Sony Memory Sticks: What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by greg.jensen, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. greg.jensen

    greg.jensen Guest

    Sony now has several formats of the Memory Stick. Does anybody know the
    differences, and what is compatible w/ what? I own lots of Sony equipment,
    and I'm noticing that there are some incompatabilities.

    I own a Sony Digital MiniDV Cam that uses standard "Memory Stick"

    I own a Sony Vaio computer, w/ built in reader for the "Memory Stick"

    I just purchased a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-V1 Digital Camera. The dealer told
    me I needed to run "Memory Stick Pro" with this. So I did. The camera
    showed up with an included NON-Pro Memory Stick...so he obviously lied to
    me.

    What I'm now noticing, is that the Memory Stick Pro....does not appear to
    work in my $1500 Digital HandyCam, nor in the built-in reader within my Sony
    Vaio.

    Anybody run into these issues? Do I really need "Pro" media?

    Thanks!
    greg.jensen, Sep 27, 2003

  2. greg.jensen

    Flux Guest

    greg.jensen wrote:
    > Sony now has several formats of the Memory Stick. Does anybody know the
    > differences, and what is compatible w/ what? I own lots of Sony equipment,
    > and I'm noticing that there are some incompatabilities.
    >
    > I own a Sony Digital MiniDV Cam that uses standard "Memory Stick"
    >
    > I own a Sony Vaio computer, w/ built in reader for the "Memory Stick"
    >
    > I just purchased a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-V1 Digital Camera. The dealer told
    > me I needed to run "Memory Stick Pro" with this. So I did. The camera
    > showed up with an included NON-Pro Memory Stick...so he obviously lied to
    > me.
    >
    > What I'm now noticing, is that the Memory Stick Pro....does not appear to
    > work in my $1500 Digital HandyCam, nor in the built-in reader within my Sony
    > Vaio.
    >
    > Anybody run into these issues? Do I really need "Pro" media?
    >
    > Thanks!

    AFAIK, Memory Stick Pro has mainly two advantages over Memory Stick
    'regular': it is available in larger capacities (MS tops at 128 Mb, IIRC),
    and it is faster.

    The one disadvantage is that it is incompatible with older non-MSPro
    equipment (though any camera that can read MSPro will read MS just fine).

    So, you don't really 'need' the MSPro for your DSC-V1, but you may prefer it
    for the capacity and speed.

    Flux
    Flux, Sep 27, 2003

  3. You can read all about the differences between Memory Stick and Memory
    Stick PRO card on <http://www.memorystick.com/>. The basics are that
    anything which can use a Memory Stick PRO card can read a Memory Stick
    card, the reverse is not guaranteed. Devices like your laptop likely
    have firmware updates which can deliver Memory Stick PRO capability for
    you, but likely not the DV camera.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Sep 27, 2003
  4. greg.jensen

    Paul Cordes Guest

    "greg.jensen" <> wrote in message
    > Sony now has several formats of the Memory Stick. Does anybody know the
    > differences, and what is compatible w/ what? I own lots of Sony

    equipment,
    > and I'm noticing that there are some incompatabilities.
    >
    > I own a Sony Digital MiniDV Cam that uses standard "Memory Stick"
    >
    > I own a Sony Vaio computer, w/ built in reader for the "Memory Stick"
    >
    > I just purchased a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-V1 Digital Camera. The dealer told
    > me I needed to run "Memory Stick Pro" with this. So I did. The camera
    > showed up with an included NON-Pro Memory Stick...so he obviously lied to
    > me.
    >
    > What I'm now noticing, is that the Memory Stick Pro....does not appear to
    > work in my $1500 Digital HandyCam, nor in the built-in reader within my

    Sony
    > Vaio.
    >
    > Anybody run into these issues? Do I really need "Pro" media?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Here's where you start to download the update for your Vaio computer.
    http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/cgi-bin/select-p-n.pl
    You'll need a standard Memory Stick, not a MS-Pro, to make the update work.
    Follow the directions closely......printing them out is not a bad idea.
    Paul Cordes, Sep 27, 2003
  5. greg.jensen

    greg.jensen Guest

    Thanks everybody...for the excellent tips! Greatly appreciate it all!

    -GJ

    greg.jensen, Sep 27, 2003
  6. greg.jensen

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <G84db.436825$cF.139740@rwcrnsc53>,
    says...
    > Sony now has several formats of the Memory Stick. Does anybody know the
    > differences, and what is compatible w/ what? I own lots of Sony equipment,
    > and I'm noticing that there are some incompatabilities.
    >
    > I own a Sony Digital MiniDV Cam that uses standard "Memory Stick"
    >
    > I own a Sony Vaio computer, w/ built in reader for the "Memory Stick"
    >
    > I just purchased a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-V1 Digital Camera. The dealer told
    > me I needed to run "Memory Stick Pro" with this. So I did. The camera
    > showed up with an included NON-Pro Memory Stick...so he obviously lied to
    > me.
    >
    > What I'm now noticing, is that the Memory Stick Pro....does not appear to
    > work in my $1500 Digital HandyCam, nor in the built-in reader within my Sony
    > Vaio.
    >
    > Anybody run into these issues? Do I really need "Pro" media?

    Pro can be made in sizes > 128 MB, the biggest size in standard is 128 MB
    (there is a 256 MB model which is actually 2 banks of 128 with a switch).

    Pro is also faster than standard. Newer equipment can use both formats,
    older gear can only read standard.

    There is also magicgate which is standard MS - this functionality is
    built into Pro.
    Mainlander, Sep 29, 2003