    problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
    September 2005 "

    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html
    Greg House, Aug 3, 2007

  2. Greg House

    Guest

    On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
    < wrote:
    > Yes the DSC-T5
    >
    > "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in the United States, Europe and China,
    > about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said. Sony Corp. first learned of the
    > problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
    > September 2005 "
    >
    > http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

    I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware of
    their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board with
    their electronics products. The worse part is that they usually
    charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.
    , Aug 3, 2007

  3. Greg House

    John B Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
    > < wrote:
    >> Yes the DSC-T5
    >>
    >> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in
    >> the United States, Europe and China,
    >> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said.
    >> Sony Corp. first learned of the
    >> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the
    >> model first went on the market in
    >> September 2005 "
    >>
    >> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

    > I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware
    > of
    > their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board
    > with
    > their electronics products. The worse part is that they
    > usually
    > charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

    Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.

    I use heaps of their products (cameras, video cams etc) and
    software, like Vegas, and have had no problems.
    John B, Aug 3, 2007
  4. Greg House

    Matty F Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > Yes the DSC-T5

    > http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

    So there may be a sharp edge on the bottom of the camera that may cut
    people.
    Thta's easily fixed. It's not as if the camera stopped working.
    My older Sony digital is working fine. I chose it from 334 cameras.
    Matty F, Aug 3, 2007
  5. Greg House

    Allistar Guest

    John B wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
    >> < wrote:
    >>> Yes the DSC-T5
    >>>
    >>> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in
    >>> the United States, Europe and China,
    >>> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said.
    >>> Sony Corp. first learned of the
    >>> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the
    >>> model first went on the market in
    >>> September 2005 "
    >>>
    >>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

    >> I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware
    >> of
    >> their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board
    >> with
    >> their electronics products. The worse part is that they
    >> usually
    >> charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

    > Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.
    >
    > I use heaps of their products (cameras, video cams etc) and
    > software, like Vegas, and have had no problems.

    Their DRM tactics (i.e. how they released CD's with rootkits on them) has
    shied me away from ever using any of their products again. Regardless of
    the quality of them. Any company willing to spit on customers like that
    does not deserve my custom.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 3, 2007
  6. Greg House

    Barry Lennox Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:52:26 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:

    >John B wrote:
    >

    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware
    >>> of
    >>> their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board
    >>> with
    >>> their electronics products. The worse part is that they
    >>> usually
    >>> charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

    >> Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.
    >>
    >> I use heaps of their products (cameras, video cams etc) and
    >> software, like Vegas, and have had no problems.

    >Their DRM tactics (i.e. how they released CD's with rootkits on them) has
    >shied me away from ever using any of their products again. Regardless of
    >the quality of them. Any company willing to spit on customers like that
    >does not deserve my custom.
    >
    >Allistar.

    Agreed,

    After their disgraceful behaviour over the rootkit affair, they are
    forever off my list. The rootkit was bad enough, but what was orders
    of magnitude worse was their absolutely fucking unbelievable attitude
    to complaints about it.

    Then we may want to consider the dork (Gladding) that was running Sony
    NZ, he's donkey deep with the RIANZ pushing anti-piracy campaigns and
    ever stricter copyright laws, yet has a quid each way by selling
    hardware that allows one to do it. Even their in-house magazine
    "Pulse" proudly states that you can move CD and LP content to their
    MP3 players, despite it being illegal.

    And he is forever sulking and refuses to answer emails over this.
    Barry Lennox, Aug 3, 2007
  7. Greg House

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:38:28 -0700, exclaimed:

    >On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
    >< wrote:
    >> Yes the DSC-T5
    >>
    >> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in the United States, Europe and China,
    >> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said. Sony Corp. first learned of the
    >> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
    >> September 2005 "
    >>
    >> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

    >I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware of
    >their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board with
    >their electronics products. The worse part is that they usually
    >charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

    Nah, bollocks.

    Sony gear is generally top notch, especially their computers and
    lappies.

