Sony PS2 Outsells MS Xbox 5 to 1

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    steve, Jun 5, 2004

  2. steve

    The Flash Guest

    Don't put too much faith in either Sony or MS both are more than happy to
    puff up and spout about how many units out their.

    I have seen a figure of 40 million PS/2's and 14 million Xbox's some time
    ago how accurate it is who know.

    Not 5 times as many as Sony claimed. Both Xbox and PS/2 sales are down on
    expectations, however a number of reports that I have see (last one on BBC)
    is that Both sony and MS are in dreamland with their forecasts. Game
    consoles sales are slowing. Its a market that has had its glory days (Sony
    Playstations had months when they sold a Million units each month)

    What Sony hates to admit is the buyer switchovers. People who have a PS and
    then buy a XBOX.

    New buyers who have never had a console tend to buy XBOX's,
    People who have had a PS mostly buy PS2's.
    Less than ~1% of XBOX owners change to a PS2
    A significant number of PS2 owners have swiched to XBOX.

    Sony has the most but they don't have the loyal owners that they hoped for.

    Neither company is doing very well.

    The Flash, Jun 5, 2004

  3. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "The Flash" <> wrote in message
    > Don't put too much faith in either Sony or MS both are more than happy to
    > puff up and spout about how many units out their.
    >
    > I have seen a figure of 40 million PS/2's and 14 million Xbox's some time
    > ago how accurate it is who know.
    >
    > Not 5 times as many as Sony claimed. Both Xbox and PS/2 sales are down on
    > expectations, however a number of reports that I have see (last one on

    BBC)
    > is that Both sony and MS are in dreamland with their forecasts. Game
    > consoles sales are slowing. Its a market that has had its glory days (Sony
    > Playstations had months when they sold a Million units each month)
    >
    > What Sony hates to admit is the buyer switchovers. People who have a PS

    and
    > then buy a XBOX.
    >
    > New buyers who have never had a console tend to buy XBOX's,
    > People who have had a PS mostly buy PS2's.
    > Less than ~1% of XBOX owners change to a PS2
    > A significant number of PS2 owners have swiched to XBOX.
    >
    > Sony has the most but they don't have the loyal owners that they hoped

    for.

    > Neither company is doing very well.

    SONY has done well with it's first PS, and supported it for many years now.
    PS2 was out well before the XBox, yet it's hardly been much of a
    disadvantage. The XBox will always be a better collectors item if it still
    works in the years to come. MS has been worried about it's sales for quite
    a while. No one can claim that SONY isn't doing well as a company. What's
    the other long list of products that MS are involved in again?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 5, 2004
  4. In article <>, "The Flash" <>
    wrote:

    >Don't put too much faith in either Sony or MS both are more than happy to
    >puff up and spout about how many units out [there].

    Nevertheless, it's clear that the PlayStation is way ahead with an
    unbeatable lead.

    In past times it's been said that Microsoft can afford to keep throwing
    money at a particular market segment until they come up with a product
    that sells. That may work so long as they can actually get some income
    back on each unit they sell. The trouble with the game console market is
    that they're actually making a loss on each unit that sells. Thus, the
    more units they ship, the more money they lose--they have to make it
    back on the actual games, which is where the profit lies.

    But the only way they can get developers to develop games for the
    platform is to offer them an attractively large installed base into
    which to sell those games. Thus, establishing that installed base to
    start with is a very expensive proposition--quite possibly, more
    expensive than Microsoft can afford.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 5, 2004
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    The Flash wrote:

    > New buyers who have never had a console tend to buy XBOX's,
    > People who have had a PS mostly buy PS2's.
    > Less than ~1% of XBOX owners change to a PS2
    > A significant number of PS2 owners have swiched to XBOX.
    >
    > Sony has the most but they don't have the loyal owners that they hoped for.
    >
    > Neither company is doing very well.

    Any sources to back up anything you said? Not doubting you - but I am
    curious.

    Also...They are so cheap, many people must just own and use both of them.

    Final Fantasy on PS2 and Halo on Xbox?

    steve, Jun 5, 2004
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > SONY has done well with it's first PS, and supported it for many years now.
    > PS2 was out well before the XBox, yet it's hardly been much of a
    > disadvantage. The XBox will always be a better collectors item if it still
    > works in the years to come. MS has been worried about it's sales for quite
    > a while. No one can claim that SONY isn't doing well as a company. What's
    > the other long list of products that MS are involved in again?
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
    software for the new one on the old Xbox.......

    Much like PS2 to PS one....but it does beg the questions of "absolutes".

    As in: Will the new Xbox be different enough from a PC gaming system to
    justify buying both? Will it cost too much being at a higher spec?

    Or will it bury PS2 because it will be dirt cheap and far more capable?

    Time will tell, I guess.

    steve, Jun 5, 2004
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > But the only way they can get developers to develop games for the
    > platform is to offer them an attractively large installed base into
    > which to sell those games. Thus, establishing that installed base to
    > start with is a very expensive proposition--quite possibly, more
    > expensive than Microsoft can afford.

