    password as the laptop has not been transfreed from the seller to me.

    i have tried removing the battery and CMOS, but to no avail. Is there a
    backdoor password that can be used to unlock the BIOS password on the laptop
    RAM, Apr 28, 2005

  2. RAM

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    RAM took 11 lines to utter:

    >Hi
    >Bought a sony TR5 laptop from Ebay and when I start the computer, its asking
    >me for the bios password. I do not knwo the password and the seller is
    >unreachable.
    >I have contacted sony and they say that they cannot give me a master
    >password as the laptop has not been transfreed from the seller to me.
    >
    >i have tried removing the battery and CMOS, but to no avail. Is there a
    >backdoor password that can be used to unlock the BIOS password on the laptop

    Oh, dear. If it were me, I'd make a police report -- it may
    have been stolen -- so that nothing can come back to bite
    you in the bum at a later date.

    In the meantime, see:
    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 28, 2005

  3. RAM

    Aquanaut Guest

    "RAM" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Bought a sony TR5 laptop from Ebay and when I start the computer, its
    > asking me for the bios password. I do not knwo the password and the seller
    > is unreachable.
    > I have contacted sony and they say that they cannot give me a master
    > password as the laptop has not been transfreed from the seller to me.
    >
    > i have tried removing the battery and CMOS, but to no avail. Is there a
    > backdoor password that can be used to unlock the BIOS password on the
    > laptop

    this may help
    http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosp.htm
    Aquanaut, Apr 28, 2005
  4. RAM

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:44:35 +0100, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >Oh, dear. If it were me, I'd make a police report -- it may
    >have been stolen -- so that nothing can come back to bite
    >you in the bum at a later date.

    File a police report on what grounds?
    Evan Platt, Apr 28, 2005
  5. RAM

    Aquanaut Guest

    http://www.pwcrack.com/security_chips_sony.shtml
    Aquanaut, Apr 28, 2005
  6. RAM

    Aquanaut Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:44:35 +0100, °Mike° <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Oh, dear. If it were me, I'd make a police report -- it may
    >>have been stolen -- so that nothing can come back to bite
    >>you in the bum at a later date.

    > File a police report on what grounds?
    > --
    > To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.

    "I think i may have inadvertantly bought a stolen laptop"

    They will not take any notice--but atleast it is on file for use ,whenever
    Aquanaut, Apr 28, 2005
  7. RAM

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Evan Platt took 10 lines to utter:

    >On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:44:35 +0100, °Mike° <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Oh, dear. If it were me, I'd make a police report -- it may
    >>have been stolen -- so that nothing can come back to bite
    >>you in the bum at a later date.

    >File a police report on what grounds?

    On the grounds that there is reason to suspect that
    it could be a stolen laptop -- if it turns out to have
    incredibly sensitive or secret information on it (I
    know, unlikely, but possible), the buyer has then
    covered his ass in the event of such circumstances.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 28, 2005
  8. RAM

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:50:35 +0100, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >On the grounds that there is reason to suspect that
    >it could be a stolen laptop --

    What grounds? I fail to see any evidence that it may be stolen. The OP
    needs some patience. Maybe a phone call to the seller.
    Evan Platt, Apr 29, 2005
  9. RAM

    TJ Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:50:35 +0100, °Mike° <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On the grounds that there is reason to suspect that
    >> it could be a stolen laptop --

    > What grounds? I fail to see any evidence that it may be stolen.

    It was purchased from a stranger, the bios PW was not supplied, and the
    seller is *unreachable*. Seems grounds enough to file a report. I would,
    if I was stupid enough to buy anything off of E-bay. If for no other reason
    than to cover my ass in case it DOES come up stolen.

    > The OP
    > needs some patience. Maybe a phone call to the seller.

    What part of;
    ---------------------
  10. RAM

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:00:23 -0400, "TJ" <> wrote:

    >It was purchased from a stranger, the bios PW was not supplied, and the
    >seller is *unreachable*.

    None of those, IMHO, qualify for suspicion that the laptop is stolen.

    The OP never defined 'the seller is unreachable'. I've been in the
    alt.marketing.online.ebay group long enough to know people have
    unrealistic expectations. I've seen threads where a buyer says "I paid
    the seller, and have left 5 e-mails to confirm he received my paypal
    payment, no response, what do I do?" only to find out the buyer paid
    yesterday, and waited all of 24 hours, and sent 5 e-mails in those 24
    hours.

