Sony MP3 problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nocantype, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. Nocantype

    Nocantype Guest

    I'll try to be concise.
    The CD that came with the NWZ-S616F ("the 610 series") loaded in Media
    Manager for Walkman 1.1. AND Windows Media 11. So I ended up with 2
    libraries. The Sony guy (in the Philippines) today told me I
    shouldn't have both. Well, their CD put it on there!
    Not the biggest problem.
    In Media Manager, I cannot get the connection to the Walkman. I've
    tried unhooking all my USB connections, reconnecting, shutting down
    the computer, opening back up, etc. Could be that my voice
    recognition, which I cannot unplug from its USB connection, overrides
    it? Although, I managed to get some music on the Walkman only a
    couple days ago, with voice recognition on.
    In Windows Media, it will not sync my music with my Walkman. The
    error message is something like "cannot change sync at this time". I
    can't "shuffle" either.
    Also, not as major a problem, the CD burner I use, not state-of-the-
    art, takes like five minutes to even recognize there's a CD in there,
    and only Media Manager validates it. Windows Media rarely did.
    No, it's not a problem with rights protection (the Sony guy also asked
    me). I have Windows XP (with SP 2). My RAM is somewhere around 775,
    in case that matters.
    I'm ready to return this.

    Thank you for any help or suggestions.

    K.
    (I now have music loaded in both libraries (which I painstakingly have
    to use my feet with my GlidePoint, since I use voice recognition), and
    can't copy it into my MP3.)
    Nocantype, Jan 9, 2008

  2. Nocantype

    Brian Guest

    I'm not quite sure I understand the problem. It sounds as if you have an MP3
    player and can not get it to sync with either WMP or the sony program.

    What I would suggest is you un-do everything you or the sony cd has done.
    Uninstall anything they installed. Go in to the device manager and uninstall
    the mp3 player as well. Basically put your computer back to like before you
    had the player. Then reboot and when in windows, plug the player in to a
    different USB port if you have one and let it re-detect it again. If windows
    can't find drivers, you can give it the sony cd to only install drivers (or
    download the drivers alone from sony's site).

    Sounds like you want to use WMP to sync your songs, so ditch any sony
    software. You might also want to try installing the latest WMP if you don't
    have it already.

    I bought a new Sandisk mp3 player on black friday and had one hell of a time
    getting windows to recognize it. I searched for hours before finding a
    solution... I had to download and reinstall MPT (
    Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit) from microsoft. It seems that the
    codecs/media players I had installed messed up my MTP, and once re-installed
    things worked beautifully. You can d/l MTP here if you wish to try:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...60-E862-4F19-BB26-C0CAFE798955&displaylang=en

    good luck, and don't fret. if you lose your mind and it still doesnt work,
    try returning it and picking up a different kind of mp3 player :)

    Brian, Jan 9, 2008

  3. Nocantype

    Brian Guest

    As a followup to my previous reply, this is a link to the discussion that
    resolved my issue:

    http://xxmycreativexx.blogspot.com/...stall-this-hardware.html#c2005372635656724630

    Try the link given in that post before my MTP file. You can find the link in
    the initial post there, under

    "Solution: Installing the
    umdf file from Microsoft enabled me to re-install the MTP device."

    Give that a shot and see if you can't get fixed up!

    Aloha

    Brian, Jan 9, 2008
  4. Nocantype

    ded Guest

    "Nocantype" <> wrote in message
    > I'll try to be concise.
    > The CD that came with the NWZ-S616F ("the 610 series") loaded in Media
    > Manager for Walkman 1.1. AND Windows Media 11. So I ended up with 2
    > libraries. The Sony guy (in the Philippines) today told me I
    > shouldn't have both. Well, their CD put it on there!

    Then that maybe the problem, a possible conflict?
    Uninstall the software, on reinstall select the appropriate options.

    > Not the biggest problem.
    > In Media Manager, I cannot get the connection to the Walkman. I've
    > tried unhooking all my USB connections, reconnecting, shutting down
    > the computer, opening back up, etc. Could be that my voice
    > recognition, which I cannot unplug from its USB connection, overrides
    > it?

    "overrides" doubtful, conflict possible?

    > Although, I managed to get some music on the Walkman only a
    > couple days ago, with voice recognition on.
    > In Windows Media, it will not sync my music with my Walkman. The
    > error message is something like "cannot change sync at this time". I
    > can't "shuffle" either.