    With US$60 billion cash in the bank.....what they can afford will be a
    matter of choice....not lack of money.

    steve, Jun 5, 2004
  8. On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 21:14:32 +1200, "The Flash" <> wrote:

    >Don't put too much faith in either Sony or MS both are more than happy to
    >puff up and spout about how many units out their.
    >
    >I have seen a figure of 40 million PS/2's and 14 million Xbox's some time
    >ago how accurate it is who know.
    >
    >Not 5 times as many as Sony claimed. Both Xbox and PS/2 sales are down on
    >expectations, however a number of reports that I have see (last one on BBC)
    >is that Both sony and MS are in dreamland with their forecasts. Game
    >consoles sales are slowing. Its a market that has had its glory days (Sony
    >Playstations had months when they sold a Million units each month)
    >
    >What Sony hates to admit is the buyer switchovers. People who have a PS and
    >then buy a XBOX.
    >
    >New buyers who have never had a console tend to buy XBOX's,
    >People who have had a PS mostly buy PS2's.
    >Less than ~1% of XBOX owners change to a PS2
    >A significant number of PS2 owners have swiched to XBOX.
    >
    >Sony has the most but they don't have the loyal owners that they hoped for.
    >
    >Neither company is doing very well.
    >

    >"steve" <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
    >> This story about about Microsoft cancelling a multiplayer online game also
    >> includes a sales comparison I have never seen before:
    >>
    >> http://enterprise-windows-it.newsfa...t-Pulls-Plug-on--True-Fantasy-&story_id=24423
    >>
    >> Or http://tinyurl.com/3gq8m

    >> "Microsoft's Xbox lags far behind it competitor Sony Playstation 2, which
    >> outsells Xbox by a ration of five to one, according to published reports."

    Probably still a year or more away for NZ, but Sony's PSP is reckoned
    to be The Next Big Thing. Late this year in Japan.

    Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce, Jun 5, 2004
  9. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    > > SONY has done well with it's first PS, and supported it for many years

    now.
    > > PS2 was out well before the XBox, yet it's hardly been much of a
    > > disadvantage. The XBox will always be a better collectors item if it

    still
    > > works in the years to come. MS has been worried about it's sales for

    quite
    > > a while. No one can claim that SONY isn't doing well as a company.

    What's
    > > the other long list of products that MS are involved in again?
    > >
    > > E. Scrooge

    > There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
    > software for the new one on the old Xbox.......
    >
    > Much like PS2 to PS one....but it does beg the questions of "absolutes".
    >
    > As in: Will the new Xbox be different enough from a PC gaming system to
    > justify buying both? Will it cost too much being at a higher spec?
    >
    > Or will it bury PS2 because it will be dirt cheap and far more capable?
    >
    > Time will tell, I guess.

    It hardly helps MS's image to have a completely new XBox already, it hasn't
    even been out that long. Be great news for the first owners to see that MS
    didn't think it had enough goods to last longer than that. Meanwhile the
    PS3 is reported to be a lot different from the PS2. It's release will
    probably depend on when the PS2 sales start to slow down quite a bit. The
    Karaoke setup for the PS2 will be proving to be popular. Be better for MS
    to see what the PS3 is like and how well it does in the market for with what
    it offers.
    People will enjoy either one that they own, and that's all that really
    matters.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 5, 2004
  10. steve

    David Preece Guest

    steve wrote:
    > There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
    > software for the new one on the old Xbox.......

    Yes you will. The new XBox has (apparently) a 2GHz G5 which is easily
    enough to run Virtual PC with the same performance as the 733MHz Celeron
    in the existing XBox. All that remains is for Microsoft to buy
    Connectix, which they have.

    > As in: Will the new Xbox be different enough from a PC gaming system to
    > justify buying both? Will it cost too much being at a higher spec?

    Depends what you want, but probably not. PC gaming is dead.

    > Or will it bury PS2 because it will be dirt cheap and far more capable?

    It will compete against PS3, not PS2. It may bury it because Microsoft
    are willing and able to lose billions of dollars just to knock Sony out
    of the market.

    > Time will tell, I guess.

    If you'd asked me three months ago I would have said that XBox2 would
    win the next round. Since then I've seen some more stuff on how the cell
    processor works, the news that you'll be able to buy a cell based
    workstation from IBM and apparently they've even produced a few. So, now
    I'm not so sure....

    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 5, 2004
  11. steve <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message news:<>...
    > This story about about Microsoft cancelling a multiplayer online game
    > also includes a sales comparison I have never seen before:
    >
    > http://enterprise-windows-it.newsfa...t-Pulls-Plug-on--True-Fantasy-&story_id=24423
    >
    > Or http://tinyurl.com/3gq8m

    > "Microsoft's Xbox lags far behind it competitor Sony Playstation 2,
    > which outsells Xbox by a ration of five to one, according to published
    > reports."

    5:1
    In Japan only?
    or worldwide?

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 5, 2004
  12. "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
    > > software for the new one on the old Xbox.......
    > >
    > > Much like PS2 to PS one....but it does beg the questions of "absolutes".
    > >
    > > As in: Will the new Xbox be different enough from a PC gaming system to
    > > justify buying both? Will it cost too much being at a higher spec?
    > >
    > > Or will it bury PS2 because it will be dirt cheap and far more capable?
    > >
    > > Time will tell, I guess.