    >Seems grounds enough to file a report. I would,
    >if I was stupid enough to buy anything off of E-bay. If for no other reason
    >than to cover my ass in case it DOES come up stolen.

    Your eBay transaction history would be enough to CYA.

    >> The OP
    >> needs some patience. Maybe a phone call to the seller.

    >What part of;
    >---------------------
    >"........ and the seller is unreachable."
    >-------------------
    >did you fail to comprehend?

    I'd bet what little I have that the OP didn't telephone the seller,
    simply sent a e-mail (or two, or 3...)
    Evan Platt, Apr 29, 2005
  11. RAM

    TJ Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:00:23 -0400, "TJ" <> wrote:
    >
    >> It was purchased from a stranger, the bios PW was not supplied, and
    >> the seller is *unreachable*.

    > None of those, IMHO, qualify for suspicion that the laptop is stolen.
    >
    > The OP never defined 'the seller is unreachable'.

    Ummm yeah. s/he did. Here's the original post in case you missed it. I've
    taken the liberty of putting the pertinant words in bold for you.
    -----------------------------------

    From: "RAM" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Sony Laptop bought on Ebay and Has Bios Password
    Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:53:20 +0100

    Hi
    Bought a sony TR5 laptop from Ebay and when I start the computer, its asking
    me for the bios password. I do not knwo the password *and* *the* *seller*
    *is*
    *unreachable*.
    I have contacted sony and they say that they cannot give me a master
    password as the laptop has not been transfreed from the seller to me.

    i have tried removing the battery and CMOS, but to no avail. Is there a
    backdoor password that can be used to unlock the BIOS password on the laptop

    <snip>

    > Your eBay transaction history would be enough to CYA.

    Hopefully. I'd just as soon be sure if it were me, though.

    >>> The OP
    >>> needs some patience. Maybe a phone call to the seller.

    >> What part of;
    >> ---------------------
    >> "........ and the seller is unreachable."
    >> -------------------
    >> did you fail to comprehend?

    > I'd bet what little I have that the OP didn't telephone the seller,
    > simply sent a e-mail (or two, or 3...)

    When someone writes, "so-and-so is unreachable" ... I naturally assume
    they've exhausted *all* options. Then again? ...

    This is 24hoursupport.helpdesk group.

    My bad.
    TJ, Apr 29, 2005
  12. RAM

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:27:16 -0400, "TJ" <> wrote:

    >> The OP never defined 'the seller is unreachable'.

    >Ummm yeah. s/he did.

    Umm no, s/he didn't.

    >Here's the original post in case you missed it. I've
    >taken the liberty of putting the pertinant words in bold for you.

    I see nothing in BOLD. I see asterisks:

    >*and* *the* *seller* *is* *unreachable*.

    Once again, no part of that indicates the buyer made a telephone call.
    From my experience in AMOE, there are thousands of people who say "The
    seller is unreachable", where someone follows up with "Well, what
    happened when you called them?" and the response, 99% of the time is
    "Oh.. How do I get their number?"

    We can only wait for the OP to reply, but I'm betting the OP simply
    e-mailed the seller, not telephoned them.
    Evan Platt, Apr 30, 2005
  13. RAM

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:53:20 +0100, "RAM" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Bought a sony TR5 laptop from Ebay and when I start the computer, its asking
    >me for the bios password. I do not knwo the password and the seller is
    >unreachable.
    >I have contacted sony and they say that they cannot give me a master
    >password as the laptop has not been transfreed from the seller to me.
    >
    >i have tried removing the battery and CMOS, but to no avail. Is there a
    >backdoor password that can be used to unlock the BIOS password on the laptop

    Did you try CALLING the seller?
    Evan Platt, Apr 30, 2005
  14. RAM

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Evan Platt took 10 lines to utter:

    >On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:50:35 +0100, °Mike° <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On the grounds that there is reason to suspect that
    >>it could be a stolen laptop --

    >What grounds? I fail to see any evidence that it may be stolen.

    Because you fail to see it, does not mean that it doesn't exist,
    and is your problem, not mine.

    >The OP needs some patience. Maybe a phone call to the seller.

    You assume too much.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 1, 2005
  15. RAM

    conradodav

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    Hey if you need support for SONY bios password feel free to write to conradodav at hotmail dot com or visit laptoprebirth dot com
    conradodav, Mar 3, 2009