Sony offers Compact Flash -- HELL JUST FROZE OVER!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Todd Walker, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    Todd Walker, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Todd Walker

    Ian Burley Guest

    And mechanical zoom ring and RAW mode...

    http://dp-now.com/archives/000241.html

    Ian

    --
    Digital Photography Now
    UK-based digital photo Web magazine

    Ian Burley, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Todd Walker

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Todd Walker writes:

    > Wow. I am STUNNED I tell you. The new Sony F828 has Compact Flash. The
    > Sony brass have brains after all.

    Money talks.

    Mxsmanic, Aug 15, 2003
  4. "Ian Burley" <> wrote:

    > And mechanical zoom ring and RAW mode...

    Yes, but with those tiny pixels, what's the noise going to be like? ISO 400
    on the F707, pretty much the least noisy consumer ISO 400, is pretty
    gross...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Aug 15, 2003
  5. "Todd Walker" <> wrote in message
    > Wow. I am STUNNED I tell you. The new Sony F828 has Compact Flash. The
    > Sony brass have brains after all.

    The Sony bashers mush all be sh*tting their pants.

    I wonder if Sony will sell the 8MP sensor to other mfrs? Given what a nice
    job Oly did with the 5050, Sony may not be interested in competing with
    themselves for the 8MP consumer market.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Aug 15, 2003
  6. On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:11:45 GMT, Todd Walker <>
    wrote:

    >Wow. I am STUNNED I tell you. The new Sony F828 has Compact Flash. The
    >Sony brass have brains after all. And 8 megapixels too. Wow. This thing
    >should be impressive.
    >
    >--
    >________________________________
    >Todd Walker
    >http://twalker.d2g.com
    >Canon 10D:
    >http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
    >My Digital Photography Weblog:
    >http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
    >_________________________________

    I checked out the preview at letsgodigital and this camera really
    looks awesome. I wonder how good the evf will be?

    Bill Mcdonald in Joshua Tree.
    Olympus E-10, Olympus IS-3 DLX.
    ICQ#138329143.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/morongobill
    Bill Mcdonald, Aug 15, 2003
  7. On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:19:38 +0100, "Ian Burley"
    <> wrote:

    >And mechanical zoom ring and RAW mode...
    >
    >http://dp-now.com/archives/000241.html
    >
    >Ian
    >
    >--
    >Digital Photography Now
    >UK-based digital photo Web magazine
    >http://www.dp-now.com
    >> _________________________________

    Ian can you pull some strings and get your hands on this?

    I for one am very interested in this camera and look forward to your
    preview or review!

    Thanks very much!
    Bill Mcdonald, Aug 15, 2003
  8. Todd Walker

    Ian Burley Guest

    In my news editorial I asked the same question.

    Indeed, I think the F828 is a big gamble - it is trying to do so much that
    has never been achieved before - that pixel density, the RGBE CCD filter and
    that humungous lens... it *has* to be good or Sony could have egg on its
    face big time.

    Ian

    Ian Burley, Aug 15, 2003
  9. Todd Walker

    Ian Burley Guest

    If you remember, Minolta, with the Dimage 7, had the Sony 5MP 2/3rd inch
    sensor before Sony did (F707). But the Dimage A1 is out and it's still
    5MP...

    I'm sure Sony will sell it to others eventually but it looks like Sony's
    camera division won the argument to run with it first.

    Ian

    Ian Burley, Aug 15, 2003
  10. Todd Walker

    Ian Burley Guest

    Alas, I'm not an A-list journo in the UK for cameras. Printers, maybe, but
    not cameras.... yet!

    I know one of the major magazines I freelance for here had to make do with a
    briefing about the 828 yesterday - without even a single camera to play
    with!

    Ian

    Ian Burley, Aug 15, 2003
  11. > Indeed, I think the F828 is a big gamble - it is trying to do so much
    that
    > has never been achieved before - that pixel density, the RGBE CCD filter

    and
    > that humungous lens... it *has* to be good or Sony could have egg on its
    > face big time.

    I might have been interested and then I saw the weight! About twice the
    weight of my Nikon 5700. If I held those two cameras in the shop there's
    no doubting which would win - to me digital means moving away from all the
    heavy, cumbersome gear of the past.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 15, 2003
  12. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    Todd Walker, Aug 15, 2003
  13. Todd Walker

    B. Peg Guest

    Omigosh. There is a God!

    memory stick....uck, choke, puke...!