    The big problem is their support is total shit. I'd never buy another
    Sony product just because they're such fucktards to deal with. Oh, and
    the rootkit fiasco.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 3, 2007
  8. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:24:12 +1200, Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:38:28 -0700, exclaimed:
    >
    >>On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
    >>< wrote:
    >>> Yes the DSC-T5
    >>>
    >>> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in the United States, Europe and China,
    >>> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said. Sony Corp. first learned of the
    >>> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
    >>> September 2005 "
    >>>
    >>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

    >>I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware of
    >>their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board with
    >>their electronics products. The worse part is that they usually
    >>charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

    >Nah, bollocks.
    >
    >Sony gear is generally top notch, especially their computers and
    >lappies.
    >
    >The big problem is their support is total shit. I'd never buy another
    >Sony product just because they're such fucktards to deal with. Oh, and
    >the rootkit fiasco.

    And don't forget the CCD fiasco, stacks of cameras that Used Sony CCD's have problems with the glue
    that was used, it absorbed moister casing the CCD to fail..

    This affected many brands of Cameras, But no recall.
    Greg House, Aug 3, 2007
  9. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:24:12 +1200, Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:38:28 -0700, exclaimed:
    >
    >>On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
    >>< wrote:
    >>> Yes the DSC-T5
    >>>
    >>> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in the United States, Europe and China,
    >>> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said. Sony Corp. first learned of the
    >>> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
    >>> September 2005 "
    >>>
    >>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

    >>I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware of
    >>their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board with
    >>their electronics products. The worse part is that they usually
    >>charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

    >Nah, bollocks.
    >
    >Sony gear is generally top notch, especially their computers and
    >lappies.
    >
    >The big problem is their support is total shit. I'd never buy another
    >Sony product just because they're such fucktards to deal with. Oh, and
    >the rootkit fiasco.

    Plus the Sony batteries, it seems to go on and on.
    Greg House, Aug 3, 2007
  10. On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:48:52 +1200, John B wrote:

    > Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.

    Heh heh.

    Not been that way for quite some time now. Sony is very much trading on a
    reputation that it no longer deserves. :eek:(

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 3, 2007
  11. Greg House

    John B Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:48:52 +1200, John B wrote:
    >
    >> Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.

    > Heh heh.
    >
    > Not been that way for quite some time now. Sony is very much
    > trading on a
    > reputation that it no longer deserves. :eek:(

    Reputation means nothing. The proof is in the pudding. I USE
    several of Sony's products and nothing else comes close.
    John B, Aug 3, 2007
  12. Greg House

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 3, 7:18 pm, "John B" <> wrote:
    > Reputation means nothing. The proof is in the pudding. I USE
    > several of Sony's products and nothing else comes close.

    Out of interest, what brands have you compared them with?
    Chris Lim, Aug 3, 2007
  13. Greg House

    John B Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 3, 7:18 pm, "John B" <> wrote:
    >> Reputation means nothing. The proof is in the pudding. I USE
    >> several of Sony's products and nothing else comes close.

    > Out of interest, what brands have you compared them with?

    I'm really talking about software there, Chris.
    John B, Aug 3, 2007
  14. Greg House

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 00:46:40 -0700, Chris Lim <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Aug 3, 7:18 pm, "John B" <> wrote:
    >> Reputation means nothing. The proof is in the pudding. I USE
    >> several of Sony's products and nothing else comes close.

    >Out of interest, what brands have you compared them with?

    I use Sony VAIO lappies - very nice, and definately better than most
    other things on the market.

    Previous lappies have been ASUS, Acer, MSI, and Compaq. Not even
    close.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 3, 2007
  15. Greg House

    EMB Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 00:46:40 -0700, Chris Lim <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> On Aug 3, 7:18 pm, "John B" <> wrote:
    >>> Reputation means nothing. The proof is in the pudding. I USE
    >>> several of Sony's products and nothing else comes close.

    >> Out of interest, what brands have you compared them with?

    > I use Sony VAIO lappies - very nice, and definately better than most
    > other things on the market.
    >
    > Previous lappies have been ASUS, Acer, MSI, and Compaq. Not even
    > close.