    Again, that could be a conflict, or it could be incorrectly installed and/or
    configured software.
    Noting your posting nym and you use voice recognition, it maybe best
    to get someone to have a look.
    The Sony USB device, did it require drivers installed as well as the
    software? This is just an example, but with some USB devices (My
    cell phone for example) requires that connection involves allowing
    the "found new hardware wizard" to detect the actively connected
    device, and then for user to direct the wizard to the location where
    drivers are to be found, but if such devices are connected via an
    external USB hub then the drivers cause conflicts with other devices
    connected via the hub, a driver dependent USB device may need to
    have it's own dedicated USB connection on PC.
    The software installation may have an entry in control panel, but
    at least will have an "Options" menu when software is open that
    allows you to configure etc.
    With any new hardware/software it is always best to logon to the
    site and download any updates/patches etc. Sony will also have
    a usually excellent troubleshooter for it's products, logon to the Sony
    site for your location, click the support link, locate your device and
    check the troubleshooter.

    > Also, not as major a problem, the CD burner I use, not state-of-the-
    > art, takes like five minutes to even recognize there's a CD in there,
    > and only Media Manager validates it. Windows Media rarely did.
    > No, it's not a problem with rights protection (the Sony guy also asked
    > me). I have Windows XP (with SP 2). My RAM is somewhere around 775,
    > in case that matters.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "validates" a CD, but you say the drive
    takes five minutes to recognise a CD is loaded?
    Is per chance the CD burner an externally connected USB burner?
    Try to explain exactly what is happening.

    > I'm ready to return this.
    >
    > Thank you for any help or suggestions.
    >
    > K.
    > (I now have music loaded in both libraries (which I painstakingly have
    > to use my feet with my GlidePoint, since I use voice recognition), and
    > can't copy it into my MP3.)

    Again, it's not clear what you mean, you "have music loaded" in both,
    loaded from where and how, did you rip from CD are they WAV or CDDA,
    or MP3, how are you trying to copy to device - drag and drop or Sony
    software, what exactly?
    Support link, to left Drivers+Software/FAQ & Solutions/Tutorials etc
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=NWZS616F
    ded, Jan 9, 2008
  5. Nocantype

    Nocantype Guest

    Thank you Brian and ded
    (how did that spammer find this?! -- search for MP3 player maybe)

    Uninstalling and reinstalling sound like good solutions; I now can be
    much more selective.. (I hope I can save what's on those libraries to
    "My Music" so I don't lose all the work I did burning ('ripping'?)
    the CDs.)

    I do hope I can get Windows Media to work. Well, to recognize the
    CDs. That's one thing the Media Manager had over it.

    > Noting your posting nym and you use voice recognition, it maybe best
    > to get someone to have a look.

    (I wish!)
    I had a suggestion from a voice-recognition group that I put my sound
    card as default, not my headset for recording and playback.
    Personally, I didn't think this was the problem, but I can try it. If
    that rings a bell (no pun intended), let me know.

    > The Sony USB device, did it require drivers installed as well as the
    > software?

    No, nothing about installing drivers.
    I think one (web) page Sony sent was something about recognizing a
    device. Or, maybe "the" device.

    >[snip] drivers are to be found, but if such devices are connected via an
    > external USB hub ...

    is a hub in extra attachment, like a cable ? What I have are 4 USB
    slots on my Dell computer.

    > a driver dependent USB device may need to
    > have it's own dedicated USB connection on PC.

    Should I figure out how to do this?
    Was this, what you said after, how? :
    > The software installation may have an entry in control panel, but
    > at least will have an "Options" menu when software is open that
    > allows you to configure etc.

    Yes, good idea, about downloading updates, patches and checking the
    troubleshooter.
    I think the 3 web site Sony sent me which I've just skimmed probably
    at least touch on this.

    > I'm not sure what you mean by "validates" a CD, but you say the drive
    > takes five minutes to recognise a CD is loaded?

    WM wouldn't even recognize there was a disk in my CD (another USB
    external) player/burner (Yes to your question). MM took a couple
    minutes, and then would indeed rip the CD. (Then just not allow me to
    recognize the Walkman, e.g. not transfer the music over!)

    > Again, it's not clear what you mean, you "have music loaded" in both,
    > loaded from where and how, did you rip from CD are they WAV or CDDA,
    > or MP3, how are you trying to copy to device - drag and drop or Sony
    > software, what exactly?

    I managed to load some music CDs onto the Media Manager. Since
    evidently the (this is new to me) library on the Walkman and on your
    computer have to match, all my former loaded music (from the Internet,
    also MP3 files) was on the WM library. To make it more complicated,
    the very first time I succeeded in downloading music, I was able to
    rip some Russian speaking lessons from a CD, and that time Media
    Manager seemed to do it automatically. I don't remember dropping and
    dragging.

    Now that you've read all of the above, I will also say that my friend
    is trying to exchange it at Target (they're supposed to get more in).
    I'd rather start from scratch in all this! Then I can do a selective
    download from the disk, and as Brian mentioned, don't do the Media
    Manager. I do hope it's a custom installation, I hope -- because I
    don't remember -- that was an option.

    Thank you, thank you.
    Nocantype, Jan 11, 2008
  6. Nocantype

    ded Guest

    "Nocantype" <> wrote in message

    snip

    >> The Sony USB device, did it require drivers installed as well as the
    >> software?

