Sony T1 or Canon S500?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ryan, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hi,

    I hope someone can help me by providing their opinions.

    I was a user of Canon digital cameras for years and loved them. I had
    an S40, an S45 and an S50 but found those camera just were a bit bulky
    for lugging around on vacation. I would wear them in a holster on my
    belt while traveling and it often felt like a brick was strapped to
    me. I loved the photo quality, bit decided to look for something
    smaller with at least 5mp.

    I had friends rave about the Sony T1 so I did some research and
    ordered one to replace my S50 which I later sold. I used the T1 on my
    last vacation and was very happy with it's size and LCD screen... I
    barely knew I was carrying it!

    But, that said, I am not thrilled with two things:

    1. I am finding it impossible to find the Memory Stick Pro Duo cards
    for the Sony T1 and when I do find them, they are priced MUCH HIGHER
    than I would pay for CompactFlash, SmartMedia, etc. cards of the same
    size. That really bugs me.

    2. I can't say I am thrilled with the image quality. While the startup
    is faster than my S50 was, I just don't feel the T1's photos are as
    crisp as my Canon's were and the colors are also a touch washed out.
    In the end, I am left feelings I have lost some image quality even
    though the T1 claims to be 5mp just like the Canon.

    Since I bought the T1, Canon has now come out with the S500 5mp
    Digital Elph. I am very tempted to switch back to Canon and get a
    S500. I have yet to hold a S500 to see how it compares in size to the
    T1, but I have had much better luck with Canon.

    I also am used to having a 1GB CompactFlash card with me and it will
    cost a small fortune to purchase 1GB in Memory Stick Duo cards!

    Has anyone compared the T1 to the S500? Any opinions? I hate to
    switch cameras again after just a few months, but I took some more
    photos with the T1 last night and I am again not thrilled with the
    results.

    Thanks!
    Ryan, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    I almost thought my post didn't appear as I have never not received a response.

    Does ANYONE have suggestions?
    Ryan, Jun 11, 2004

  3. "Ryan" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    I'm sure that many people compared them prior to purchase. I never
    considered the Sony simply due to the memory card issue. The reason the
    S300,400,410,500 has been so popular is because it's the smallest, CF using
    camera that's decent.

    I doubt if you'll notice a difference in picture quality. Neither is going
    to be up to the level of the S50. Not worth switching. Just buy some more
    memory sticks and forget about it.
    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 12, 2004
  4. (Ryan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I hope someone can help me by providing their opinions.
    >
    > I was a user of Canon digital cameras for years and loved them. I had
    > an S40, an S45 and an S50 but found those camera just were a bit bulky
    > for lugging around on vacation. I would wear them in a holster on my
    > belt while traveling and it often felt like a brick was strapped to
    > me. I loved the photo quality, bit decided to look for something
    > smaller with at least 5mp.
    >
    > I had friends rave about the Sony T1 so I did some research and
    > ordered one to replace my S50 which I later sold. I used the T1 on my
    > last vacation and was very happy with it's size and LCD screen... I
    > barely knew I was carrying it!
    >
    > But, that said, I am not thrilled with two things:
    >
    > 1. I am finding it impossible to find the Memory Stick Pro Duo cards
    > for the Sony T1 and when I do find them, they are priced MUCH HIGHER
    > than I would pay for CompactFlash, SmartMedia, etc. cards of the same
    > size. That really bugs me.
    >
    > 2. I can't say I am thrilled with the image quality. While the startup
    > is faster than my S50 was, I just don't feel the T1's photos are as
    > crisp as my Canon's were and the colors are also a touch washed out.
    > In the end, I am left feelings I have lost some image quality even
    > though the T1 claims to be 5mp just like the Canon.
    >
    > Since I bought the T1, Canon has now come out with the S500 5mp
    > Digital Elph. I am very tempted to switch back to Canon and get a
    > S500. I have yet to hold a S500 to see how it compares in size to the
    > T1, but I have had much better luck with Canon.
    >
    > I also am used to having a 1GB CompactFlash card with me and it will
    > cost a small fortune to purchase 1GB in Memory Stick Duo cards!
    >
    > Has anyone compared the T1 to the S500? Any opinions? I hate to
    > switch cameras again after just a few months, but I took some more
    > photos with the T1 last night and I am again not thrilled with the
    > results.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Hi Ryan. You should really stay away from those cheap, ultracompact
    digital cameras. Optical quality is always sacrificed for size in
    these models, and they are honestly, well, girly.

    For about $2000, you can buy a really nice Sigma SD10 DSLR with an
    external flash and a high-end zoom lens. The photo quality you will
    get will be unbeatable by any other current production digital camera.
    The Sigma Pro DSLR cameras are built like tanks, and they are a real
    "man's camera".

    Hope this helps.

    -Orville
    Orville Wright, Jun 12, 2004
  5. [GP] Sony T1 or Canon S500?

    Orville Wright wrote:

    Troll bait.

    Please ignore.
    John McWilliams, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    While I appreciate your viewpoint in the $2000 camera, I MUST have a
    small camera that I can carry in a belt case and not feel as I am
    hiking, biking, etc.

    I also also not a professional, so I don't need a very expensive
    high-end camera. But I do need one that allows me to make nice
    enlargements of the shots I take. I have always had wonderful luck
    with the Canon S40 and S50.

