Sony going down in flames

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rich, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    They're suffering economically, now this virusware they released
    hasn't helped. They deserve the pain;

    Security firms react to rootkit

    [CD]
    Following a week of extensive public criticism, Sony BMG's problems
    continued as class-action lawsuits and public letters were released in
    response to an anti-piracy program found on a number of its music CDs.

    XCP (Extended Copy Protection), developed as a means of copy
    protection for Sony by British software company First4Internet, drew
    attention from the software industry when Mark Russinovich, chief
    software architect of Winternals Software, released his findings that
    the software functioned as a rootkit, or hidden program, that could
    not be safely removed from a computer's operating system without
    disabling additional features.

    The program, which installs itself without the user's knowledge when
    certain Sony BMG music CDs are inserted, has been considered dangerous
    by many security experts. The application runs invisibly within the
    system and allows other programs to do the same provided the filename
    begins with a "$sys$" character string.

    "Apparently they're trying to hide the rest of the copy protection
    software from users who were trying to get rid of it," said Edward
    Felten, professor of computer science and public affairs at Princeton
    University. "The problem is that it hid more than that software and
    hid any files, programs and registry entries that started with the
    prefix. Malicious software could give itself that name and be
    invisible at that point."

    According to Russinovich's weblog of the rootkit discovery, deletion
    of the XCP program disabled access to the CD-ROM drive.

    "The entire experience was frustrating and irritating. Not only had
    Sony put software on my system that uses techniques commonly used by
    malware to mask its presence, the software is poorly written and
    provides no means for uninstall," wrote Russinovich. "Worse, most
    users that stumble across the cloaked files with a root kit removal
    program scan will cripple their computer if they attempt the obvious
    step of deleting the cloaked files."

    "The protection software simply acts to prevent unlimited copying and
    ripping from discs featuring this protection solution," Sony BMG said
    in a statement posted on its Web site last week. "It is otherwise
    inactive. The software does not collect any personal information nor
    is it designed to be intrusive to your computer system."

    Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer of F-Secure, a computer
    security firm, acknowledged the network functions. The software, which
    runs a background network function, contacts a pair of Sony servers
    and reports which audio track is being listened to as well as the
    computer's hardware identification information.

    Hypponen went on to explain how the program has been adapted into a
    viable means of creating viruses that would be impossible to locate
    using anti-viral programs. To date, four known instances of the
    B-Replicant virus family have emerged using the rootkit's technology
    as a means of hiding themselves within the system. These viruses,
    which operate over a network, can be used to remotely control an
    infected computer for malicious purposes such as attacking a Web site
    with large amounts of network traffic.

    Sony BMG has made a removal utility available for download but has
    come under fire for creating further vulnerability through its use.
    The utility installs software that may enable the Internet Explorer
    Web browser to be controlled by a remote host if the user visits
    malicious Web sites.

    "At the personal level, I think Sony is doing stunts like this because
    they're worried about the market share within mobile devices," said
    Hypponen. "They used to own the market with the Walkman, which was
    circumvented in just a few years. One of the functions of the program
    is that it prevents the music from being moved to an iPod. These files
    move just fine to a Walkman."

    "There's a lot of rhetoric against illegal copying and a lot of
    pressure on executives to do this, but in that fight, companies go too
    far. There is zero evidence that this program stops illegal copying,"
    said Jason Schultz, a staff attorney for the Electronic Frontier
    Foundation, a digital-rights advocacy group. "There's so much pressure
    just to do something that they roll out these technologies without
    thinking of the customer."

    Security firms such as Symantec and F-Secure have updated their
    clients to detect and safely eliminate the XCP program. Microsoft has
    also updated its anti-spyware program to remove the underlying code.

    To date, Sony BMG has recalled the more than 4 million XCP-enabled
    music CDs from store shelves and is planning a campaign to replace the
    2.1 million that have been sold.

    Sony BMG and First4Internet were not available for comment.

