    I reckon the ps3 will be a noose round sonys neck.

    what happened to the cheap $300nzd console that played great games? Go
    sonic.
    whome, Feb 2, 2007

  2. whome

    Rob Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sony are already looking at reducing the price of the ps3 in the US.
    >
    > Currently, it is $599 usd.
    >
    > I reckon the ps3 will be a noose round sonys neck.
    >
    > what happened to the cheap $300nzd console that played great games? Go
    > sonic.

    Thats why the wii is doing so well. Well priced and fun games. The sony are
    justify the price, saying that it comes with a blueray player that are over
    $1000 if you buy them as a standalone unit. People will buy them here, but
    probably not many until the price drops to about the $500 level.What I don't
    understand is why sony haven't come up with a decent mp3 walkman. to compete
    with ipod. They have the design skills and produce nice looking products,
    but over the last few years they have really dropped the ball. They have
    also produced the psp, which is a fantastic product as it can be modified
    with third party add ons. You can even turn it into a GPS system, but I
    wonder why sony have only concentrated on games for it, and why have they
    produced their own add on products for it. Sometimes I really do wonder
    about whether sony has any brains, I certainly wouldn't buy shares in them
    atm.
    Rob, Feb 2, 2007

  3. whome

    whome Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message news:1170386192.320617@ftpsrv1...

    > "whome" <> wrote in message
    >> Sony are already looking at reducing the price of the ps3 in the US.
    >>
    >> Currently, it is $599 usd.
    >>
    >> I reckon the ps3 will be a noose round sonys neck.
    >>
    >> what happened to the cheap $300nzd console that played great games? Go
    >> sonic.
    >>

    > Thats why the wii is doing so well. Well priced and fun games. The sony
    > are justify the price, saying that it comes with a blueray player that are
    > over $1000 if you buy them as a standalone unit. People will buy them
    > here, but probably not many until the price drops to about the $500
    > level.What I don't understand is why sony haven't come up with a decent
    > mp3 walkman. to compete with ipod. They have the design skills and produce
    > nice looking products, but over the last few years they have really
    > dropped the ball. They have also produced the psp, which is a fantastic
    > product as it can be modified with third party add ons. You can even turn
    > it into a GPS system, but I wonder why sony have only concentrated on
    > games for it, and why have they produced their own add on products for it.
    > Sometimes I really do wonder about whether sony has any brains, I
    > certainly wouldn't buy shares in them atm.

    they got their head up their asses over drm.

    It's been said the music/film branches of sony have been wielding their
    power over the electronics division.
    whome, Feb 2, 2007
  4. whome wrote:
    > Sony are already looking at reducing the price of the ps3 in the US.
    >
    > Currently, it is $599 usd.
    >
    > I reckon the ps3 will be a noose round sonys neck.
    >
    > what happened to the cheap $300nzd console that played great games? Go
    > sonic.

    But the PS2 was expensive when it was released as well, over $800nzd if
    I recall correctly.
    Jason Fanning, Feb 2, 2007
  5. whome

    whome Guest

    "Jason Fanning" <> wrote in message
    > whome wrote:
    >> Sony are already looking at reducing the price of the ps3 in the US.
    >>
    >> Currently, it is $599 usd.
    >>
    >> I reckon the ps3 will be a noose round sonys neck.
    >>
    >> what happened to the cheap $300nzd console that played great games? Go
    >> sonic.

    > But the PS2 was expensive when it was released as well, over $800nzd if I
    > recall correctly.

    Still some $400 less than the ps3.
    whome, Feb 2, 2007
  6. On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 08:55:36 +1300, "whome" <> wrote:

    >"Jason Fanning" <> wrote in message
    >> whome wrote:
    >>> Sony are already looking at reducing the price of the ps3 in the US.
    >>>
    >>> Currently, it is $599 usd.
    >>>
    >>> I reckon the ps3 will be a noose round sonys neck.
    >>>
    >>> what happened to the cheap $300nzd console that played great games? Go
    >>> sonic.

    >> But the PS2 was expensive when it was released as well, over $800nzd if I
    >> recall correctly.

    >Still some $400 less than the ps3.

    Nah the PS2 was originally over $1000 ($1200 or $1299 I think) but did
    come with a game.

    I remember that because a friend was working at Retravision at the
    time and they were expecting some $1000 PS2's but due to supply
    problems they only got 3 of the $1200 sets.
    Jason Clinton, Feb 2, 2007
  7. On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 08:55:36 +1300, "whome" <> wrote:

    >"Jason Fanning" <> wrote in message
    >> whome wrote:
    >>> Sony are already looking at reducing the price of the ps3 in the US.
    >>>
    >>> Currently, it is $599 usd.
    >>>
    >>> I reckon the ps3 will be a noose round sonys neck.
    >>>
    >>> what happened to the cheap $300nzd console that played great games? Go
    >>> sonic.

    >> But the PS2 was expensive when it was released as well, over $800nzd if I
    >> recall correctly.

    >Still some $400 less than the ps3.

    Just did some checking - the PS2 was AUD$750 when it launched in 2001
    and with a NZD/AUD exchange rate back then of 0.80c that works out at
    NZD$938. No doubt Sony would have rounded that up to the magic $999 or
    something (maybe even $1099)
    Jason Clinton, Feb 2, 2007
  8. whome

    whome Guest

    "Jason Clinton" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 08:55:36 +1300, "whome" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Jason Fanning" <> wrote in message

    >>> But the PS2 was expensive when it was released as well, over $800nzd if
    >>> recall correctly.

    >>Still some $400 less than the ps3.

    > Just did some checking - the PS2 was AUD$750 when it launched in 2001
    > and with a NZD/AUD exchange rate back then of 0.80c that works out at
    > NZD$938. No doubt Sony would have rounded that up to the magic $999 or
    > something (maybe even $1099)

    so is the ps3 cheap then?
    whome, Feb 3, 2007
  9. whome

    bambam Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in

    >> Just did some checking - the PS2 was AUD$750 when it launched in 2001
    >> and with a NZD/AUD exchange rate back then of 0.80c that works out at
    >> NZD$938. No doubt Sony would have rounded that up to the magic $999 or
    >> something (maybe even $1099)

    > so is the ps3 cheap then?

    It will be in 18 months.
    Early adoptors always pay a large premium.
    bambam, Feb 3, 2007
  10. whome

    whome Guest

    "bambam" <> wrote in message
    > "whome" <> wrote in
    >
    >>> Just did some checking - the PS2 was AUD$750 when it launched in 2001
    >>> and with a NZD/AUD exchange rate back then of 0.80c that works out at
    >>> NZD$938. No doubt Sony would have rounded that up to the magic $999 or
    >>> something (maybe even $1099)

    >> so is the ps3 cheap then?

    > It will be in 18 months.
    > Early adoptors always pay a large premium.\

    I don't recall any debate about the price of the PS2. I was in London at the
    time, and it was selling about 250 squid when it first came out.
    whome, Feb 4, 2007
  11. In article <b2acb$45c2ecd1$59645ca7$>, Jason Fanning <> wrote:
    >whome wrote:
    >> Sony are already looking at reducing the price of the ps3 in the US.
    >>
    >> Currently, it is $599 usd.
    >>
    >> I reckon the ps3 will be a noose round sonys neck.
    >>
    >> what happened to the cheap $300nzd console that played great games? Go
    >> sonic.

    >But the PS2 was expensive when it was released as well, over $800nzd if
    >I recall correctly.

    Remember also that the sony is entrant number 3 to the current market. Makes
    the marketing and sales rather more difficult than if you lead the pack :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 8, 2007