    anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy it, try
    it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee (about $60).

    TIA

    Mike R., Nov 25, 2006

  2. silverthreads, Nov 25, 2006

  3. Mike R.

    Mike R. Guest

    "silverthreads" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
    > have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
    > . Visit with other H5 users at
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
    > Mike R. wrote:
    >> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
    >> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
    >> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
    >> (about $60).
    >>
    >> TIA

    Any problems with white balance with indoor lighting? I take a lot of
    family event pictures indoors, and of all the manufacturers, Sony
    digicams have the most white balance problems.

    Mike R., Nov 26, 2006
  4. My biggest problem has been with shooting LED Displays. They appear to
    the CCD to be much warmer than they really are. I did a custom white
    balance to the display itself at a recent event. I just wish I could
    have stored and recalled that white balance at will so that I could
    have switched to a conventional preset and back to my custom preset
    without re white balancing. I have not done a lot of indoor tungsten
    event photography, here is a suggestion for custom white balancing
    http://www.warmcards.com/digital_camera.html

    silverthreads, Nov 26, 2006
  5. Mike R.

    Mike R. Guest

    "silverthreads" <> wrote in

    > I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
    > have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
    > . Visit with other H5 users at
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
    > Mike R. wrote:
    >> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
    >> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
    >> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
    >> (about $60).
    >>
    >> TIA

    BestBuy had a model on display. I played with it, and others, for a long
    time. I noticed that even when I pointed the camera at a bright object,
    even overhead lights, with flash set to automatic and no matter what
    focal length, the flash always popped open and went off. There seemed to
    be more than enough ambient light, but the flash still went off. I also
    noticed that it took a long time for the flash to refresh, at least 7
    seconds every time, and sometimes much longer. Steve's Digicams mentions
    this. I could get by with a long flash recycle time, maybe, but if the
    flash wants to go off so often, I don't think I could.

    I've read user reviews, but none have complained about flash recycle
    time, and especially the fact that the flash wanted to go off in lighting
    conditions that seemed not to require a flash. While not exactly an
    apples to apples comparison, I tried other super-zoom cameras whose flash
    didn't need to go off, and when they did, the recylce time was under 2
    seconds.

    What's your experience with the recycle time, and does the flash seem to
    want to go off when you would think it shouldn't?

    TIA

    Mike R., Nov 26, 2006
  6. I have run into some extraordinarily long recycle times. I am curious
    as to whether the the AC-LS5K Portable AC AdapterAC-LS5K would improve
    those times, but that would be irrelevant in the field. I regret not
    having a hot shoe or pc connection for an external flash.

    silverthreads, Nov 26, 2006
  7. I pointed at a shaded window and an exposed 60 watt bulb and it did not
    go off in auto. I do not know where the threshold is. Whereas I shoot
    primarily in S or A mode, auto flash is not an option.

    silverthreads, Nov 26, 2006
  8. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=H5 recycle time&page=1&forum=1009

    silverthreads, Nov 26, 2006
  9. Mike R.

    irwell Guest

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 09:51:56 -0600, "Mike R." <> wrote:

    >"silverthreads" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
    >> have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
    >> . Visit with other H5 users at
    >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
    >> Mike R. wrote:
    >>> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
    >>> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
    >>> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
    >>> (about $60).
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >BestBuy had a model on display. I played with it, and others, for a long
    >time. I noticed that even when I pointed the camera at a bright object,
    >even overhead lights, with flash set to automatic and no matter what
    >focal length, the flash always popped open and went off. There seemed to
    >be more than enough ambient light, but the flash still went off. I also
    >noticed that it took a long time for the flash to refresh, at least 7
    >seconds every time, and sometimes much longer. Steve's Digicams mentions
    >this. I could get by with a long flash recycle time, maybe, but if the
    >flash wants to go off so often, I don't think I could.
    >
    >I've read user reviews, but none have complained about flash recycle
    >time, and especially the fact that the flash wanted to go off in lighting
    >conditions that seemed not to require a flash. While not exactly an
    >apples to apples comparison, I tried other super-zoom cameras whose flash
    >didn't need to go off, and when they did, the recylce time was under 2
    >seconds.
    >
    >What's your experience with the recycle time, and does the flash seem to
    >want to go off when you would think it shouldn't?
    >
    >TIA

    The beauty of having an H5 is you won't want to use
    the automatic settings.

    irwell, Nov 26, 2006
  10. Mike R.

    Mike R. Guest

    "silverthreads" <> wrote in

    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=H5 recycle time&page
    > =1&forum=1009 Mike R. wrote:
    >> "silverthreads" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
    >> > have been able to capture
    >> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/ . Visit with other H5
    >> > users at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009

    >> BestBuy had a model on display. I played with it, and others, for a
    >> long time. I noticed that even when I pointed the camera at a bright
    >> object, even overhead lights, with flash set to automatic and no
    >> matter what focal length, the flash always popped open and went off.
    >> There seemed to be more than enough ambient light, but the flash
    >> still went off. I also noticed that it took a long time for the
    >> flash to refresh, at least 7 seconds every time, and sometimes much
    >> longer. Steve's Digicams mentions this. I could get by with a long
    >> flash recycle time, maybe, but if the flash wants to go off so often,
    >> I don't think I could.
    >>
    >> I've read user reviews, but none have complained about flash recycle
    >> time, and especially the fact that the flash wanted to go off in
    >> lighting conditions that seemed not to require a flash. While not
    >> exactly an apples to apples comparison, I tried other super-zoom
    >> cameras whose flash didn't need to go off, and when they did, the
    >> recylce time was under 2 seconds.
    >>
    >> What's your experience with the recycle time, and does the flash seem
    >> to want to go off when you would think it shouldn't?
    >>
    >> TIA

    Thanks for that link. I'd read the reviews there, also, but didn't see
    that particular thread. Too bad that this long recycle also exists with
    the H2, too, because I tried it out also.

    Tough decision. Most of my pics will be of family gatherings, and as it
    is, they always scream when I want to take another pic, "just to be sure
    bracketing", and they have to wait 3 or 4 seconds. You know how it is,
    no one wants to pose, but when they see the pics later, they are glad
    someone took them!

    The other super-zoom cameras I tried were the Kodaks and the Panasonics.
    I didn't try the Canons, since I've always thought the menu system is not
    as user friendly. Maybe I should.

    If I go down to a smaller zoom, say 6X, my choice widens.

    Mike R., Nov 26, 2006