Sony tired of losing millions of $'s on camera production?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 4, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Amateur Photographer:

    Sony is set to outsource some of its imaging sensor production to
    Fujitsu in a move designed to cut costs, according to an unconfirmed
    report in a Japanese newspaper.

    The article, published in Kyodo News and subsequently reported by the
    Reuters news agency, claims that Fujitsu will make CMOS sensors for
    Sony cameras to help reduce production costs in the face of stiff
    competition.

    However, the finishing work of the sensors will be carried by Sony,
    sources are quoted as saying.

    'Sony chose Fujitsu because it did not want to share its state-of-the-
    art technology with foreign competitors,' states the article.

    Sony and Fujitsu's UK offices were not immediately available to
    comment on the report at the time of writing.

    Fujitsu claims to be the world's third largest IT services provider.

    RichA, Oct 4, 2010

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Amateur Photographer:
    >
    >Sony is set to outsource some of its imaging sensor production to
    >Fujitsu in a move designed to cut costs, according to an unconfirmed
    >report in a Japanese newspaper.
    >
    >The article, published in Kyodo News and subsequently reported by the
    >Reuters news agency, claims that Fujitsu will make CMOS sensors for
    >Sony cameras to help reduce production costs in the face of stiff
    >competition.
    >
    >However, the finishing work of the sensors will be carried by Sony,
    >sources are quoted as saying.
    >
    >'Sony chose Fujitsu because it did not want to share its state-of-the-
    >art technology with foreign competitors,' states the article.
    >
    >Sony and Fujitsu's UK offices were not immediately available to
    >comment on the report at the time of writing.
    >
    >Fujitsu claims to be the world's third largest IT services provider.

    Amazing news!

    It was widely thought that Sony used to make a lot of money on making
    and selling sensors and a reasonable amount of profit on making and
    selling point and shoot cameras, but lost very large amounts of money
    on the Alpha DSLRs.

    Bruce, Oct 5, 2010

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 4, 7:07 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >Amateur Photographer:

    > >Sony is set to outsource some of its imaging sensor production to
    > >Fujitsu in a move designed to cut costs, according to an unconfirmed
    > >report in a Japanese newspaper.

    > >The article, published in Kyodo News and subsequently reported by the
    > >Reuters news agency, claims that Fujitsu will make CMOS sensors for
    > >Sony cameras to help reduce production costs in the face of stiff
    > >competition.

    > >However, the finishing work of the sensors will be carried by Sony,
    > >sources are quoted as saying.

    > >'Sony chose Fujitsu because it did not want to share its state-of-the-
    > >art technology with foreign competitors,' states the article.

    > >Sony and Fujitsu's UK offices were not immediately available to
    > >comment on the report at the time of writing.

    > >Fujitsu claims to be the world's third largest IT services provider.

    > Amazing news!
    >
    > It was widely thought that Sony used to make a lot of money on making
    > and selling sensors and a reasonable amount of profit on making and
    > selling point and shoot cameras, but lost very large amounts of money
    > on the Alpha DSLRs.

    They wouldn't be the first company that cost itself more than the
    competition. I remember in the late 1980's, Toshiba was charging
    itself over $100 a meg for ram when it was about 1/2 that from other
    sources.

    RichA, Oct 5, 2010
  4. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    RichA wrote:

    > Amateur Photographer:
    >
    > Sony is set to outsource some of its imaging sensor production to
    > Fujitsu in a move designed to cut costs, according to an unconfirmed
    > report in a Japanese newspaper.
    >
    > The article, published in Kyodo News and subsequently reported by the
    > Reuters news agency, claims that Fujitsu will make CMOS sensors for
    > Sony cameras to help reduce production costs in the face of stiff
    > competition.
    >
    > However, the finishing work of the sensors will be carried by Sony,
    > sources are quoted as saying.
    >
    > 'Sony chose Fujitsu because it did not want to share its state-of-the-
    > art technology with foreign competitors,' states the article.
    >
    > Sony and Fujitsu's UK offices were not immediately available to
    > comment on the report at the time of writing.
    >
    > Fujitsu claims to be the world's third largest IT services provider.

    One additional point: "Fujitsu" and "Fuji" are completely separate
    entities.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>