Sony Mavica Floppy cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bible John, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. Bible John

    Bible John Guest

    Yesterday I was at a wedding and ran into a individual still using the
    Mavica. We chatted, and he told me that he for a number of reasons prefers
    the older Mavica to any of the newer cameras (which he said he has tried).
    He said that he likes the large screen, the powerful and fast zoom, the wide
    range of lens you can purchase, and the floppies. I have to admit they do
    have some advantages, especially at a place like a wedding, where you can
    just give the person or persons a floppy right there on the spot.

    This is what can be done with Poloroids, and why I still have one, and why I
    still see film, and these cameras beign sold in stores. There have been
    times where I needed a picture right on the spot, and was far away from a
    computer. So my poloroid came in handy.

    Although I have a smaller and nicer Kodak, perhaps I might wnat to play with
    the Mavica.

    Is this one any good (just for web, and online use)?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-MAVICA-MVC...610669349QQcategoryZ30004QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    SONY MAVICA MVC-FD91 3.5 FLOPPY DISK CAMERA PROFESIONAL

    John

    --
    1 Pet 3:15-But sanctify the Lord God[a] in your hearts, and always be ready
    to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in

    Bible John, Apr 17, 2006

  2. "Bible John" <>

    > I have to admit they do have some advantages, especially at a place like a
    > wedding, where you can just give the person or persons a floppy right
    > there on the spot.

    The question is if those people still have floppy drives on their PCs ...

    Andreas

    --
    http://www.subworld.at

    Andreas Thaler, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Bible John

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Bible John <> wrote:

    >Is this one any good (just for web, and online use)?
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-MAVICA-MVC...610669349QQcategoryZ30004QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >SONY MAVICA MVC-FD91 3.5 FLOPPY DISK CAMERA PROFESIONAL

    Maximum image size is 1024 x 768. Even for web use that gives you little
    freedom to crop. So you had better frame your pictures perfectly. In some
    situations, like a parade, this is hard to do. And it is 7 1/2 years old.

    You can read a review of it here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/mavica_fd91.asp

    Seeing the Buy Now price I'm sure the seller has put a high reserve on the
    camera. So my feeling is it is overpriced. Maybe if you could get it for
    $100...

    Don Wiss, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Per Bible John:
    >Although I have a smaller and nicer Kodak, perhaps I might wnat to play with
    >the Mavica.
    >
    >Is this one any good (just for web, and online use)?

    I still have photos take with my old Mavica.

    What stands out is how poor the rez is. Don't recall what the numbers were,
    but viewing the pix, it is *bad*.... OTOH, maybe for smallish web photos...

    Also, I don't recall how fast/slow it was - but saving to a floppy disk vs a CF
    or SD card has got to be significantly slower.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 17, 2006
  5. Bible John

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:43:29 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >Per Bible John:
    >>Although I have a smaller and nicer Kodak, perhaps I might wnat to play with
    >>the Mavica.
    >>
    >>Is this one any good (just for web, and online use)?

    >I still have photos take with my old Mavica.
    >
    >What stands out is how poor the rez is. Don't recall what the numbers were,
    >but viewing the pix, it is *bad*.... OTOH, maybe for smallish web photos...
    >
    >Also, I don't recall how fast/slow it was - but saving to a floppy disk vs a CF
    >or SD card has got to be significantly slower.

    My first digital camera was a Mavica FD-7. I still have many of the photos.
    Bad I remember was no optical viewfinder. Also at hi res the camera scanned
    the image twice giving very bad "jaggies" at slower shutter speeds.
    Seems like it was about $700 and I was proud to have it. Sold it later for $350!

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Bible John

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Jack Mac" <> wrote

    > My first digital camera was a Mavica FD-7. I still have many of the

    photos.
    > Bad I remember was no optical viewfinder. Also at hi res the camera

    scanned
    > the image twice giving very bad "jaggies" at slower shutter speeds.
    > Seems like it was about $700 and I was proud to have it. Sold it later for

    $350!

    This jogged my memory (what's left of it) and prompted me to look in a 1999
    Dick Smith Electronics catalogue (Australia) and scan this item:

    http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/mykoalabear/images/Bargain.jpg

    In US dollars, that's $1167. Ah, the good old days...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Apr 18, 2006
  7. Bible John

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:43:10 +1000, "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR
    optusnet.com.au> wrote:

    >"Jack Mac" <> wrote
    >
    >> My first digital camera was a Mavica FD-7. I still have many of the

    >photos.
    >> Bad I remember was no optical viewfinder. Also at hi res the camera

    >scanned
    >> the image twice giving very bad "jaggies" at slower shutter speeds.
    >> Seems like it was about $700 and I was proud to have it. Sold it later for

    >$350!
    >
    >This jogged my memory (what's left of it) and prompted me to look in a 1999
    >Dick Smith Electronics catalogue (Australia) and scan this item:
    >
    >http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/mykoalabear/images/Bargain.jpg
    >
    >In US dollars, that's $1167. Ah, the good old days...
    >
    >Paul

    Interesting advertisement!
    I looked back at all my old Mavica photos and they were all shot in 1997
    and 1998. Sony made two Mavicas the FD5 and the FD7. I don't think the
    FD5 had the 10X optical zoom lens.

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Bible John

    mrsgator88 Guest

    New technologies often sacrifice something nice that the old technology had.
    You have to give a little to get something more I guess.

    SteveO

    mrsgator88, Apr 20, 2006
  9. Bible John

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Bible John wrote:

    > http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-MAVICA-MVC...610669349QQcategoryZ30004QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >
    > SONY MAVICA MVC-FD91 3.5 FLOPPY DISK CAMERA PROFESIONAL

    Wow.. 14x zoom on a 0.8 megapixel camera. And here I am with only 12x
    zoom on my 8.0 megapixel camera. ;)

    Seriously though, I understand the OP's desire to have photos ready
    right away, but that's a serious image quality hit to take for the sake
    of convenience.

    The same was true of the Polaroid land camera; yes, you had your photos
    right away, but I have never seen a *truly* nice looking photo come from
    such a beast.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Apr 22, 2006