  1. Do they take great shots? I primarly need one to email photos or post to a
    website. I will rarely print, and when I do I will do it at a Kinko's using
    their photo machine. Does anyone have any experience?
    Crucifyself03, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Crucifyself03

    grenner Guest

    I teach a high school web design class and use nothing but floppy Sonys.
    The work great and the pics are easy to upload into any computer. I chose
    the floppy Mavicas because they are easy to use, take good pictures that are
    great for Web use. Being only 640x480 they really will not print very well.
    They are also a durable camera that can put up with fairly heavy student
    use.

    Greg

    grenner, Jul 27, 2003

  3. "grenner" <> wrote in message
    > I teach a high school web design class and use nothing but floppy Sonys.
    > The work great and the pics are easy to upload into any computer. I chose
    > the floppy Mavicas because they are easy to use, take good pictures that

    are
    > great for Web use. Being only 640x480 they really will not print very

    well.
    > They are also a durable camera that can put up with fairly heavy student
    > use.

    Current FD-Mavicas are higher res, 2-3mp IIRC. They are perfect for schools
    where networks, card readers and USB connections aren't always commonplace.
    For more aspiring photographers, they are a waste of money.

    --
    Martin
    http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty
    Martin Francis, Jul 27, 2003
  4. Crucifyself03

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, crucifyself03
    @aol.comnojunk says...
    > Do they take great shots?

    No, they take horrible shots. There are much better cameras for the same
    money.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 27, 2003
  5. Yes I understand that newer cameras do not take as good low res images as the
    floppy cameras. If you buy a 5MP CD camera and take a 640x480 shot the res
    still will be too high to download with a modem.

    I do not understand why many Mac people bash the floppy camera. Perhaps they
    do not understand that some people use cameras and rarely need to print.

    Crucifyself03, Jul 28, 2003
  6. << Current FD-Mavicas are higher res, 2-3mp IIRC. They are perfect for schools
    where networks, card readers and USB connections aren't always commonplace.
    For more aspiring photographers, they are a waste of money. >>

    Of coarse, but profesional photographers usually print, and the floppy cameras
    are not designed for printing.

    I tested the 1.2MP camera, which takes better 640x480 shots than my Vivitar. I
    wa amazed how clear the photos looked for only 50K. Man this camera is perfect
    for web design use.
    Crucifyself03, Jul 28, 2003
  7. Crucifyself03

    JohnO Guest

    I've been using a Sony Mavica since Feb of 99 and yes, they do take great
    shots depending on which model you use and what you want it to do.

    My 1st digital camera was a Sony Mavica FD-91 and used only floppies. Not
    the greatest for 8x10 if you ever expected to print that size but for 4x6
    and even 5x7 it worked very well. For the results from those I always
    considered it a plus by the amount of compression it used. Here are a few
    examples and I did have many of these printed and they are excellent 4x6
    prints.

    http://members.cox.net/johnori/fd91/

    I upgraded to the Sony Mavica FD-95 and 8x10 prints came out very good to
    excellent depending on the scene being shot. The FD-95 was the same as the
    next upgrade, the FD-97, when using a floppy but also gave the option of
    using a memory stick and results from that were excellent.

    The FD-91, FD-95 and FD-97 all are very large digital cameras not only
    because of the floppy drives but because of the big zoom lens. I've never
    used the other smaller lens Mavicas but results would probably be similar.

    As you say you will mostly be using these for the web and email, I'd say a
    Mavica would be fine. Examples for web use can be found on my website
    www.riview.com with specifc links below.

    Here are a few of my links with only FD-95 & FD-97 shots. I almost always
    shoot at the highest resolution (1600x1200) and then resize as needed but
    shooting at a smaller res gives similar results, except when printing.

    http://www.riview.com/0503/0503gal1.html

    http://www.riview.com/weekly03/weekly03.html

    http://www.riview.com/4sale/ ( I have printed all the photos on this
    page at 8x10 with excellent results)

    You can be the judge as to the web quality.

    JohnO, Jul 28, 2003
  8. Wow what a wonderful camera! I am impressed with the results. My client knows
    jack about computers, and she needs a simple camera basicially for computer use
    only. The floppy camera is what she will purchase.

    I do not understand why many Mac people hate the floppy cameras as well as
    floppy disk drives. Their loss.

    Thank you for your wonderfukl advice....

    Crucifyself03, Jul 28, 2003
  9. Crucifyself03

    JK Guest

    Crucifyself03 wrote:

    > Wow what a wonderful camera! I am impressed with the results. My client knows
    > jack about computers, and she needs a simple camera basicially for computer use
    > only. The floppy camera is what she will purchase.
    >
    > I do not understand why many Mac people hate the floppy cameras as well as
    > floppy disk drives. Their loss.

    Many pc users hate floppy disks as well. Floppy disks can at times
    be quite unreliable. I would not want my images stored on them.
    They are also too small to store even one image with decent resolution
    and a low level of compression.

    JK, Jul 29, 2003
  10. ....
    > Yes I understand that newer cameras do not take as good low res images as the
    > floppy cameras. If you buy a 5MP CD camera and take a 640x480 shot the res
    > still will be too high to download with a modem.

    Whoa, just what do you mean by "res still will be too high"? 640x480 is 640x480
    no matter what camera produced it.

    File size is what directly relates to download time. The file size will depend on
    the resolution - in this case 640x480 -, whether the information is uncompressed
    or compressed, and if compressed, how much compression.

    As an example: using 8 bit uncompressed TIFF format - that's 3 8 bit color values
    for each pixel gives: 640 x 480 x 3 bytes = 921600 bytes. Pretty much the worst
    case, unless your camera happens to produce 12 or 16 bit per color channel output.
    Every modern camera also gives the choice of mild to heavy compression, using
    the JPEG format. Final file sizes will depend on the composition of the picture as
    well as the amount of compression and resultant loss, but results will probably
    be in the 10KB to 100KB range.

    So a modern 5MP camera can certainly produce a 640x480 picture small enough
    to send and receive by telephone modem.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "Lightning crashes, an old mother dies
    Her intentions fall to the floor
    The angel closes her eyes
    The confusion that was hers
    Belongs now, to the baby down the hall"
    Dan Wojciechowski, Jul 31, 2003
  11. Crucifyself03

    B.Rumary Guest

    Jk wrote:

    > Floppies are ancient technology. A floppy disk is only 1.4 meg.
    > This forces the camera to have low resolution and or high levels
    > of compression to fit a few images on a floppy. At some point
    > most people want to print images. Even if it is not that common,
    > you will want your favorite images to be in high enough resolution
    > so you can have a decent print made. Floppy based cameras
    > are also quite bulky.

    The latest camera in the Mavica series uses 8cm mini-CDs to store the
    images, instead of floppies. These hold about 160Mb, which enables the
    camera to have a 4Mp sensor.

    What surprises me is that Sony never produced a Mavica that used their
    own MiniDisk technology. I know that these have only been used for
    audio storage, but at one time Sony were trying to get them adopted for
    data storage. I think the spread of cheap CD-RW drives did for this
    idea.

    Brian Rumary, England

    http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm
    B.Rumary, Aug 6, 2003