    Is it standard for Sony (or any other camera manufacturer for that
    matter) to announce a new model so far in advance of its release date?

    Rick
    Rick, Sep 1, 2003

  2. "Rick" <> wrote in message
    news:biv2se$d4vp1$-berlin.de...
    > Is it standard for Sony (or any other camera manufacturer for that
    > matter) to announce a new model so far in advance of its release date?

    It's been quite common for a lot of the more interesting cameras, e.g. the
    Minolta D7 was announced around February but didn't appear on the shelves
    until August or so, the Pentax *ist D still isn't out, the Olympus 4/3
    camera is still vaporware (although apparently getting closer) years after
    its announcement, etc. etc.

    The Canon 300D (if it actually appears on the shelves by September 15th)
    will be a pleasant exception to the rule of long announcement to actual
    availability delay times.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Rick

    someone Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:42:26 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" <>
    posted:

    >"Rick" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it standard for Sony (or any other camera manufacturer for that
    >> matter) to announce a new model so far in advance of its release date?

    >It's been quite common for a lot of the more interesting cameras, e.g. the
    >Minolta D7 was announced around February but didn't appear on the shelves
    >until August or so, the Pentax *ist D still isn't out, the Olympus 4/3
    >camera is still vaporware (although apparently getting closer) years after
    >its announcement, etc. etc.
    >
    >The Canon 300D (if it actually appears on the shelves by September 15th)
    >will be a pleasant exception to the rule of long announcement to actual
    >availability delay times.
    >
    >David J. Littleboy
    >Tokyo, Japan

    given a choice, f828 or 300d + 50mm f1.4 or 10d + 50mm f1.8?
    someone, Sep 1, 2003
  4. "someone" <> wrote:

    > given a choice, f828 or 300d + 50mm f1.4 or 10d + 50mm f1.8?

    It's a hard choice.

    I currently don't have a low light camera, so 300d + 50mm f1.4 is
    attractive.

    The 10D is a lovely camera, and mirror lockup and better control over the AF
    system (vs. the 300D) are attractive. Of course, either the 10D or the 300D
    will be a lot better than the F828 for high ISO shots. A lot better.

    But unless Sony messes up somehow, there's a good chance that at ISO 100, A4
    prints from the Sony will, for some subjects (e.g. landscapes, group shots,
    images that depend on detail), look better with the F828 than with the 300D
    or 10D. Also, the Sony should be even more fun than the F707, which is a
    real pleasure to use.

    The 10D and 300D will have dust on the sensor and sensor cleaning nightmares
    for their users, and the 300D user interface may be seriously unfriendly.
    And neither has a spot meter, which will make life difficult for, for
    example, rock concert photographers.

    The Sony will be funky at any ISO over 100. Sigh.

    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg!

    I may just stick with the F707 and scanning MF until Canon puts the 1Ds
    sensor in and EOS 3 sort of body.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Rick

    Godfrey Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 4:04:38 -0700, someone wrote
    (in message <>):

    > given a choice, f828 or 300d + 50mm f1.4 or 10d + 50mm f1.8?

    I already have the Canon 50/1.4 and 100/2, so it comes down to 10D + 17-40/4L
    or Sony F828 as my next camera. The 300D body doesn't thrill me at all.

    Going with the Canon 10D, unless Sony has pulled of a miracle with the F828
    sensor, I would get superior high ISO performance and an optical viewfinder.

    On the other hand, with the Sony F828 I'll have infrared capabilities, live
    preview viewfinder and histogram display, greater pixel resolution, wider
    scope of focal lengths in one smaller package, and high rez movie clip
    capability.

    The optical and imaging system qualities of the Canon 10D system are well
    known now. The same things of the Sony F828 have yet to be discovered as
    production cameras are not yet available.

    The Sony will cost me whatever the camera costs, period, as I have all the
    F717 accessories to work with. The Canon will cost me the price of the body,
    plus spare batteries, plus power grip, plus 17-40mm lens, plus storage media
    and card reader, plus whatever filters I need to cover the 17-40mm lens. Call
    it $1000 vs $3000.

    I'm waiting to see the production F828 released before I make my decision.

    Godfrey
    Godfrey, Sep 1, 2003
  6. Rick

    DHB Guest

    Unless Sony drops the ball with their F828, I think they have a winner
    of a camera here that will fill the void between proconsumer & quality DSLR.
    As I see it this camera may severe many well for 2 or 3 years while the
    quality DSRL's come down in price.

    An "8MP" camera with a quality "28-200MM lens" & both MS/MS-PRO & "CF
    card" slots should appeal to many people who would love a quality DSLR but
    can't yet afford 1. Thus the F828 may fill the void for me & I won't need
    to invest a fortune on Sony's MS's because I can use my CF cards in it.

    There are many on this news group that have argued that 1 should not
    select a digital camera solely based on it's storage media but if you
    already have several large memory cards of a given type & the camera you
    select does not support them, you have to factor the memory into the cost of
    the camera especially if it's a much higher resolution camera & you intend
    to take a lot of pictures between card transfers.

