    optical, as well as digital, is somewhat limited in range. Opinions pls.
    Thanks !
    Ben
    BeTu, Jan 23, 2006

  2. BeTu

    gpsman Guest

    BeTu wrote:
    > I purchased a Sony W-5 digital compact camera. I love it ! Sony offers
    > accessories for this model, i.e. filters and lenses. I am interested in
    > buying a 2.6X Super Telephoto Conversion Lens, which attaches to the camera
    > with an additional adapter. I would like to shoot birds in my backyard, as
    > well as on the trails, and wonder if they provide good quality photos. Does
    > anyone have experience with this type of lens ? (the build in zoom lens,
    > optical, as well as digital, is somewhat limited in range. Opinions pls.

    -----
    I would never buy an auxillary lens for digital knowing I would never
    be happy with the results. They're not very good quality.

    OTOH, if you're just taking snapshots they'll probably come out fine
    for you.
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jan 23, 2006

  3. BeTu

    irwell Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:24:01 -0500, "BeTu" <>
    wrote:

    >I purchased a Sony W-5 digital compact camera. I love it ! Sony offers
    >accessories for this model, i.e. filters and lenses. I am interested in
    >buying a 2.6X Super Telephoto Conversion Lens, which attaches to the camera
    >with an additional adapter. I would like to shoot birds in my backyard, as
    >well as on the trails, and wonder if they provide good quality photos. Does
    >anyone have experience with this type of lens ? (the build in zoom lens,
    >optical, as well as digital, is somewhat limited in range. Opinions pls.
    >Thanks !
    >Ben

    Take as look at this page, it is for the Panasonic FZ series, but you
    can get some idea of the high quality offered.
    http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/
    irwell, Jan 23, 2006
  4. BeTu

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:24:01 -0500, BeTu wrote:

    > I purchased a Sony W-5 digital compact camera. I love it ! Sony offers
    > accessories for this model, i.e. filters and lenses. I am interested in
    > buying a 2.6X Super Telephoto Conversion Lens, which attaches to the
    > camera with an additional adapter.

    Most of the tele-adapters from camera manufacturers I've seen are
    about 1.5X. From some reading I did earlier this year I got the
    impression that these are higher quality (in terms of resolving
    power) than the 1.7X and 2.X versions.

    > I would like to shoot birds in my backyard, as well as on the trails,
    > and wonder if they provide good quality photos. Does anyone have
    > experience with this type of lens ? (the build in zoom lens,
    > optical, as well as digital, is somewhat limited in range.

    No significant experience, but you may have problems with a 2.6X
    adapter since it'll probably significantly reduce the W5's
    available apertures. There's a good chance that this might make it
    more difficult for the W5 to autofocus, and the combination of
    longer focal length and smaller apertures might mean that you'd need
    to use a tripod. No problem for backyard shooting, but do you want
    to carry one on the trails? Is the "2.6X Super Telephoto Conversion
    Lens" made by Sony? If so it's probably of decent quality. If not,
    you might want to make sure you can return it if it doesn't meet
    your expectations.
    ASAAR, Jan 23, 2006
  5. BeTu

    BeTu Guest

    Thanks for the input guys ! In reply to ASAAR : yes, the conversion lens is
    a Sony, and supposedly of high quality. I'll see if they allow me to try it,
    before I buy it.....Thanks again. Ben

    BeTu, Jan 25, 2006
  6. On 23 Jan 2006 11:55:23 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "gpsman"
    <> wrote:

    >I would never buy an auxillary lens for digital knowing I would never
    >be happy with the results. They're not very good quality.
    >
    >OTOH, if you're just taking snapshots they'll probably come out fine
    >for you.

    General simplifications like this tend to generally be incorrect. There are
    a number of P&S converter lenses made by the camera manufacturers
    themselves than are quite good. Those by Nikon and Olympus come immediately
    to mind. My experience with the converters for the Nikon Coolpix 9xx/4500
    was quite positive. These are quality lenses and even the 3x teleconverter
    didn't change the max lens aperture.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 25, 2006