Sony Player .oma files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NOTTNICK, Sep 10, 2007.

  1. NOTTNICK

    NOTTNICK Guest

    My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
    All his music on pc was originally mp3.
    Transferred over just fine.
    He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
    from player rather than pc.
    This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
    He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
    install the latest software download in his player.
    As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
    (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
    He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
    transfer any original files back to the player.
    New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format

    So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files
    so he can transfer them?
    It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
    to take them back to mp3.

    Hope this makes some sort of sense.

    Nick

    NOTTNICK, Sep 10, 2007

  2. NOTTNICK

    meerkat Guest

    "NOTTNICK" <> wrote in message
    > My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
    > All his music on pc was originally mp3.
    > Transferred over just fine.
    > He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
    > from player rather than pc.
    > This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
    > He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
    > install the latest software download in his player.
    > As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
    > (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
    > He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
    > transfer any original files back to the player.
    > New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
    >
    > So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files so
    > he can transfer them?
    > It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
    > to take them back to mp3.

    Can Sonicstage do that ? (sony software).
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Sonicstage&meta=

    D/load Versions at bottom of page.

    meerkat, Sep 10, 2007

  3. NOTTNICK

    TJ Guest

    NOTTNICK <> wrote in

    > My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
    > All his music on pc was originally mp3.
    > Transferred over just fine.
    > He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files
    > across from player rather than pc.
    > This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
    > He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
    > install the latest software download in his player.
    > As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
    > (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
    > He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let
    > him transfer any original files back to the player.
    > New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
    >
    > So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files
    > so he can transfer them?
    > It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter
    > program to take them back to mp3.
    >
    > Hope this makes some sort of sense.

    Not that this will help but SONY sucks.

    My kid got a Sony mini-DV camcorder from her Aunt for Christmas last
    year. Cool, right? Nice gift. I thought so.

    Only problem was, it didn't come with any software to get whatever
    footage she recorded onto her PC so she could edit it.

    No problem plugging the camcorder into a TV and using at as a VCR for
    playback. Just no way to get her recordings onto a PC for
    editing/sharing.

    So I did a little digging. Seems she needs a SONY program called "Movie
    Shaker" in order to deal with the format the camcorder records in.

    (XP "recognizes" the cam, but Windows Movie Maker can't import from it.)

    What's worse ... SONY not only does NOT supply the "Movie Shaker"
    software with *some* of their camcorders, BUT ... They also do NOT make
    it available for download from their website for free, or otherwise.

    So basically, my kid's stuck with a Christmas gift she can't use to it's
    full potential. THANKS to Sony, she has to keep "borrowing" my Canon.
    :)

    No more SONY products for this family.

    TJ, Sep 10, 2007
  4. NOTTNICK

    NOTTNICK Guest

    meerkat wrote:
    > "NOTTNICK" <> wrote in message
    >> My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
    >> All his music on pc was originally mp3.
    >> Transferred over just fine.
    >> He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
    >> from player rather than pc.
    >> This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
    >> He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
    >> install the latest software download in his player.
    >> As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
    >> (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
    >> He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
    >> transfer any original files back to the player.
    >> New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
    >>
    >> So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files so
    >> he can transfer them?
    >> It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
    >> to take them back to mp3.
    >>

    > Can Sonicstage do that ? (sony software).
    > http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Sonicstage&meta=
    >
    > D/load Versions at bottom of page.

    Thanks
    Had a look - uninstalled latest Sonic and loaded earlier version
    Still get exactly the same problem.

    NOTTNICK, Sep 10, 2007
  5. NOTTNICK

    meerkat Guest

    "NOTTNICK" <> wrote in message
    > meerkat wrote:
    >> "NOTTNICK" <> wrote in message
    >>> My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
    >>> All his music on pc was originally mp3.
    >>> Transferred over just fine.
    >>> He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
    >>> from player rather than pc.
    >>> This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
    >>> He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
    >>> install the latest software download in his player.
    >>> As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
    >>> (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
    >>> He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
    >>> transfer any original files back to the player.
    >>> New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
    >>>
    >>> So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files
    >>> so he can transfer them?
    >>> It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
    >>> to take them back to mp3.
    >>>

    >> Can Sonicstage do that ? (sony software).
    >> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Sonicstage&meta=
    >>
    >> D/load Versions at bottom of page.