    > It hardly helps MS's image to have a completely new XBox already, it hasn't
    > even been out that long. Be great news for the first owners to see that MS

    <snip>

    There isn't a new Xbox coming out already. Steve said "new Xbox
    coming out shortly"

    "shortly" meaning sometime in the next 1-2 years. Xbox Version Next
    has not been announced by Microsoft.

    Speculation about whether it will play PC games, whether Xbox v.next
    will play Xbox titles and vice versa and launch dates, is just that -
    speculation.

    I think its safe to assume its at least a year away

    Xbox only costs $299, and I've certainly had that worth of fun and
    value out of mine

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 5, 2004
  13. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "David Preece" <> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:
    > > There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
    > > software for the new one on the old Xbox.......

    > Yes you will. The new XBox has (apparently) a 2GHz G5 which is easily
    > enough to run Virtual PC with the same performance as the 733MHz Celeron
    > in the existing XBox. All that remains is for Microsoft to buy
    > Connectix, which they have.
    >
    > > As in: Will the new Xbox be different enough from a PC gaming system to
    > > justify buying both? Will it cost too much being at a higher spec?

    > Depends what you want, but probably not. PC gaming is dead.
    >
    > Dave

    LOL
    You should try comparing the high resolution that the PC game runs at along
    with the frame rate.
    The XBox is hardly full of grunt. If it was it would cost at least $1,000.
    The XBox is only a very low grade PC by today's standards.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 6, 2004
  14. steve

    samg Guest

    David Preece <> wrote in news:fUqwc.1012
    $:

    > Depends what you want, but probably not. PC gaming is dead.

    heh not unless the xbox2 comes with a mouse and keyboard

    samg, Jun 6, 2004
  15. In article <40c1a16a$>,
    steve <steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> But the only way they can get developers to develop games for the
    >> platform is to offer them an attractively large installed base into
    >> which to sell those games. Thus, establishing that installed base to
    >> start with is a very expensive proposition--quite possibly, more
    >> expensive than Microsoft can afford.

    >With US$60 billion cash in the bank.....what they can afford will be a
    >matter of choice....not lack of money.

    Ohhh, it will be a matter of money all right. Especially if the
    shareholders get wind of the idea the Microsoft is simply throwing money
    away that could be paid to them as dividends...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2004
  16. In article <fUqwc.1012$>,
    David Preece <> wrote:

    >steve wrote:
    >> There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
    >> software for the new one on the old Xbox.......

    >Yes you will. The new XBox has (apparently) a 2GHz G5 which is easily
    >enough to run Virtual PC with the same performance as the 733MHz Celeron
    >in the existing XBox. All that remains is for Microsoft to buy
    >Connectix, which they have.

    But you also have to remember Microsoft's reasons for using a PowerPC
    processor instead of an Intel one in the next-generation XBox--it's not
    about performance, it's primarily to make the platform a less attractive
    one for hackers to turn into a cheap, general-purpose PC.

    This purpose would be defeated if it still could run VirtualPC.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2004
  17. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> There is a new Xbox coming out shortly. You won't be able to run the
    >> software for the new one on the old Xbox.......

    > Yes you will. The new XBox has (apparently) a 2GHz G5 which is easily
    > enough to run Virtual PC with the same performance as the 733MHz
    > Celeron in the existing XBox. All that remains is for Microsoft to buy
    > Connectix, which they have.
    >
    >> As in: Will the new Xbox be different enough from a PC gaming system
    >> to justify buying both? Will it cost too much being at a higher spec?

    > Depends what you want, but probably not. PC gaming is dead.

    Tell that to my nephew who is making a nice living thank-you-very-much in
    Victoria running LAN parties in various locales.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jun 6, 2004
  18. steve

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:53:58 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > "shortly" meaning sometime in the next 1-2 years.

    "Shortly" means sometime in the short term - a maximum of 1-2 months. 1-2
    years down the track is not "short term" - it is medium to long term.

    This is especially so given Micro$oft's desire to obsolite software that
    is only 7 years old.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    Divine, Jun 6, 2004
  19. steve

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Divine" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:53:58 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    > > "shortly" meaning sometime in the next 1-2 years.

    > "Shortly" means sometime in the short term - a maximum of 1-2 months. 1-2
    > years down the track is not "short term" - it is medium to long term.
    >
    > This is especially so given Micro$oft's desire to obsolite software that
    > is only 7 years old.
    >

    > Divine

    1 to 2 years is usually considered a short sentence for murder. It doesn't
    seem that long ago when it was the turn of century. For a cat or a dog, 1
    to 2 years is long time of their short lives.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 6, 2004
  20. steve

    steve Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > I think its safe to assume its at least a year away

    I had the impresion it was closer than that....but it was only an
    impression.

    > Xbox only costs $299, and I've certainly had that worth of fun and
    > value out of mine

    ...and fair enough.

    If I was into consoles, both the PS2 and Xbox are cheap enough I would
    buy one of each.

    steve, Jun 6, 2004