    Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
    tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?

    Thanks..........Xavier
    xavier, Jan 26, 2004

  2. xavier

    Birk Binnard Guest

    I've had my F828 for 3 days and can answer some of your questions:

    1. The camera has a very sensitive CCD so it is much easier to take images
    that have PF than it is with other cameras. If you take typical scenery and
    or portraits this will not be a problem. But it is also to easy to take
    "pathological" pictures that have vasrying degrees of PF in them. For
    instance, I shot a and image if a nearly white house against a cloudless
    bright blue morning sky and the house had fringing at it's edges. I was
    able to remove all the fringing with Elements in about 10 minutes, and I had
    not done that sort of thing before.

    I agree with the 828 reviews on the Lumionous Landscape site.....the 828 is
    a great camera but it does require intelligent use.

    2. The camera does not do panoramas directly. Here is the solution I came
    up with (copied from a post I made at DPReview.com):
    =================================
    When shooting a multi-image panorama it is important to use the same
    exposure settings for each individual image comprising the panorama. The
    F828 has no direct way to do this since the AELock function is disabled when
    the shsutter is pressed to take the first picture. However, the following
    workaround solves the problem:
    1. Put the camera in P mode and pan across the scene noting the F-stop and
    shutter speed values. Pick an F-stop and shutter speed that is roughly in
    the middle of the range displayed. If there is a particular part of the
    panoram you want to emphasize, note the settings for that part.

    2. Set the camera to M mode. Since the F828 remembers M mode settings from
    the last time it will reset the F-stop and shutter speed to whatever they
    were the last time it was in M mode.

    3. Using the control wheel, set the F-stop and shutter speed to the values
    you determined in (1) above. The camera will maintain these values until you
    either change them yourself or switch out of M mode.

    4. While still in M mode take all the images in the panorama. Because of (3)
    all images will have the same exposure values.

    That's it.....happy panoramaing.
    =================================

    3. The tripod mount is along the lens centerline, but probably about 1 1/2"
    (4 cm) in front of the CCD sensor. I don't think this matters much for
    panoramas that are scenes far away from the camera location. I've not
    actually stitched any individual shots together yet, but I can[t wait to do
    so. The 8MP images have amazing amounts of detail in them.

    Hope this helps.
    ---------------
    Birk Binnard
    Peninsula Software
    http://www.birkbinnard.com
    Birk Binnard, Jan 26, 2004

  3. xavier

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "xavier" <> wrote in message
    > I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
    > heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
    > anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
    > with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
    >
    > Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
    > with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
    >
    > Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?
    >
    > Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
    > tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
    >
    > Thanks..........Xavier

    For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml

    I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.

    Jim Waggener, Jan 28, 2004
  4. xavier

    DJ Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:39:01 -0500, "Jim Waggener" <> wrote:

    >"xavier" <> wrote in message
    >> I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
    >> heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
    >> anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
    >> with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
    >>
    >> Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
    >> with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
    >>
    >> Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?
    >>
    >> Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
    >> tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
    >>
    >> Thanks..........Xavier

    >For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
    >http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml
    >
    >I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.

    Nicely taken photos. But the NOISE! And at ISO64 at that.

    DJ, Jan 28, 2004
  5. xavier

    Bill Guest

    Some nice photos, as far as composition and subject. Even exposures look
    good. BUT...... the reviewer states that the noise at ISO 64 is virtually
    non-existent. He really needs to look again! It's looks pretty noisy to me.

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 28, 2004
  6. xavier

    Gary Banuk Guest

    How does it perform in the macro mode? I heard that it had barrel
    distortion.

    Gary Banuk, Feb 20, 2004
  7. xavier

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Gary Banuk <> wrote:

    > How does it perform in the macro mode? I heard that it had barrel
    > distortion.
    >

    > On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 05:38:42 -0500, "Bill" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Some nice photos, as far as composition and subject. Even exposures look
    > >good. BUT...... the reviewer states that the noise at ISO 64 is virtually
    > >non-existent. He really needs to look again! It's looks pretty noisy to me.
    > >
    > >Bill
    > >
    > >"Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "xavier" <> wrote in message

    > >> For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
    > >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml
    > >>
    > >> I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.

    > >> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > >> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    Works fine. Use it for catalog shots all the time. No problem even with
    raw mode on a Mac using the new PS CS raw plug-in.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Feb 21, 2004
  8. xavier

    Gary Banuk Guest

    At what focal lengths do find that the macro works best? I would think
    that in the 50 - 100 range would be the best.

    Gary Banuk, Feb 21, 2004
  9. xavier

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Gary Banuk <> wrote:

    > At what focal lengths do find that the macro works best? I would think
    > that in the 50 - 100 range would be the best.
    >

    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:05:43 -0500, Bob Salomon
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Gary Banuk <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> How does it perform in the macro mode? I heard that it had barrel
    > >> distortion.

    > >Works fine. Use it for catalog shots all the time. No problem even with
    > >raw mode on a Mac using the new PS CS raw plug-in.

    I don't look at the focal length. I look at what fills the screen with
    the part/object/objects at the distance that I am shooting at and then
    shoot it. So far I have not had a problem with the 828 for this purpose.
    I also had no problems when I used the 717, the 5700 or the 950. It is a
    tool that does the job I need and does it well.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Feb 22, 2004
  10. xavier

    Rich Bail Guest

    No noise on the original. Please realize that the image you saw was about a
    100kb image making email transmission easier, while the original was 4.5 mb.
    Stretching the reduced size image will produce artifacts.

    The F828 gets the best macro at the 28 mm position. About 0.8 inches from
    the lens surface. I wish it was best at 100, but it is not.

    Rich Bail, Feb 22, 2004
  11. xavier

    Gary Banuk Guest

    That seems very close to the subject. The flower picture that you took
    was very good. Do you remember the distance and focal length?

    Also: what is thew max reproduction ratio for an object? Could it be
    1:2?

    Gary Banuk, Feb 22, 2004