    Copyright 2005 by United Press International

    This news is brought to you by PhysOrg.com

    Rich, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Rich

    Nonymous Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > They're suffering economically, now this virusware they released
    > hasn't helped. They deserve the pain;

    Sony's a mega huge global conglomerate. A few million fat Americans
    bitching about some copy protection is going to take Sony down and will be a
    mere blip on the mothership in Japan.

    Nonymous, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Rich

    Mark Jones Guest

    Nonymous wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> They're suffering economically, now this virusware they released
    >> hasn't helped. They deserve the pain;

    > Sony's a mega huge global conglomerate. A few million fat Americans
    > bitching about some copy protection is going to take Sony down and
    > will be a mere blip on the mothership in Japan.

    They also sell hardware that isn't holding up as well as it should.
    Sony needs a management shake-up in order to root out the
    people who are making these dumb decisions.

    Mark Jones, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Rich

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Those "Fat Americans" you speak of are not complaining about copy
    protection, their complaining about stuff being installed on their system
    without their knowledge. How would you like it if someone came into your
    house and put child porn on your computer without you knowledge? How would
    your significant other like it?

    Sonys hardware has been shit for the past several years. The current big
    wigs are making some majorly stupid decisions and now they are installing
    spyware/malware with knowledge of the owner. Most likely they'll survive
    but no company is invinceable, ask the employees at Enron. Sony needs to
    put out a removal program for the malware, issue an apology, and start
    making hardware that works and is in step with their once excellent
    reputation. I use to buy nothing but sony but after failure of MANY devices
    I'll now buy anything but Sony!

    SBFan2000, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Rich

    Mark Jones Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Mark Jones:
    >> They also sell hardware that isn't holding up as well as it should.
    >> Sony needs a management shake-up in order to root out the
    >> people who are making these dumb decisions.

    > Yeah.. I paid top dollar for a Sony LCD monitor about a year ago.

    I am using a 20.1 inch 1600x1200 Sony LCD monitor right now,
    and it is working perfect.

    I can't say the same for my 5 disk Sony DCD player. It is starting
    to have trouble even with brand new DVDs. I am going to see if it
    just needs cleaning, but I am not getting my hopes up. It is only
    1.5 years old.

    My 4 year old Mitsubishi DVD player is working great, so that is
    what I am using right now. I don't plan to buy another Sony DVD player.

    Mark Jones, Nov 18, 2005
  6. Rich

    SBFan2000 Guest

    I had two Sony DVDs die in just over a year. (just out of warranty) Finally
    got smart and bought a Toshiba, then 3 months later a Samsung! 2 years
    later, both still running strong!

    SBFan2000, Nov 18, 2005
  7. Rich

    Mark Jones Guest

    Mark Jones wrote:
    > (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >> Per Mark Jones:
    >>> They also sell hardware that isn't holding up as well as it should.
    >>> Sony needs a management shake-up in order to root out the
    >>> people who are making these dumb decisions.

    >> Yeah.. I paid top dollar for a Sony LCD monitor about a year ago.

    > I am using a 20.1 inch 1600x1200 Sony LCD monitor right now,
    > and it is working perfect.
    >
    > I can't say the same for my 5 disk Sony DCD player. It is starting

    I meant DVD player.

    Mark Jones, Nov 18, 2005
  8. Rich

    Nonymous Guest

    "SBFan2000" <weareborgNOSP#> wrote in message
    > Those "Fat Americans" you speak of are not complaining about copy
    > protection, their complaining about stuff being installed on their system
    > without their knowledge. How would you like it if someone came into your
    > house and put child porn on your computer without you knowledge? How
    > would
    > your significant other like it?

    What's your point? Did I say they *shouldn't* whine? Did I say it wasn't
    bad? No, I did not. I'm just saying that all the hype in this country
    surrounding this one issue will have a very little if any negative effect on
    the Sony Intergalactic Empire. And for the record, I'm a fat American.

