    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
    But he did take some photographs once.
    Martin Francis, Dec 20, 2003

  2. "Martin Francis" <> wrote in
    message news:bs29np$ktp$...
    > ... and it's not looking good.
    >
    > We got our first unit into Jacobs Photographic in Birmingham, UK this
    > morning and we almost instantly took it out for a few shots. Noise was
    > incredible, and not in a good way- even at ISO 400 it was very, very
    > visible.

    We all knew that the noise would be a big problem on this model. Until
    semiconductor makers figure out a way to reduce leakage during active
    operation, these high megapixel sensors are going to be problematic. There
    are now techniques for reducing leaking during periods of inactivity, but
    these don't help you with a digital camera.
    Steven M. Scharf, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Martin Francis

    Kenny Guest

    "Martin Francis" <>
    wrote in message news:bs29np$ktp$...
    > ... and it's not looking good.
    >
    > needless to say this
    > camera did not rock my world as the hype might have suggested.

    Personally, I
    > shall not be dumping my 4 megapixel E10 in favour of this camera, and
    > wouldn't suggest anyone with an existing 4/5/6mp "prosumer" model do

    so
    > either.

    It is the appalling CA and PF that are the nails in the coffin of the
    828. Sony must have known it is that bad before they released it. Looks
    like they were after the Xmas loot and quality had to take a back seat.

    Kenny
    Kenny, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Martin Francis

    B. Flowers Guest

    Martin Francis wrote:

    Personally, I
    > shall not be dumping my 4 megapixel E10 in favour of this camera, and
    > wouldn't suggest anyone with an existing 4/5/6mp "prosumer" model do so
    > either.

    Strongly disagree; the shots I've seen, and played around with in Pshop
    a bit, are miles better than what I get out of my CP5000. It may not be
    SLR quality, but it sure kicks ass compared to my CP. Much more detail.
    I'll wait and see if there'll be something lighter and smaller with this
    sensor, but if not, then I'll sure get a 828.

    Bee

    West Bank - Palestine http://beeflowers.com/Palestine/mainpage.htm
    B. Flowers, Dec 21, 2003
  5. "Kenny" <> wrote in message

    > It is the appalling CA and PF that are the nails in the coffin of the
    > 828. Sony must have known it is that bad before they released it. Looks
    > like they were after the Xmas loot and quality had to take a back seat.

    It was released too late for Xmas. They should have quietly cancelled this
    camera rather than damage their reputation.
    Steven M. Scharf, Dec 21, 2003