    I'll agree that a Sony Vaio is well ahead of the brands you mention -
    but with the amount of grief they've given me I wouldn't own one.
    IBM/Lenovo every time for me now.
    EMB, Aug 3, 2007
  16. Greg House

    Geoff Guest

    On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 19:18:17 +1200, John B wrote:

    > "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:48:52 +1200, John B wrote:
    >>
    >>> Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.

    >> Heh heh.
    >>
    >> Not been that way for quite some time now. Sony is very much
    >> trading on a
    >> reputation that it no longer deserves. :eek:(

    > Reputation means nothing. The proof is in the pudding. I USE
    > several of Sony's products and nothing else comes close.

    So do I, and I would never buy Sony again. I have foudn them to have poor
    reliability - our Sony digicam lasted just longer than the warrenty for
    example. The LCD screen has died, and it has random freezes and cannot read
    the data cards. The no-name Vistacam one I got from the US at the same time
    is still going fine.
    The Sony digicam we have at work seems to have a wimpy case that is now
    held together with sellotape.
    For the money, anything Sony makes is availble better and cheaper from
    other brands.
    And I woudl never support a company that distributes trojans and rootkits
    anyway.
    Geoff
    Geoff, Aug 3, 2007
  17. Greg House

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:18:17 +1200, John B wrote:

    > "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:48:52 +1200, John B wrote:
    >>
    >>> Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.

    >> Heh heh.
    >>
    >> Not been that way for quite some time now. Sony is very much trading on
    >> reputation that it no longer deserves. :eek:(

    > Reputation means nothing. The proof is in the pudding. I USE several of
    > Sony's products and nothing else comes close.

    Oh dear, if you use Sony products how the heck do you know that nothing
    else comes close?
    Gordon, Aug 5, 2007
  18. Greg House

    John B Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:18:17 +1200, John B wrote:
    >
    >> "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message

    >>> Heh heh.
    >>>
    >>> Not been that way for quite some time now. Sony is very much
    >>> trading on
    >>> reputation that it no longer deserves. :eek:(

    >> Reputation means nothing. The proof is in the pudding. I USE
    >> several of
    >> Sony's products and nothing else comes close.

    > Oh dear, if you use Sony products how the heck do you know that
    > nothing
    > else comes close?

    Easy.... I have tried other brands and nothing else did things
    the way I wanted them done. Sony is a great product. It has the
    "features" I need and use on a daily basis. Does what I bought it
    to do and has never failed yet.

    Sure, they'll have the odd dud with a product, but that has not
    been my experience.

    Also, replies to my queries to their helpdesk have always been
    prompt and very helpful.

    As for the rootkit behaviours, well that's to do with cds, not
    the Sony software or cameras I use.
    John B, Aug 5, 2007
  19. Greg House

    Robert Cooze Guest

    John B wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
    >> < wrote:
    >>> Yes the DSC-T5
    >>>
    >>> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in
    >>> the United States, Europe and China,
    >>> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said.
    >>> Sony Corp. first learned of the
    >>> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the
    >>> model first went on the market in
    >>> September 2005 "
    >>>
    >>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

    >> I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware
    >> of
    >> their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board
    >> with
    >> their electronics products. The worse part is that they
    >> usually
    >> charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

    > Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.
    >
    > I use heaps of their products (cameras, video cams etc) and
    > software, like Vegas, and have had no problems.

    Of the cheep and nasty stuff they are all rubbish If you look at a VCR
    made around about 10 to 15 years ago you got things like die cast
    chassis which held things together properly. Now you get a bit of thin
    presses steel and a bit of plastic if you are lucky. Most consumer grade
    electronic items are made to the cheapest price possible and if it lasts
    one year more than the warranty it has done it's job.

    Robert Cooze, Aug 6, 2007
  20. Greg House

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John B wrote:
    > "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:48:52 +1200, John B wrote:
    > >
    > > > Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.

    > > Heh heh.
    > >
    > > Not been that way for quite some time now. Sony is very much
    > > trading on a
    > > reputation that it no longer deserves. :eek:(

    > Reputation means nothing. The proof is in the pudding. I USE
    > several of Sony's products and nothing else comes close.

    The expression is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating"

    WTF does "The proof is in the pudding" supposed to mean?
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2007