    Nonymous, Nov 18, 2005
  9. Rich

    Billy Joe Guest

    Nonymous wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> They're suffering economically, now this virusware they
    >> released
    >> hasn't helped. They deserve the pain;

    > Sony's a mega huge global conglomerate. A few million fat
    > Americans
    > bitching about some copy protection is going to take Sony down
    > and
    > will be a mere blip on the mothership in Japan.

    Hiri kiri; the only answer for Sony execs and their minions!
    They have lost face. Time to take action, honorably. And, it
    would be a nice tradition to start among the corp. execs of
    other nations ;-0)

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Nov 18, 2005
  10. Rich

    Justin Guest

    SBFan2000 wrote on [Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:22:50 -0500]:
    > I had two Sony DVDs die in just over a year. (just out of warranty) Finally
    > got smart and bought a Toshiba, then 3 months later a Samsung! 2 years
    > later, both still running strong!

    Was that a Toshiba made in China?

    Justin, Nov 18, 2005
  11. Rich <> wrote:

    > [CD]
    > Following a week of extensive public criticism, Sony BMG's problems
    > continued as class-action lawsuits and public letters were released in
    > response to an anti-piracy program found on a number of its music CDs.
    >
    > XCP (Extended Copy Protection), developed as a means of copy
    > protection for Sony by British software company First4Internet, drew

    It's needs to be pointed out that it's NOT JUST NEW CDs that
    have been hacked by Sony-BMG; the 2005 reissue of the 1957
    album Foggy Mountain Jamboree by Flatt & Scruggs clearly has
    a "copyright xcp" on the label. I double checked this at the
    local store, and have seen NO notice of this on the net.

    Walter Traprock, Nov 18, 2005
  12. Rich

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Japan

    SBFan2000, Nov 18, 2005
  13. Per Mark Jones:
    >They also sell hardware that isn't holding up as well as it should.
    >Sony needs a management shake-up in order to root out the
    >people who are making these dumb decisions.

    Yeah.. I paid top dollar for a Sony LCD monitor about a year ago.

    It's a decent monitor and all that, but I had to take the first one back because
    it was defective and the current one is no prize when it comes time to power
    up/down.

    Also, they've got this thing with MemorySticks in their devices. Just retired
    my Sony Clie - a great device otherwise - in favor of a Palm that uses SD
    instead and the sense of relief is palpable; having managed to avoid buying a
    Sony camera, my pix are on SD cards.... and now they're interchangeable in the
    Palm device.

    Personally, with all the other good brands out there, I think I'll just bypass
    Sony when thinking about new purchases of *anything*. Seems like a no-cost
    move to me unless they come out with something really extraordinary.... And that
    doesn't seem tb the direction in which they're headed.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 18, 2005
  14. Rich

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:39:23 -0500, "SBFan2000"
    <weareborgNOSP#> wrote:

    >How would you like it if someone came into your
    >house and put child porn on your computer without you knowledge? How would
    >your significant other like it?

    It all depends on who his significant other is.

    What if he is a member of NAMBLA?

    --

    BOYCOTT SONY!

    SONY IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR COMPUTER!

    HOMELAND SECURITY TOLD SONY TO CEASE AND DESIST!

    YOU DO THE SAME - BOYCOTT SONY!

