Sony H1 samples

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Andreas Buchner, Jul 18, 2005.

    1. Advertising

  1. Andreas Buchner

    Pete D Guest

    Yuk, didn't like the red thing did it?

    Pete D, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Andreas Buchner

    [BnH] Guest

    If that is images out of the box .. its damn sharp. but as Pete D typed ...
    where's the red ?

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 18, 2005
  3. Am Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:03:40 +1000 schrieb [BnH]:

    > If that is images out of the box .. its damn sharp. but as Pete D typed ...
    > where's the red ?

    Which red do you refer to?

    Regards,
    Andi

    Andreas Buchner, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Andreas Buchner

    Mark² Guest

    > Here are some new H1 samples:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/image/46360366
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/image/46360375
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/image/46360385
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/image/46360390
    >
    > More H1 samples here:
    > http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/niedergottsau_2005
    >
    > and here:
    > http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/kaltenberg_2005
    >
    > Comments are welcome!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Andi

    Not bad, but reds appear to be a real trouble area.

    Mark², Jul 18, 2005
  5. Andreas Buchner

    Mark² Guest

    > Am Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:03:40 +1000 schrieb [BnH]:
    >
    >> If that is images out of the box .. its damn sharp. but as Pete D typed
    >> where's the red ?

    > Which red do you refer to?

    The red cotton stuff loses it's detail in a mess of reddish...stuff.
    The other colors in the cotton maintain detail.

    Mark², Jul 18, 2005
  6. Mark² wrote:
    > "Andreas Buchner" <> wrote in message
    >> Am Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:03:40 +1000 schrieb [BnH]:
    >>
    >>> If that is images out of the box .. its damn sharp. but as Pete D
    >>> typed ...
    >>> where's the red ?

    >> Which red do you refer to?

    > The red cotton stuff loses it's detail in a mess of reddish...stuff.
    > The other colors in the cotton maintain detail.

    At that size, and with a JPEG image, I'm not sure it's a fair judgement.

    Equally, in http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/image/46360385 there are signs
    of chromatic aberration or purple fringing, but you can't judge at that
    image size. With the camera only taking Memory Sticks, it's a moot point
    for me!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 18, 2005
  7. Andreas Buchner

    Mark² Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:p4LCe.72119$...
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> "Andreas Buchner" <> wrote in message

    >>> Which red do you refer to?

    >> The red cotton stuff loses it's detail in a mess of reddish...stuff.
    >> The other colors in the cotton maintain detail.

    > At that size, and with a JPEG image, I'm not sure it's a fair judgement.

    Perhaps not, but the detail is there in the other colors at that size.
    Noting this, it does seem to show some indicators of comparative trouble.

    Mark², Jul 18, 2005
  8. Andreas Buchner

    [BnH] Guest

    That size ey ? :)

    http://etienne.multiply.com/photos/photo/8/23.jpg

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 18, 2005
  9. Andreas Buchner

    Pete D Guest

    Whats your point here?

    Pete D, Jul 18, 2005
  10. David J Taylor, Jul 18, 2005
  11. Andreas Buchner

    Pete D Guest

    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
    > in message news:p4LCe.72119$...
    >> Mark² wrote:
    >>> "Andreas Buchner" <> wrote in message

    >>> The red cotton stuff loses it's detail in a mess of reddish...stuff.
    >>> The other colors in the cotton maintain detail.

    >> At that size, and with a JPEG image, I'm not sure it's a fair judgement.

    > Perhaps not, but the detail is there in the other colors at that size.
    > Noting this, it does seem to show some indicators of comparative trouble.

    If "I" was trying to show off how good a camera was I certainly would not
    use the red fluffy shot at any size if it did that.

    Pete D, Jul 18, 2005
  12. Am Mon, 18 Jul 2005 02:48:33 -0700 schrieb Mark²:

    > The red cotton stuff loses it's detail in a mess of reddish...stuff.
    > The other colors in the cotton maintain detail.

    It was in bright sunlight an almost flourescent red. I'm very satisfied
    with the color reproduction. On my calibrated screen even in the red region
    there is detail. What kinda display do you use?

    Regards,
    Andi

    Andreas Buchner, Jul 18, 2005
  13. Andreas Buchner

    [BnH] Guest

    Its jpeg, its small and has red ?
    as david was typing " At that size, and with a JPEG image, I'm not sure it's
    a fair judgement."

