    faster. Is it worth spending the extra on the "PRO" version?

    Thanks
    John

    jwv, Jul 17, 2003

  2. jwv

    Rick Guest

    "jwv" <> wrote in message news:49DRa.15178$...
    > Does anyone know if using the Memory Stick Pro will give a digital camera
    > faster write time and improve the lag time between shots. If so how much
    > faster. Is it worth spending the extra on the "PRO" version?

    We haven't seen any difference in lag time with the Pro memory (Sony
    brand 512MB). It does format much quicker (big deal), and transfers
    to the computer are marginally faster (~20%, using USB2.0).

    I'd say if transfer speed is important to you, and you have USB2.0 on
    your system, and/or you need more than 128MB on a single stick,
    then Pro is probably worth it. Otherwise stick with regular sticks :).

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 17, 2003

  3. I've made casual measurements of write times comparing the Memory Stick
    Pro and Memory Stick with the Sony F717 model camera. I find that write
    time on single-shot operations are approximately halved (camera is free
    to operate with MS Pro in 1.5-2 seconds compared to 4-5 seconds with
    Memory Stick 128Mbyte), and TIFF file storage is improved by about
    15-20% (that'a about 8 seconds faster to write a TIFF).

    My MS Pro card reader is USB 2.0 enabled, but my computer is only
    equipped with USB 1.1. However, I do feel there is a small improvement
    in transfer responsiveness.

    While this doesn't seem like much, the difference in performance is
    quite noticeable if I switch from an MS Pro card to a 128Mbyte Memory
    Stick while out shooting. The additional write time delay immediately
    surfaces and becomes an annoyance. With the MS Pro cards in the F717,
    if I lock the white balance, exposure and focus settings, I can then
    make repeated exposures with virtually no delay between shots as if I
    were shooting a film camera, where with the Memory Stick in the camera
    there is a noticeable moment between each shot that I must wait for the
    write to complete.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 17, 2003
  4. "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <> wrote:

    > I've made casual measurements of write times comparing the Memory Stick
    > Pro and Memory Stick with the Sony F717 model camera. I find that write
    > time on single-shot operations are approximately halved (camera is free
    > to operate with MS Pro in 1.5-2 seconds compared to 4-5 seconds with
    > Memory Stick 128Mbyte), and TIFF file storage is improved by about
    > 15-20% (that'a about 8 seconds faster to write a TIFF).

    What are the startup times with a 128MB old MS vs. a 256MB MS Pro???

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 18, 2003
  5. jwv

    Ron Guest

    How about the viewing playback times between pics?

    Ron, Jul 18, 2003
  6. Ok, I just checked. I have 43 pictures on a 256MB Memory Stick Pro and
    60 pictures on a 128MB Memory Stick. Startup times from power on are
    virtually identical (about 1.5 seconds with camera in Playback mode).
    Card acquire time (from the point of inserting a card to when the first
    image appears on the LCD is too short for me to measure with any
    accuracy at all, either one is up and ready in less than a second.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 18, 2003
  7. It's identical between Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro. I believe the
    time between when the camera presents the thumbnail preview and then
    the sharper image rendering is constrained not by data transfer speed
    but by camera processing speed.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 18, 2003
  8. "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <> wrote:

    > Ok, I just checked. I have 43 pictures on a 256MB Memory Stick Pro and
    > 60 pictures on a 128MB Memory Stick. Startup times from power on are
    > virtually identical (about 1.5 seconds with camera in Playback mode).
    > Card acquire time (from the point of inserting a card to when the first
    > image appears on the LCD is too short for me to measure with any
    > accuracy at all, either one is up and ready in less than a second.

    Thanks. My impression (incorrect?) is that the F717 is a tad slower at
    startup than the F707, and I was hoping MS Pro would speed it up.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 18, 2003
  9. jwv

    Rick Guest

    "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <> wrote in message news:170720031536236224%...
    > I've made casual measurements of write times comparing the Memory Stick
    > Pro and Memory Stick with the Sony F717 model camera. I find that write
    > time on single-shot operations are approximately halved (camera is free
    > to operate with MS Pro in 1.5-2 seconds compared to 4-5 seconds with
    > Memory Stick 128Mbyte), and TIFF file storage is improved by about
    > 15-20% (that'a about 8 seconds faster to write a TIFF).

    We didn't see any improvement in TIFF writing speed.. ~30 seconds
    with both the old and Pro memory.

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 18, 2003
  10. I had both cameras at the same time (my 707 is on "permanent loan" to a
    friend of mine now) and didn't notice any difference in startup time.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 18, 2003
  11. jwv

    jwv Guest

    Thanks for all the info, Although with the mixed opinions I'm still not sure
    if it is really faster or not. I'm getting a Sony DSC-P72 and I really am
    only concerned about write speeds to JPEG. Maybe it depends on the type of
    camera you have that effects write speeds. I think the jury is still out on
    this.

    John

    jwv, Jul 18, 2003
  12. jwv

    Rick Guest

    Best advice I can offer is to find a retailer with a good return policy,
    and try it. The P72 only comes with 16MB so you'll need an
    additional card in any case.

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 18, 2003
  13. That's decent advice, but I've only rarely seen retailers that will
    take a return on a memory card other than for damage/defective reasons.

    IN answer to Rick's question, I was estimating before, watching the
    write indicator light inside the battery cover. Since you piqued my
    interest in obtaining more solid numbers, I spent a few minutes to
    measure more formally, timing with a stopwatch from start to end of
    write with both Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro cards using the
    indicator light as a trigger. The cards are both Sony brand. The camera
    is a Sony DSC-F717. I repeated each operation several times (seen in
    parens below) and averaged the results.

    JPEG full resolution "Fine" mode: MS Pro - 1.9 secs, MS - 3.2 secs (20x)
    TIFF (JPEG setting unchanged): MS Pro - 39.9 secs, MS - 47.1 secs (3x)
    Format: MS Pro - 2.1 secs, MS 20.25 secs (2x)

    By these measurements, Memory Stick Pro cards prove to be
    - 40.6% faster on JPEG Fine write time
    - 15.3% faster on TIFF write time
    - 89.6% faster on Format time
    than Memory Stick cards on identical operations performed in this camera

    Percentage differences are calculated by the formula:
    percent == 1 - (MS Pro time / MS time)

    RickW, how have you made the measurements you're posting??

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 19, 2003
  14. Well, I still disagree with you ... In single shot use, JPEG fine mode
    shooting, the camera feels much more responsive with the Memory Stick
    Pro card than the Memory Stick card. As I said in my original post, if
    one locks the white balance, exposure and focus, you can shoot nearly
    as fast as you click the shutter release with the Pro card, but you
    must pause longer between each shot with the standard Memory Stick
    card. It's the difference made by a 40%+ faster write time, nothing
    else, as nothing else has changed.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 19, 2003