    So, I really need an ultra-compact camera and the T1 and S500 seem to
    meet MY needs.

    Out of those two, which would you purchase?
    Ryan, Jun 13, 2004
  7. (Ryan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > While I appreciate your viewpoint in the $2000 camera, I MUST have a
    > small camera that I can carry in a belt case and not feel as I am
    > hiking, biking, etc.
    >
    > I also also not a professional, so I don't need a very expensive
    > high-end camera. But I do need one that allows me to make nice
    > enlargements of the shots I take. I have always had wonderful luck
    > with the Canon S40 and S50.
    >
    > So, I really need an ultra-compact camera and the T1 and S500 seem to
    > meet MY needs.
    >
    > Out of those two, which would you purchase?

    Neither. The Sony T1's images are outright fucking disgusting. The
    Canon's are not too much better? The lesser of 2 evils would be the
    Canon, but you might want to wait for the new Polaroid subcompact to
    hits the stores in a few weeks. This camera contains the highly
    superior Foveon sensor. It is still a small camera, but the image
    quality should be significantly better than the two shit models you
    are foolishly interested in now.

    Hope this helps.

    -Orville
    Orville Wright, Jun 13, 2004
  8. Ryan

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Orville Wright)
    stated that:

    > (Ryan) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> While I appreciate your viewpoint in the $2000 camera, I MUST have a
    >> small camera that I can carry in a belt case and not feel as I am
    >> hiking, biking, etc.
    >>
    >> I also also not a professional, so I don't need a very expensive
    >> high-end camera. But I do need one that allows me to make nice
    >> enlargements of the shots I take. I have always had wonderful luck
    >> with the Canon S40 and S50.
    >>
    >> So, I really need an ultra-compact camera and the T1 and S500 seem to
    >> meet MY needs.
    >>
    >> Out of those two, which would you purchase?

    >Neither. The So[*SLAP!*]

    Please ignore our troll, Ryan. He's deliberately giving bad advice to
    new posters in this newsgroup.

    Lionel, Jun 13, 2004
  9. Ryan

    Bill Guest

    I own a T-1. The most attractive part of it is the size and large LCD
    screen, and that is about it. The indoor image quality is totally
    unacceptable. It is due to excessive red-eye and very very weak flash. The
    flash can only reeach about 5 feet. Beyond that, everything looks reddish
    and very very noisy. The worst part is no tripod mount. So taking pictures
    of night scenes is not possible. It is a nice SECOND camera for daytime
    shooting only.

    I am buying a A80. I wish I hadn't bought T-1 in the first place.

    "Ryan" <>
    ???????:...

    Bill, Jun 13, 2004
  10. Ryan

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <JeZyc.22882$2i5.17994@attbi_s52>,
    "Bill" <> wrote:

    > The worst part is no tripod mount. So taking pictures
    > of night scenes is not possible.

    I also have a T1 and easily do available light and night shots.

    i simply place the camera against a building, post, wall, table, etc. to
    steady it for low light exposures.

    The biggest problem is not the lack of a tripod socket it is the lack of
    a viewfinder, other then the LCD, so you can't pull your elbows into
    your body to steady the camera but instead have to use it with arms
    somewhat extended. This makes it difficult to handhold in low light
    without bracing it against something as stated above.

    A tripod socket would not serve much of a useful purpose for me with the
    T1 as I bought it to have something I can carry with me at all times
    instead of my 828. I would not want to carry an light, small,
    inconspicuous camera as well as a tripod. And we are the distributor of
    the World's smallest tripod - the Giotto's Q-Pod. And even that would
    still need a table, wall, building, post,, etc. to use.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Jun 13, 2004
  11. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    "Please ignore our troll, Ryan. He's deliberately giving bad advice to
    new posters in this newsgroup."

    THANK YOU!

    I truly appreciate the valuable information I get from groups like
    this and try to contribute back when I know the answer to a question.
    HOWEVER, I can't stand people who respond just to be nasty, use foul
    language for no good reason and call they have never even met names!

    I am learning toward the S50, but will do more research. As I said, I
    am unhappy with the image quality of the T1 and the cost of Memory
    Stick Duo's.. so I'll keep looking.
    Ryan, Jun 14, 2004
  12. Ryan

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Ryan) stated that:

    >"Please ignore our troll, Ryan. He's deliberately giving bad advice to
    >new posters in this newsgroup."
    >
    >THANK YOU!

    My pleasure, Ryan.

    >I truly appreciate the valuable information I get from groups like
    >this and try to contribute back when I know the answer to a question.
    >HOWEVER, I can't stand people who respond just to be nasty, use foul
    >language for no good reason and call they have never even met names!

    Unfortunately, every busy newsgroup seems to attract a few people for
    whom getting attention is far more important than normal participation.
    Every group has its village idiot, & for better or worse, The Preddiot
    is ours.

    >I am learning toward the S50, but will do more research. As I said, I
    >am unhappy with the image quality of the T1 and the cost of Memory
    >Stick Duo's.. so I'll keep looking.

    My take on this is that the Canon Powershots are nice little digicams.
    If you can't afford, or don't need the complexity of, an SLR, then the
    Powershots are a pretty good choice. Good quality, great value for
    money. I dislike the Sony Memory Sticks for their pricing & poor range
    of sizes. I know nothing about the T1, so I can't comment on the camera
    itself.

    Lionel, Jun 15, 2004