    posted on web. There is as usual a lot of speculation some positive and some
    negative so what is the real deal on this camera anyone actualy have one
    yet?

    The Spectre, Dec 19, 2003

  2. "The Spectre" <> wrote in message
    news:VnLEb.29$...
    > OK, looking for ne camera and have been waiting patiently on the Sony f828
    > reviews to come in and so far there are have only been a few actual ones
    > posted on web. There is as usual a lot of speculation some positive and

    some
    > negative so what is the real deal on this camera anyone actualy have one
    > yet?

    FWIW (not much), the adds in this month's Japanese camera magazines (that
    hit the stands yesterday) say "kinjitsuhatsubai" which means "on sale any
    day now".

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 19, 2003

  3. The Spectre

    R. Radloff Guest

    Hi !

    "The Spectre" <> wrote:

    >OK, looking for ne camera and have been waiting patiently on the Sony f828
    >reviews to come in and so far there are have only been a few actual ones

    The first cameras have been delivered this week in Germany and Austria.

    The buyers don't seem to be very glad with their purchase. Several owners are
    disgusted as can be read in the german digital-camera-nwsgroupgroup.

    (blooming and so on)

    Hopefully the lot for USA will be better ...

    CUL

    Ray

    R. Radloff, Dec 20, 2003
  4. The Spectre

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "David J. Littleboy"

    >FWIW (not much), the adds in this month's Japanese camera magazines (that
    >hit the stands yesterday) say "kinjitsuhatsubai" which means "on sale any
    >day now".

    What's Japanese for "Vaporware?"

    Annika1980, Dec 20, 2003
  5. The Spectre

    bmoag Guest

    Cameras are dribbling out in the US. Sony is promising shipment from their
    web store before the end of December, most stores are quoting mid-January,
    at a lower price than Sony is quoting. Unfortunatley much of what you read
    in newsgroups, and this one is too often very typical, represent opinions
    that have a value somewhere between drivel and dog manure. I have little
    doubt that this is going to be a very good camera but like like all cameras
    will have some technical limits that will be meaningful for some users and
    meaningless for most. It has been entertaining to read postings on this
    newsgroup bashing this camera having never seen it, used it, or read
    legitimate third party technical analyses of production units.

    bmoag, Dec 20, 2003
  6. The Spectre

    Bob Niland Guest

    > The Spectre <> wrote:

    > ... so what is the real deal on this camera ...

    We did not get day-and-date publication of
    detailed technical reviews. Some reviewers
    have yet to receive their hand-tweaked test
    cameras. Read into this what you will.

    End user deliveries began about a week ago.
    What we know is largely coming from their
    early reports and tests, few of which are
    really useful.

    Sony has been dead silent - not so much as
    a press release that the Dark Angst is now
    shipping. They did have a press release that
    their android now has the trots.

    Canon did have a press release about the F828,
    we think :)

    What we've learned:

    * Front element moves during zoom (which is
    manual). This means that heavy accessory
    lenses are not a servo problem, but may
    still be a structural problem, or an optical
    problem on this new Z* lens.

    * High speed CF cards (e.g. CF-II) are excluded
    from VGA Fine/30fps video mode, even though
    the much slower MicroDrives are allowed to
    work. Sony still wants to sell Memory Stick,
    it would appear.

    * Software to decode RAW mode is included from
    Sony, even if no one else supplies it yet.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Dec 20, 2003
  7. The Spectre

    Seymore Guest

    Here are a few URL of 828 PICs.

    http://www.a-digital-eye.com/SonyF828.html

    http://www.a-digital-eye.com/F828Disney2.html

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_f828-review/gallery.shtml

    Seymore, Dec 20, 2003
  8. The Spectre

    steve Guest

    Is it just me or does there appear to be quite a lot of noise in the sky
    in this 828 picture?

    I don't mean to bag on the camera, I dont know how my 10d would have
    performed taking the exact same photo at the same time....

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_f828-review/DSC02545.JPG

    steve

    steve, Dec 20, 2003
  9. "steve" <> wrote:

    > Is it just me or does there appear to be quite a lot of noise in the sky
    > in this 828 picture?

    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_f828-review/DSC02545.JPG

    It doesn't look too bad to me. A tad soft*, maybe, but it sharpens up
    nicely, even with a threshold of zero. It takes a lot more sharpening than I
    would use to make the sky noise obnoxious on an A4 print. Sharpened (100%,
    r=0.6) and printed at 8x10.7, it looks quite good. The only problem is a
    lack of detail in the statue at the lower center.

    This is better than what I was expecting.

    *: Although it's clearly already been sharpened somewhat.

    > I don't mean to bag on the camera, I dont know how my 10d would have
    > performed taking the exact same photo at the same time....

    I'm sure it's a lot noisier than the 10D at ISO 100, but it's also more
    pixels. It's real nice to be able to print at 300 dpi; the detail has real
    snap and three-dimensionality to it.

    The F828 vs. 300D is a lot harder to call than I was expecting. (High ISO
    noise, slow AF, excessive DOF, no fast lenses remain as problems: it's an
    ISO 100 outdoor camera. But it's an 8x10 at 300 dpi outdoor camera.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 20, 2003
  10. The Spectre

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Is it just me or does there appear to be quite a lot of noise in the
    > sky in this 828 picture?

    Not to mention the horrible CA and the purple fringes.

    I didn't know Sony put a Foveon sensor in the 828... ;-)))))

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 21, 2003
  11. The Spectre

    Seymore, Dec 21, 2003
  12. The Spectre

    Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 00:51:21 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    >Cameras are dribbling out in the US. Sony is promising shipment from

    their
    >web store before the end of December, most stores are quoting

    mid-January,
    >at a lower price than Sony is quoting. Unfortunatley much of what you

    read
    >in newsgroups, and this one is too often very typical, represent

    opinions
    >that have a value somewhere between drivel and dog manure.

    Look at the samples that are popping up everyday. The only thing I
    see that is dog poop is the quality of these samples.

    I have little
    >doubt that this is going to be a very good camera but like like all

    cameras
    >will have some technical limits that will be meaningful for some

    users and
    >meaningless for most.

    So explain to use why we would pay $1000 for a camera when the
    previous models put out better quality phots?

    It has been entertaining to read postings on this
    >newsgroup bashing this camera having never seen it, used it, or read
    >legitimate third party technical analyses of production units.

    --
    Like a game of pick up stick played by fucking lunatics

    , Dec 22, 2003