    How does one adjust the flash intensity on this camera?

    Thanks

    Louise

    louise, Apr 1, 2007

  2. louise

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 16:11:41 -0400, louise wrote:

    > According to the user's manual of the Sony H1, you can set
    > flash intensity. I can get the setting where it gives the
    > flash icon with a minus after it, but I cannot find how to
    > adjust the degree of minus or the degree of plus.
    >
    > How does one adjust the flash intensity on this camera?

    The instructions are surely in the manual. But if you couldn't
    find it in the manual it could be for one of two reasons. First, it
    might be an easily missed, obscure reference on a different page.
    Second, many cameras have two manuals, often a Basic printed manual
    and an Advanced manual which is sometimes only provided as a PDF
    file on an accompanying CD. Finding what you're looking for is
    usually much easier if you can use your computer to search a PDF
    version of the manual. If you have one, what you'd probably need to
    find is the section describing Flash Compensation. Search for the
    word "compensation". That should also find references to exposure
    compensation, which you're not interested in, but it'll make it
    slightly less likely that you'll miss what you're looking for. Some
    cameras adjust the flash compensation using buttons and wheels,
    others do it by changing a menu option. Have you examined all of
    the H1's menu options?

    ASAAR, Apr 1, 2007

  3. louise

    louise Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 16:11:41 -0400, louise wrote:
    >
    >> According to the user's manual of the Sony H1, you can set
    >> flash intensity. I can get the setting where it gives the
    >> flash icon with a minus after it, but I cannot find how to
    >> adjust the degree of minus or the degree of plus.
    >>
    >> How does one adjust the flash intensity on this camera?

    > The instructions are surely in the manual. But if you couldn't
    > find it in the manual it could be for one of two reasons. First, it
    > might be an easily missed, obscure reference on a different page.
    > Second, many cameras have two manuals, often a Basic printed manual
    > and an Advanced manual which is sometimes only provided as a PDF
    > file on an accompanying CD. Finding what you're looking for is
    > usually much easier if you can use your computer to search a PDF
    > version of the manual. If you have one, what you'd probably need to
    > find is the section describing Flash Compensation. Search for the
    > word "compensation". That should also find references to exposure
    > compensation, which you're not interested in, but it'll make it
    > slightly less likely that you'll miss what you're looking for. Some
    > cameras adjust the flash compensation using buttons and wheels,
    > others do it by changing a menu option. Have you examined all of
    > the H1's menu options?

    This camera was given to me by a friend with no manuals. I
    was able to get the PDF from the Sony site but I am
    permanently missing the Basic manual.

    I have searched the pdf - that's how I know it can be
    done.....but they left out "how" it can be done and I'm
    hoping that someone who has used the camera would be able to
    tell me.

    Louise

    louise, Apr 2, 2007
  4. louise

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:29:37 -0400, louise wrote:

    > This camera was given to me by a friend with no manuals. I
    > was able to get the PDF from the Sony site but I am
    > permanently missing the Basic manual.
    >
    > I have searched the pdf - that's how I know it can be
    > done.....but they left out "how" it can be done and I'm
    > hoping that someone who has used the camera would be able to
    > tell me.

    There isn't any Basic manual for the H1. It did come with a
    printed "Read This First" sheet. You shouldn't need it to adjust
    the flash compensation, but the RTF sheet can be downloaded and you
    probably should, since it shows how to change the H1's flash mode.

    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=DSCH1&region_id=1

    The manual describes (rather vaguely) how to set the flash
    compensation, but calls it "Flash Level". Note that near the top of
    page 37 it shows which modes are compatible with an adjusted Flash
    Level. This is also shown a little more clearly on the top of page
    41, which I'm guessing is what you've already seen. If the H1 is
    not in one of the permitted modes I assume that the menu will "gray
    out" the Flash Level and won't let you change it. The valid modes
    are P, S, A, M and (my interpretation) a few of the Scene Modes that
    don't disable the flash. These valid modes are shown on the (Flash
    Level) line at the top of page 41. This page shows what needs to be
    changed (the Flash Level icon that looks like a zigzag arrow next to
    a + over a - symbol), and you just use the H1's common method of
    adjusting values, which is described on page 36 (Using menu items).
    If I understand the manual, after pressing the Menu button, you
    scroll left or right using the control button until you get to the
    icon for Flash Level. Then you scroll up or down to change the
    level's value and press the Menu button again when you're finished.

    ASAAR, Apr 2, 2007
  5. louise

    louise Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:29:37 -0400, louise wrote:
    >
    >> This camera was given to me by a friend with no manuals. I
    >> was able to get the PDF from the Sony site but I am
    >> permanently missing the Basic manual.
    >>
    >> I have searched the pdf - that's how I know it can be
    >> done.....but they left out "how" it can be done and I'm
    >> hoping that someone who has used the camera would be able to
    >> tell me.

    > There isn't any Basic manual for the H1. It did come with a
    > printed "Read This First" sheet. You shouldn't need it to adjust
    > the flash compensation, but the RTF sheet can be downloaded and you
    > probably should, since it shows how to change the H1's flash mode.
    >

    > http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=DSCH1&region_id=1
    >
    > The manual describes (rather vaguely) how to set the flash
    > compensation, but calls it "Flash Level". Note that near the top of
    > page 37 it shows which modes are compatible with an adjusted Flash
    > Level. This is also shown a little more clearly on the top of page
    > 41, which I'm guessing is what you've already seen. If the H1 is
    > not in one of the permitted modes I assume that the menu will "gray
    > out" the Flash Level and won't let you change it. The valid modes
    > are P, S, A, M and (my interpretation) a few of the Scene Modes that
    > don't disable the flash. These valid modes are shown on the (Flash
    > Level) line at the top of page 41. This page shows what needs to be
    > changed (the Flash Level icon that looks like a zigzag arrow next to
    > a + over a - symbol), and you just use the H1's common method of
    > adjusting values, which is described on page 36 (Using menu items).
    > If I understand the manual, after pressing the Menu button, you
    > scroll left or right using the control button until you get to the
    > icon for Flash Level. Then you scroll up or down to change the
    > level's value and press the Menu button again when you're finished.

    Thank you so much for the link to the manual and your
    detailed explanation.

    I've been looking for that other manual on the sony sight
    and never found it. Now that I have all the manuals, I feel
    like I have a half a chance of using the camera successfully.

    Louise

    louise, Apr 2, 2007