    > Thanks
    > Had a look - uninstalled latest Sonic and loaded earlier version
    > Still get exactly the same problem.

    Sorry it didn`t help.
    bw..

    meerkat, Sep 10, 2007
  6. NOTTNICK

    ded Guest

    "NOTTNICK" <> wrote in message
    > My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
    > All his music on pc was originally mp3.
    > Transferred over just fine.
    > He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
    > from player rather than pc.
    > This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
    > He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
    > install the latest software download in his player.
    > As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
    > (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
    > He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
    > transfer any original files back to the player.
    > New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
    >
    > So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files so
    > he can transfer them?
    > It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
    > to take them back to mp3.
    >
    > Hope this makes some sort of sense.
    >
    > Nick

    atrac/.oma is Sony's propriatary compression format.
    I think you'll find that once converted to that format, your son's Sony
    inflicted DRM desease on the files. They are now copy protected.
    Have a read of this:
    http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7532

    ded, Sep 10, 2007
  7. NOTTNICK

    NOTTNICK Guest

    ded wrote:
    > "NOTTNICK" <> wrote in message
    >> My son has a Sony Walkman.NW-A3000
    >> All his music on pc was originally mp3.
    >> Transferred over just fine.
    >> He now has laptop - due to problems with pc he moved music files across
    >> from player rather than pc.
    >> This means all his files on laptop are now in .oma format.
    >> He went to load some more music to his player recently and was told to
    >> install the latest software download in his player.
    >> As part of the process he was told to delete all music on his player
    >> (10gb)and re-transfer afterwards.
    >> He did this and now Sonic Stage gives an error message and won't let him
    >> transfer any original files back to the player.
    >> New files from CD will transfer just fine. They are in Atrac format
    >>
    >> So... does anyone know how to get sonic stage to recognise these files so
    >> he can transfer them?
    >> It seems a bit harsh for him to have to fork out for a converter program
    >> to take them back to mp3.
    >>
    >> Hope this makes some sort of sense.
    >>
    >> Nick

    > atrac/.oma is Sony's propriatary compression format.
    > I think you'll find that once converted to that format, your son's Sony
    > inflicted DRM desease on the files. They are now copy protected.
    > Have a read of this:
    > http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7532

    Decided to spend a few quid on a converter.
    Now realise (of course) that all the tags have gone.
    Have 4gb of unnamed audio tracks!

    However, in moving files etc. I have found thet in my efficiency, I had
    backed up most of the mp3s on my spare drive.
    All is not lost.

    NOTTNICK, Sep 11, 2007
  8. In article <>,
    TJ <> wrote:

    > Not that this will help but SONY sucks.
    >
    > My kid got a Sony mini-DV camcorder from her Aunt for Christmas last
    > year. Cool, right? Nice gift. I thought so.
    >
    > Only problem was, it didn't come with any software to get whatever
    > footage she recorded onto her PC so she could edit it.
    >
    > No problem plugging the camcorder into a TV and using at as a VCR for
    > playback. Just no way to get her recordings onto a PC for
    > editing/sharing.
    >
    > So I did a little digging. Seems she needs a SONY program called "Movie
    > Shaker" in order to deal with the format the camcorder records in.
    >
    > (XP "recognizes" the cam, but Windows Movie Maker can't import from it.)
    >
    > What's worse ... SONY not only does NOT supply the "Movie Shaker"
    > software with *some* of their camcorders, BUT ... They also do NOT make
    > it available for download from their website for free, or otherwise.
    >
    > So basically, my kid's stuck with a Christmas gift she can't use to it's
    > full potential. THANKS to Sony, she has to keep "borrowing" my Canon.
    > :)
    >
    > No more SONY products for this family.

    That's weird, it should be just normal .DV format. Are you using USB or
    Firewire?
    Not that I am supporting Sony's consumer product line, of course ;)

    David Matthew Wood, Sep 12, 2007