    Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: replacing invalid with sonic.
    Otto Pylot, Apr 18, 2004

  2. >Are they exactly the same? I want to buy a DVD player with a component
    >480p output to match my tv. Sony has these two but the DVD-only player
    >has the Precision Cinema Progressive Output (480p) listed but the combo
    >player lists the component output as progressive 480p only. Are they
    >one and the same? Thanks.

    Precision Cinema would probably refer to the name of Sony's 3:2 reverse
    pull-down process for DVDs of filmed movies for progressive output on the
    component (Y, Pb, Pr) connections.

    3:2 reverse pull-down is necessary to properly assemble 3:2 pulled down 30 FPS
    interlaced video for progressive scanning. 3:2 pulldown is a processs that
    essentially makes a 24 FPS film fit into 30 FPS interlaced video without
    problems. This process has to be undone if you are scanning it progressively,
    otherwise you'll get picture artifacts.

    For DVDs from sources originally 30 FPS, reverse 3:2 pulldown is unnecessary.

    Be advised, pretty much all decent DVD players will have a reverse 3:2
    pull-down process equipped with the option to manually select what process to
    use or automatically detect what process to use. You also have the option to
    employ an external solution to handle the progressive processing or even allow
    the TV to handle it (provided that the TV's integrated
    interlaced-to-progressive scanning conversion is decent).

    As for the "combo player," if you are referring to a VCR/DVD combo, stay far
    away from those pieces of junk, regardless to who made them. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 18, 2004