    > No, nothing about installing drivers.
    > I think one (web) page Sony sent was something about recognizing a
    > device. Or, maybe "the" device.

    The software probably included the drivers, the simple test if it were
    installed correctly is it would be listed in windows explorer/My Computer
    as a Sony removeable device and assigned a drive letter, if not, then
    it's not correctly installed

    >>[snip] drivers are to be found, but if such devices are connected via an
    >> external USB hub ...

    > is a hub in extra attachment, like a cable ? What I have are 4 USB
    > slots on my Dell computer.

    OK, it's not an external hub, but a PCI card, again a guess due to lack
    of info, but it's probably four USB connections on one card?

    >> a driver dependent USB device may need to
    >> have it's own dedicated USB connection on PC.

    > Should I figure out how to do this?
    > Was this, what you said after, how? :
    >> The software installation may have an entry in control panel, but
    >> at least will have an "Options" menu when software is open that
    >> allows you to configure etc.

    > Yes, good idea, about downloading updates, patches and checking the
    > troubleshooter.
    > I think the 3 web site Sony sent me which I've just skimmed probably
    > at least touch on this.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what you mean by "validates" a CD, but you say the drive
    >> takes five minutes to recognise a CD is loaded?

    > WM wouldn't even recognize there was a disk in my CD (another USB
    > external) player/burner (Yes to your question). MM took a couple
    > minutes, and then would indeed rip the CD. (Then just not allow me to
    > recognize the Walkman, e.g. not transfer the music over!)

    OK, it's a USB burner and a Sony USB MP3 device connected to same
    PCI card, there is probably a conflict between devices, but more likely
    the Sony device is not correctly installed/configured.

    snip

    > I managed to load some music CDs onto the Media Manager. Since
    > evidently the (this is new to me) library on the Walkman and on your
    > computer have to match, all my former loaded music (from the Internet,
    > also MP3 files) was on the WM library. To make it more complicated,
    > the very first time I succeeded in downloading music, I was able to
    > rip some Russian speaking lessons from a CD, and that time Media
    > Manager seemed to do it automatically. I don't remember dropping and
    > dragging.

    Brians posts are not showing up on my server, but the Sony is USB and
    drag and drop would work with such a USB device if it were correctly
    installed and configured. If you could rip CD's to a hard drive folder and
    the software converted to MP3 file type, then regardless of media managers
    or library, if the files were of a compliant type that the Sony can play
    then drag and drop would work - The problem seems to be that you need
    to correctly install/configure the software/drivers for the Sony to be
    recognised correctly.
    But also there maybe a conflict between devices. So if you supply exact
    details of the Dell - the make and model, I'll try looking up the drivers
    for it and it's troubleshooter, the PCI USB card may need updating.
    If that is the case then any/all USB devices may have a conflict until it
    is updated. Supply details of your Dell comp.
    Meanwhile, goto: Start>Windows Update
    Allow the scan to complete
    Then click the "Custom" button
    This will now list optional and hardware updates to left of screen,
    Check list for anything pertaining to USB etc
    If listed, select and download.

    > Now that you've read all of the above, I will also say that my friend
    > is trying to exchange it at Target (they're supposed to get more in).
    > I'd rather start from scratch in all this!

    Indeed it maybe a faulty device, but if not and it is a conflict issue,
    then any replacement will also have same problems.
    ded, Jan 11, 2008
  7. Nocantype

    Nuze Groops Guest

    Nocantype wrote:
    > I'll try to be concise.
    > The CD that came with the NWZ-S616F ("the 610 series") loaded in Media
    > Manager for<snip>

    so will I,

    bottom line, Sony mp3 players are horrrrrrrrrrrid.

    ANYTHING else is better than that Godawful software that comes with that
    thing.

    Do yourself a favor and get anything else...

    www.anythingbutipod.com

    for starters
    Nuze Groops, Jan 11, 2008
  8. Nocantype

    Brian Guest

    Nocantype, did you get things working?!

    I think one crucial piece of advice was looked over thus far. Try to install
    and use the mp3 player on a completely different computer. Do the most basic
    install needed for it to work without installing any junk and see what
    happens.

    I thought my Sandisk mp3 player was defective after 4-5 hours of trying to
    get it to recognize and be installed, but then i plugged it in a new pc and
    it worked instantly, so I knew the problem was a conflict on my PC.

    I've been reading about your mp3 player and others who've had issues
    (http://www.atraclife.com/forums/ind...69&showtopic=4228&pid=29931&st=10&#entry29931)
    and one fellow says they reinstalled WMP 11 and it corrected their problem.

    Short of trying the device on another unit, try reinstalling WMP and give
    the MTP download I gave earlier a try to see if that helps you remedy the
    issue.

    Aloha

    Brian, Jan 18, 2008