Sony Stung By Blu-Ray Drives for PS3

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Latest News Blu-Ray drives for the Playstation 3 will cost Sony a
    small fortune. It turns out that at the release of the console in the
    first half of 2006, Sony will have to pay more than $100 (£54) per
    drive it builds in Playstation 3.

    This is a lot of money, because even in retail you can buy a DVD +RW
    drive for less than $50 now. This means that Microsoft can get it much
    cheaper than $50 (£27), maybe even half that price, due to the
    enormous quantity it needs to buy for millions of XboX 360 consoles.

    Blu Ray marchitecture looks great as its backward compatible with DVDs
    and CDs, and you can store 25GB per layer on the Blu Ray media. This
    will provide you with an amazing 50GB for two layer drives at some
    point in the future.

    Nevertheless, it's a very expensive step that Sony is willing to take
    as it will increase cost of Playstation 3 unit dramatically. Sony said
    Playstation 3 is going the be expensive and this is one of the reasons
    why.

    Microsoft is playing a safe game here, it will launch with DVD+RW but
    in some point in the future might release a new Xbox 360 version with
    HD-DVD or a Blu Ray drive. We don’t expect that this will happen
    anytime soon, but we are sure it will happen at some point in the next
    few years.

    At least Sony will push the mass availability of Blu Ray drives and
    medias as it plans to ship hundredes of thousands of consoles in 2006.

    http://webplus.dvd-recordable.org/Article2179.phtml

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Allan

    Baked Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:45:03 -0400, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >Nevertheless, it's a very expensive step that Sony is willing to take
    >as it will increase cost of Playstation 3 unit dramatically.

    Bullshit. They knew it would be that expensive from the start.

    Baked, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Baked" <> wrote in message
    >>Nevertheless, it's a very expensive step that Sony is willing to take
    >>as it will increase cost of Playstation 3 unit dramatically.

    > Bullshit. They knew it would be that expensive from the start.

    Yes, but no one wants to believe it. People still think this thing is
    going to retail for $399. If it sells for less than double that, I'm
    going to be pretty shocked.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 7, 2005