
    >
    > Ivor

    Agreed. A SIP-based app would be better, but still not much more than a
    novelty.
    Linker3000, Jan 6, 2008
  6. Stephen Hammond

    Ian Pawson Guest

    alexd wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:26:22 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:
    >
    >> Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >>> Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities Sony is set to announce that a voice
    >>> over internet protocol (VoIP) feature is coming to its leading gaming
    >>> console the PSP.
    >>>
    >>> Users of the console will be able to talk to online peers over the web
    >>> using free internet communication programme Skype, enhancing the
    >>> capabilities of the PSP.

    >> But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to peer system

    > Skype's proprietary status does not preclude it from being VoIP.

    voip is a point to point system whereas Skype is a peer to peer system
    ie you pay for them to be able to use your broadband connection all the
    time that you are on-line.
    Ian Pawson, Jan 6, 2008
  7. Stephen Hammond

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Ian Pawson wrote:
    > voip is a point to point system

    Wrong.
    Paul Cupis, Jan 6, 2008
  8. Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ian Pawson" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    : : voip is a point to point system

    Wrong.

    : :whereas Skype is a peer
    : : to peer system ie you pay for them to be able to use
    : : your broadband connection all the time that you are
    : : on-line.

    Only if you become a "super" node. If you're not running the program they
    can't use your bandwidth and they can't if you're the other side of a NAT
    router anyway.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 6, 2008
  9. Stephen Hammond

    alexd Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:30:03 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:

    > alexd wrote:
    >> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:26:22 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:

    >>> But Skype is not voip, it is a proprietary peer to peer system

    >> Skype's proprietary status does not preclude it from being VoIP.
    >>

    > voip is a point to point system

    What does that mean?

    > whereas Skype is a peer to peer system ie you pay for them to be able
    > to use your broadband connection all the time that you are on-line.

    It's still VoIP.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:51:37 up 1 day, 7:15, 2 users, load average: 0.34, 0.41, 0.45
    alexd, Jan 6, 2008
  10. Stephen Hammond

    Al Paca Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:15:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >and they can't if you're the other side of a NAT
    >router anyway.

    I'm not sure that is completely right.
    Al Paca, Jan 6, 2008
  11. Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Al Paca" <> wrote in
    message
    : : On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:15:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    : : <> wrote:
    : :
    : : : and they can't if you're the other side of a NAT
    : : : router anyway.
    : :
    : : I'm not sure that is completely right.

    Well that's what I was told, I have no first hand experience as I refuse
    to use the thing on principle.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 6, 2008
  12. In article <>,
    "Ivor Jones" <> writes:
    > "Al Paca" <> wrote in
    > message
    >: : On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:15:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >: : <> wrote:
    >: :
    >: : : and they can't if you're the other side of a NAT
    >: : : router anyway.
    >: :
    >: : I'm not sure that is completely right.
    >
    > Well that's what I was told, I have no first hand experience as I refuse
    > to use the thing on principle.

    That matches my experience. I was allocating real/routable IP
    addresses on my home network. When lots of family came to stay
    over Christmas, I noticed loads of broadband traffic going all
    over the world when no one was apparently doing anything, and
    initially thought their laptops were riddled with viruses.
    On closer investigation, it was all Skype traffic. (Don't use
    Skype myself, only RFC VoIP.) I changed my network config to
    dish out NAT'ed 192.168 addresses and the problem went away.
    I presume the windows laptops stopped being supernodes.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Jan 7, 2008
  13. Stephen Hammond

    Iain Guest

    Ian Pawson wrote:

    > voip is a point to point system whereas

    Incorrect

    > Skype is a peer to peer system

    Mostly correct

    > ie you pay for them to be able to use your broadband connection all the
    > time that you are on-line.

    Incorrect. They use it whether or not you pay.

    VOIP is Voice Over IP. Skype is not a system that I'd recommend, but it
    is VOIP.
    Iain, Jan 10, 2008
  14. Stephen Hammond

    arceelover Guest

    arceelover, Jan 10, 2008
  15. Stephen Hammond

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Iain wrote:
    > Ian Pawson wrote:
    >
    >> voip is a point to point system whereas

    > Incorrect
    >
    >> Skype is a peer to peer system

    > Mostly correct
    >
    >> ie you pay for them to be able to use your broadband connection all the
    >> time that you are on-line.

    > Incorrect. They use it whether or not you pay.
    >
    > VOIP is Voice Over IP. Skype is not a system that I'd recommend, but it
    > is VOIP.

    I meant that you are paying for your broadband service that skype use
    for free
    Ian Pawson, Jan 10, 2008
  16. Stephen Hammond

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:43:15 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:

    > Iain wrote:
    >> Ian Pawson wrote:

    >>> ie you pay for them to be able to use your broadband connection all
    >>> the time that you are on-line.

    >> Incorrect. They use it whether or not you pay.

    > I meant that you are paying for your broadband service that skype use
    > for free

    You say that as if you're not doing exactly the same thing to other
    people's internet connections when /you/ use Skype. Swings and
    roundabouts, innit?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:13:27 up 5 days, 8:37, 2 users, load average: 1.51, 1.55, 1.54
    alexd, Jan 10, 2008