SONY Optiarc CD/DVD RW AD-7240S Again

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Bob AZ, Apr 3, 2010.

  1. Bob  AZ

    Bob AZ Guest

    My previous post about these drives yielded some action and further
    thought.

    Apparently Microsoft Windows XP64 does not accomodate CD and DVD
    drives in a multiple installation. Sony simply depends on the drivers
    in Windows XP64. There is/was a firmware upgrade that installed with
    no abberations and did nothing to accomodate me.

    I was able to use Nero and do all that I wanted to do with the drives,
    but Nero gets into my computer and leaves its residue everywhere. This
    does however verify the operation and integrity of the dual Sony
    drives installed. It also indicates that Microsoft Windows has a
    shortcoming that after many years of Windows and in particular XP,
    that XP should have reasonanbly been sophisticated enough to hand
    multiple optical drives. Also XP64 did not seem to handle DVD burning
    even on just one drive.

    I would like to find a program that will run the drives as needed and
    the rest of the time sit there in the background.

    Any suggestions or input gratefully accepted.

    Bob AZ
    Bob AZ, Apr 3, 2010

  2. No version of XP did DVD write - that feature wasn't added until Vista. And
    remember that XP x64 is even more limited, since it's really Server 2003
    under the hood.

    You can install a minimal version of Nero that _just_ does CD/DVD write.
    Just run the regular installer and deselect everything that doesn't actually
    have anything to do with writing to the drive. Works fine and solves the
    bloatware issues. I doubt you'll find anything better.

    There are other minimalist tools out there. Whether they will let you drive
    two disks at once? I don't know. The program I used until Windows 7 was
    "IsoRecorder" -- a freeware utility. But I don't think it supports DVD in
    XP, only CD, since it uses the Windows native drivers.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 3, 2010

  3. Bob  AZ

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    It is ISOrecorder v2 (http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm) the one
    that supports XP x64.
    Infrarecorder (http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5) is a freeware burning
    program, x64 native, compatible with XP x64.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 3, 2010
  4. Bob  AZ

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Two additional comments.
    1.- Nero 9 lite is free and XP x64 friendly
    (http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero9-free.php)
    2.- I use freeware Starburn
    (http://www.rocketdivision.com/download_starburn.html) which is also XP x64
    compatible.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 3, 2010
  5. Yes, v2 is the only one that supports XP x64, and thus no burning of DVDs.

    Don't use Infrarecorder. When I still ran XP x64, I used Nero, but stripped
    all the excess baggage out of it. Basically NeroLite, but starting from the
    full product.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 3, 2010
  6. Haven't seen any need to buy or use much of anything except built in for a
    while. I use Virtual CD for mounting ISOs, and AnyDVD and CloneDVD for tasks
    that require sophistication. VCD is freeware (and highly recommended) and
    AnyDVD and CloneDVD are not free, but reasonably priced. I dont' run XP x64
    any more - I'm fully moved to Windows 7.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 3, 2010
  7. Bob  AZ

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Yeah, I've also moved fully to Win 7.
    What are you using AnyDVD for? It is rather pricey, at least for us, poor
    south americans.
    Depending on your needs, freeware handbrake (www.handbrake.com) might just
    do it.
    DVDFab guys have also a fully functional (60-day) free DVDFab decrypter.
    http://www.dvdfab.com/en/free.htm
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 3, 2010
  8. Bought it quite a while ago, and got a reasonable price for it. Lifetime
    upgrades/updates for free, so hardly an issue there. Used primarily to
    convert some PAL DVDs with the wrong country configuration to NTSC and North
    American so we could use them. CloneDVD is now used primarily to copy movie
    and television series DVDs while removing the various FBI warnings and
    commercials.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 4, 2010