    'bout time they killed it - sans beta tape.

    Bent~
    B. Peg, Aug 15, 2003
  14. Todd Walker

    Abrasha Guest

    "B. Peg" wrote:

    > Omigosh. There is a God!
    >
    > memory stick....uck, choke, puke...!
    >
    > 'bout time they killed it - sans beta tape.
    >
    > Bent~

    They didn't kill it. This new camera takes both CF and Memory Stick.
    --
    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Aug 15, 2003
  15. Todd Walker

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Todd Walker wrote:

    > Wow. I am STUNNED I tell you. The new Sony F828 has Compact Flash. The
    > Sony brass have brains after all. And 8 megapixels too. Wow. This thing
    > should be impressive.

    Yes.. With 8mp and a fast 28-200mm focal length lens, it looks like they've
    really upped the ante. Very impressive.

    I guess with 8 Megapixels and a RAW format, Sony realized they needed a *lot*
    more storage than the highest capacity memory stick could provide. Now they
    can take advantage of the relativley cheap 1Gig CF cards to save people from
    having to take a basket of memory sticks with them on a major shoot.

    I see the sensor is only 2/3", which works out to 8.8mm by 6.6mm.. That's only
    a bit bigger than the popular 5 megapixel 1/1.8 sensor which works out to
    being 7.1mm by 5.3mm. It looks like they just extended a 1/1.8 sensor to gain
    the extra 2 Megapixels.

    I don't know if this is that good an idea.. The small sensors are more prone
    to noise at higher ISO settings. The DSLR's (Canon 10D and Nikon D100 for
    example), produce stunning shots at 400-800 ISO. They have much larger
    sensors. (23mm by 15.5mm). These 6 megapixel sensors are physically 3 times
    larger than the Sony 8 Megapixel sensor.

    Nevertheless.. Now that the 5 megapixel 'wall' has been breeched, I can see a
    new crop of 8 to 10 Mp cameras based on the 2/3 sensor being introduced by the
    other makers.
    Jim Townsend, Aug 15, 2003
  16. Todd Walker

    JackD Guest

    > > 'bout time they killed it - sans beta tape.
    > >
    > > Bent~

    > They didn't kill it. This new camera takes both CF and Memory Stick.
    > --
    > Abrasha

    Backward compatibility. They wouldn't want to completely screw their
    customers who have already invested in memory sticks.
    Let us see what the market decides now on what memory is best for the 828.
    I'm guessing that most will see a CF card in their future.

    -Jack
    JackD, Aug 15, 2003
  17. In article <>, Abrasha
    <> wrote:

    > "B. Peg" wrote:
    > >
    > > Omigosh. There is a God!
    > >
    > > memory stick....uck, choke, puke...!
    > >
    > > 'bout time they killed it - sans beta tape.
    > >
    > > Bent~

    > They didn't kill it. This new camera takes both CF and Memory Stick.

    And writes are faster with the Memory Stick PRO than with CF, according
    to Phil Askey. Still prototype hardware, but the 828 will exercise the
    MS PRO's parallel IO capability and expose the true speed of this
    media.

    Godfrey
    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Aug 15, 2003
  18. I generally like to have enough media to make about 100 exposures when
    I start a photo session. A single 1G Memory Stick PRO card will carry
    something on the order of 400 full resolution JPEG Fine images or 50
    RAW images. Two cards for 100 RAW images is hardly a "basket full".

    I'll put up with the CF cards slower speed, maybe, for the reduction in
    cost. ;-)

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Aug 15, 2003
  19. Todd Walker

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

    > I generally like to have enough media to make about 100 exposures when
    > I start a photo session. A single 1G Memory Stick PRO card will carry
    > something on the order of 400 full resolution JPEG Fine images or 50
    > RAW images. Two cards for 100 RAW images is hardly a "basket full".

    Yes.. But what resolution is your camera ?

    Don't forget the new Sony is an *8* megapixel camera.. Instead of 50 images
    per stick, you might be getting 30-40.. That's oly 60-80 images for 2 memory
    sticks. I'd rather pay ~$250 per Gig rather than ~$500.00

    Jim Townsend, Aug 15, 2003
  20. Todd Walker

    JK Guest

    It uses a proprietary battery, and the camera might be somewhat expensive?
    If it had used AA nimh batteries instead, and came out at a "street" price of
    $600, then I would be very impressed.

    JK, Aug 15, 2003