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:ccMCe.72149$...

    [BnH], Jul 18, 2005
  14. [BnH] wrote:
    > Its jpeg, its small and has red ?
    > as david was typing " At that size, and with a JPEG image, I'm not
    > sure it's a fair judgement."

    What I was saying is that in such a small image, reduced from the original
    size, you cannot expect to judge detail which may, or may not, be present
    in the original image. To comment on those images one would need the
    original image from the camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 18, 2005
  15. Andreas Buchner

    Mark² Guest

    > Am Mon, 18 Jul 2005 02:48:33 -0700 schrieb Mark²:
    >
    >> The red cotton stuff loses it's detail in a mess of reddish...stuff.
    >> The other colors in the cotton maintain detail.

    > It was in bright sunlight an almost flourescent red. I'm very satisfied
    > with the color reproduction. On my calibrated screen even in the red
    > region
    > there is detail. What kinda display do you use?

    I'm not saying there is no detail. It just appears that more is lost in the
    reds than in the other colors.

    I'm using a perfectly calibrated, high definition (1600x1200 display) that
    sees every letter of this:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/45959621
    and other similar tests that deal with color.

    Mark², Jul 18, 2005
  16. Andreas Buchner

    Pete D Guest

    > I'm not saying there is no detail. It just appears that more is lost in
    > the reds than in the other colors.
    >
    > I'm using a perfectly calibrated, high definition (1600x1200 display) that
    > sees every letter of this:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/45959621
    > and other similar tests that deal with color.

    I can see the above on my 21" CRT monitor and the reds on that shot are
    crap.

    Pete D, Jul 18, 2005
  17. Pete D wrote:
    >>I'm not saying there is no detail. It just appears that more is lost in
    >>the reds than in the other colors.
    >>
    >>I'm using a perfectly calibrated, high definition (1600x1200 display) that
    >>sees every letter of this:
    >>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/45959621
    >>and other similar tests that deal with color.

    > I can see the above on my 21" CRT monitor and the reds on that shot are
    > crap.

    I have seen this red object problem before. This may be the color
    resolution problem that George Preddy keeps preaching about. When an
    object is of one pure color, it has no green to help out its resolution.
    The Foveon solves that particular problem, and it's worth thinking about.

    Try it with your camera. Set some towels next to each other, various
    colors, but one blood red. You should be able to see the texture in all
    of them, but I predict the red one will be fuzzy.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jul 19, 2005
  18. Andreas Buchner

    Guest

    In message <vrYCe.9063$>,
    Gary Eickmeier <> wrote:

    >Pete D wrote:
    >>>I'm not saying there is no detail. It just appears that more is lost in
    >>>the reds than in the other colors.

    >>>I'm using a perfectly calibrated, high definition (1600x1200 display) that
    >>>sees every letter of this:
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/45959621
    >>>and other similar tests that deal with color.

    >> I can see the above on my 21" CRT monitor and the reds on that shot are
    >> crap.

    >I have seen this red object problem before. This may be the color
    >resolution problem that George Preddy keeps preaching about. When an
    >object is of one pure color, it has no green to help out its resolution.

    You don't need any green in a red object. The red object can have
    detail just from variations in luminance

    >The Foveon solves that particular problem, and it's worth thinking about.

    The foveon is more sensitive to red, relative to green and blue, than
    most bayer sensors are. IOW, the red is more likely to blow out in the
    RAW data.

    >Try it with your camera. Set some towels next to each other, various
    >colors, but one blood red. You should be able to see the texture in all
    >of them, but I predict the red one will be fuzzy.

    Of course, you can shoot in RAW and under-expose the conversion, and
    roll the red into a compressed highlight curve. Many cameras boost red
    in their JPEGs (sony is notorious for this), blowing the red out when
    the RAW data really hasn't.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>

    , Jul 19, 2005
  19. Am Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:11:55 GMT schrieb Gary Eickmeier:

    > The Foveon solves that particular problem, and it's worth thinking about.

    Theoretically! Pracically the Foveon does a very bad color rendering. I was
    also interested in Foveon, but the results were much too bad. Maybe next
    generation fovoen works better.

    Regards,
    Andi

    Andreas Buchner, Jul 19, 2005