    Sony is repairing Minolta cameras with CCD failures for free, usually
    exchanging them with Sony H2 models.
    Is this a reasonable one for one exchange or could I do better ?

    Steve Stone, Sep 2, 2006

  2. Steve Stone

    Guest

    Steve Stone wrote:
    > Sony is repairing Minolta cameras with CCD failures for free, usually
    > exchanging them with Sony H2 models.
    > Is this a reasonable one for one exchange or could I do better ?

    I don't think that it is realy a good one-for-one replacement.
    The 7Hi has a mechanical zoom ring, a manual focus ring, an external
    flash shoe and a PC socket for external/studio flash; the Sony H2 has
    none of that.
    The 7Hi also has a bigger CCD, with (only slightly) lower resolution
    (5.2mp Vs 6.2mp) and so I'd expect lower image noise at high ISO or
    with longish exposures.
    The 7Hi even has a more nifty swivel EVF, which mean that waiste level
    and from tripod shooting is much less of a pain in the neck.
    By all means try and get Sony to replace the dogdy CCD in your Dimage
    7Hi, otherwise there is a good chance that you will be very disapointed
    with a Sony H2.
    I had a Dimage 7i, but the sensor died and Sony had the recall.
    The choice I was given was between waiting 3 to 6 months to have the 7i
    repaired or get a free Dimage A200.
    The A200 isn't as sturdy feeling, doesn't use AA batteries and is
    missing the nifty swivel viewfinder.
    Considering that it was free and I got 8mp and Shake Reduction, I
    suppose that I realy should whine too loudly about it. ;-)

    , Sep 2, 2006

  3. Steve Stone

    Steve Stone Guest

    Looks like something has changed at Sony's Laredo TX repair center.

    Yesterday the UPS man delivered to me my repaired Minolta 7HI with a new CCD
    circuit board.

    Steve

    Steve Stone, Sep 16, 2006