    Bob, Nov 18, 2005
  15. Rich

    tony Guest

    the spyware secretly included may have only affected the small
    percentage of the 2.1 million US buyers of the infected discs who
    played them on their computers but the news of it has horrified many
    millions more worldwide. They are also gaining an icreasingly bad
    reputation for shoddy goods in both hifi and pc products accompanied
    by a very arrogant response to consumer complaints. This may be the
    worst aspect of the current story but also check out their attitude to
    VAIO motherboard faults.
    We are about to move into the HD generation of consumer goods and
    software alongside the merging of TV and PC products in the living
    room. The debate over HDVD or BlueRay has never really been about
    storage capacity or cost per disc, there was a similar one before the
    launch of DVD but the studios are too smart to have two rival formats.
    The real issue is copy protection and Sony seemed to be gaining ground
    with their system. Their system suits the studios but consumers will
    soon see that Blue Ray players will require an internet connection to
    phone home, and remember that Sony have just lied about what
    information is sent. Are they likely to buy products that report all
    the TV shows they watch, discs they play, websites they visit, emails
    they send etc ? Will pc owners want a blue ray burner for the same
    reasons ?
    Sony would appear to heading into the next big consumer spending spree
    with a reputation for expensive, shoddy and infected goods with an
    arrogant customer relations team, Microsoft gets away with it because
    it has no effective competition but that isn't true for Sony.
    They took on the studios over Betamax and later DAT, both allowing
    owners to make copies but it has changed a lot since it became a
    studio with a back catalogue. Perhaps they are ready to lose out as a
    manufacturer and make their money from owning the software and the
    media it is distributed on. This is fine for them but they got heavy
    too early with this one.

    tony, Nov 18, 2005
  16. Rich

    Goro Guest

    Walter Traprock wrote:
    > Rich <> wrote:
    >
    > > [CD]
    > > Following a week of extensive public criticism, Sony BMG's problems
    > > continued as class-action lawsuits and public letters were released in
    > > response to an anti-piracy program found on a number of its music CDs.
    > >
    > > XCP (Extended Copy Protection), developed as a means of copy
    > > protection for Sony by British software company First4Internet, drew

    > It's needs to be pointed out that it's NOT JUST NEW CDs that
    > have been hacked by Sony-BMG; the 2005 reissue of the 1957
    > album Foggy Mountain Jamboree by Flatt & Scruggs clearly has
    > a "copyright xcp" on the label. I double checked this at the
    > local store, and have seen NO notice of this on the net.

    Here's a list I found:
    http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html

    52 titles. NOT included teh SunComm titles.

    -goro-

    Goro, Nov 18, 2005
  17. Rich

    Goro Guest

    SBFan2000 wrote:
    > Those "Fat Americans" you speak of are not complaining about copy
    > protection, their complaining about stuff being installed on their system
    > without their knowledge. How would you like it if someone came into your
    > house and put child porn on your computer without you knowledge? How would
    > your significant other like it?
    >
    > Sonys hardware has been shit for the past several years. The current big
    > wigs are making some majorly stupid decisions and now they are installing
    > spyware/malware with knowledge of the owner. Most likely they'll survive
    > but no company is invinceable, ask the employees at Enron. Sony needs to
    > put out a removal program for the malware, issue an apology, and start
    > making hardware that works and is in step with their once excellent
    > reputation. I use to buy nothing but sony but after failure of MANY devices
    > I'll now buy anything but Sony!

    Well, to be fair, Sony HAS put out a removal program. Unfortunately,
    the removal program leaves larger security holes in it than the XCP
    itself, incluidng (apparently), the ability of any website to run
    unsigned code on your computer. The initial examples are of websites
    able to cause your computer to reboot.

    -goro-

    Goro, Nov 18, 2005
  18. "Goro" <> wrote:

    >Well, to be fair, Sony HAS put out a removal program. Unfortunately,
    >the removal program leaves larger security holes in it than the XCP
    >itself, incluidng (apparently), the ability of any website to run
    >unsigned code on your computer.

    I don't understand what's fair about that.

    Kimba W. Lion, Nov 18, 2005
  19. Rich

    Bob Guest

    On 18 Nov 2005 06:18:33 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >Well, to be fair, Sony HAS put out a removal program.

    The equivalent of that would be if Jack The Ripper took out
    hospitalization insurance for his victims.

    That way if one of his victims managed to survive his vicious attack,
    he could put them in the hospital and it wouldn't cost them anything.

    <jeez>

    Bob, Nov 18, 2005