    Hopefully the F828 turns out to be a good camera but that remains to be
    seen.

    This is just my humble opinion.

    DHB

    DHB, Sep 1, 2003
  7. I agree with you completely. One should not make a decision solely on storage
    media type, it's just another factor that can raise or lower cost. I happen
    to have a couple Gbytes worth of Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO media
    already and no CompactFlash, so buying into the Canon would require buying a
    good bit of storage media where buying the F828 would not. Of course, the
    F828's dual media compatibility serves as a plus anyway because I can expand
    my storage capacity to 2G or more in-camera taking advantage of both slots,
    and later I can re-use CF cards with other cameras that take them.

    Like you, I hope to see that the F828 turns out to be an excellent camera as
    it really does fulfill a huge percentage of my needs as a camera. What I need
    an interchangeable lens system camera for becomes a much narrower, more niche
    level part of my photography... I'm particularly interested to see how the
    new lens does with regard to rectilinear correction and how well the camera
    performs at ISO 400.

    The alternative system (10D plus lenses) is certainly an excellent performer
    with many good options, it's just 3x plus the cost.

    Happily, I'm in no hurry... ;-)

    Godfrey

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:05:13 -0700, DHB wrote
    (in message <d%K4b.17525$>):

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Sep 1, 2003
  8. Rick

    someone Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 6:53:39 -0700, Godfrey <> posted:

    >On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 4:04:38 -0700, someone wrote
    >(in message <>):
    >
    >> given a choice, f828 or 300d + 50mm f1.4 or 10d + 50mm f1.8?

    >I already have the Canon 50/1.4 and 100/2, so it comes down to 10D + 17-40/4L
    >or Sony F828 as my next camera. The 300D body doesn't thrill me at all.
    >
    >Going with the Canon 10D, unless Sony has pulled of a miracle with the F828
    >sensor, I would get superior high ISO performance and an optical viewfinder.
    >
    >On the other hand, with the Sony F828 I'll have infrared capabilities, live
    >preview viewfinder and histogram display, greater pixel resolution, wider
    >scope of focal lengths in one smaller package, and high rez movie clip
    >capability.
    >
    >The optical and imaging system qualities of the Canon 10D system are well
    >known now. The same things of the Sony F828 have yet to be discovered as
    >production cameras are not yet available.
    >
    >The Sony will cost me whatever the camera costs, period, as I have all the
    >F717 accessories to work with. The Canon will cost me the price of the body,
    >plus spare batteries, plus power grip, plus 17-40mm lens, plus storage media
    >and card reader, plus whatever filters I need to cover the 17-40mm lens. Call
    >it $1000 vs $3000.
    >
    >I'm waiting to see the production F828 released before I make my decision.
    >
    >Godfrey

    was the sony wide angle adaptor worth it?
    someone, Sep 2, 2003
  9. Rick

    JK Guest

    "David J. Littleboy" wrote:

    > "someone" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > given a choice, f828 or 300d + 50mm f1.4 or 10d + 50mm f1.8?

    > It's a hard choice.

    Not really. If you like to shoot in very low light, the 10D or 300D
    would be the right choice. Sample images from the 10D at 800 ISO
    looked remarkably good considering the high ISO. The ability to
    use an f1.4 lens also gives you more than a stop more flexibility
    than with the F828. My guess is that the 10D or 300D at 800 ISO
    might even have better image quality at 800 ISO than the F828
    at 200 ISO. So the Sony F828 at 200 ISO vs a 10D or 300D
    at 800 ISO and using a 50mm f1.4 lens, the Sony will be at
    a greater than three stop disadvantage in terms of flexibility.

    > I currently don't have a low light camera, so 300d + 50mm f1.4 is
    > attractive.

    Very.

    > The 10D is a lovely camera, and mirror lockup and better control over the AF
    > system (vs. the 300D) are attractive. Of course, either the 10D or the 300D
    > will be a lot better than the F828 for high ISO shots. A lot better.
    >
    > But unless Sony messes up somehow, there's a good chance that at ISO 100, A4
    > prints from the Sony will, for some subjects (e.g. landscapes, group shots,
    > images that depend on detail), look better with the F828 than with the 300D
    > or 10D.

    Not unless you are making very large prints, as many printers don't
    make use of much more than 300 dpi.

    > Also, the Sony should be even more fun than the F707, which is a
    > real pleasure to use.
    >
    > The 10D and 300D will have dust on the sensor and sensor cleaning nightmares
    > for their users, and the 300D user interface may be seriously unfriendly.
    > And neither has a spot meter, which will make life difficult for, for
    > example, rock concert photographers.
    >
    > The Sony will be funky at any ISO over 100. Sigh.
    >
    > Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg!

    Yep.

    JK, Sep 2, 2003
  10. I'm unclear as to what the context of this question is. I mentioned
    nothing of wide angle adapters or other lens add-ons.

    I don't own a Sony HGD0758 to use with my F717 so I can't report on how
    it performs directly, but results I've seen with it seem pretty good.

    godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Sep 2, 2003