Sony F---- up their NEX but good!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 22, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 22, 9:29 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On 6/21/2011 9:18 PM, RichA wrote:
    >
    > >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=38707416

    > I updated my NEX and haven't seen this issue. It seems to disappear when
    > the user recharges the battery, but I think what's happening is that
    > some users skipped the last step, which called for the user to remove
    > the batter to reset the camera. Once they remove it to charge, the
    > camera resets, and the issue is solved.
    >
    > Stay tuned.

    Be interesting to know exacly what happens to heat up the camera that
    way. Reminds me of Sony rechargeables I had that used to heat up to
    60 deg. C when charging.
    RichA, Jun 22, 2011

  3. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 07:19:07 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 22, 9:29 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    >> On 6/21/2011 9:18 PM, RichA wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=38707416

    >> I updated my NEX and haven't seen this issue. It seems to disappear when
    >> the user recharges the battery, but I think what's happening is that
    >> some users skipped the last step, which called for the user to remove
    >> the batter to reset the camera. Once they remove it to charge, the
    >> camera resets, and the issue is solved.
    >>
    >> Stay tuned.

    >Be interesting to know exacly what happens to heat up the camera that
    >way. Reminds me of Sony rechargeables I had that used to heat up to
    >60 deg. C when charging.

    Some time ago I read of research that had discovered a way to make
    rechargeable batteries (lithium ion, I think) that can charge, IIRC,
    about 100x faster. I wonder what heat might result from that. More?
    Less?

    (Search... search... search...)

    Here's an article on it. Not the one I originally read, but I think it
    covers it.
    http://www.gizmag.com/lithium-ion-battery-breakthrough-mit/11244/
    John A., Jun 23, 2011
  4. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Robert Coe, Jul 1, 2011
  5. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Jun 22, 9:29 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    : >
    :
    : Be interesting to know exacly what happens to heat up the camera that
    : way. Reminds me of Sony rechargeables I had that used to heat up to
    : 60 deg. C when charging.

    Perhaps the camera has to refill its heat sink after the upgrade, and doing so
    causes the battery to temporarily revert to burst mode. I think I'd worry
    about it only if I owned a NEX.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 1, 2011
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : wrote:
    :
    : >On Jun 22, 9:29 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    : >> On 6/21/2011 9:18 PM, RichA wrote:
    : >>
[...]

    Batteries come out of Radio Shack's latest AA charger too hot to touch. But
    it's faster than any other charger I've ever used.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 1, 2011
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/30/2011 10:21 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:18:37 -0700 (PDT), RichA<> wrote:
    > : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=38707416
    >
    > Did you actually read the whole thread, Rich? Those reporting the problem seem
    > to have concluded that it occurs only briefly after the firmware update and
    > then goes away.
    >
    > Bob

    Did you actually expect an accurate and factually based conclusion from him?

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 1, 2011
  8. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 09:36:08 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:
    : On 2011-06-30 22:36 , Robert Coe wrote:
    :
    : > Batteries come out of Radio Shack's latest AA charger too hot
    : > to touch. But it's faster than any other charger I've ever used.
    :
    : That will most likely short life the batteries.

    Why? I.e., what's the chemistry and/or physics behind the assertion?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 1, 2011
  9. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > <> wrote:
    : > : On 2011-06-30 22:36 , Robert Coe wrote:
    : > :
    : > :> Batteries come out of Radio Shack's latest AA charger too hot
    : > :> to touch. But it's faster than any other charger I've ever used.
    : > :
    : > : That will most likely short life the batteries.
    : >
    : > Why? I.e., what's the chemistry and/or physics behind the assertion?
    :
    : In the case of almost all batteries, heat is not good for both the
    : charge at hand and for battery life. You can search around for the reasons.
    :
    : In the case of Li-ion it increases the chance of thermal runaway leading
    : to rupture/explosion and fire.
    :
    : Ni-MH can go to a one time safety failure (pop the end) from
    : overcharging. As Ni-MH get quite warm in normal charging, I'd imagine
    : that excessively hot Ni-MH is an indication of possible imminent
    : hydrogen outgassing - in some cases with enough pressure to pop the
    : safety off if the internal safety fails.
    :
    : I've never had trouble with Ni-MH but they do get pretty warm - but not
    : too warm to handle.

    My charger is an "Enercell". A rather gabby salesman at our local Radio Shack
    assured me that it's not a RS house brand, but it's apparently what they sell
    (batteries and chargers) these days.

    I don't think it overcharges the batteries. If you leave them in the charger
    after the "charging" light turns green, they'll cool down. But if you take
    them out right away, you'll want to set them down in a hurry.

    Interestingly (and annoyingly), that charger won't charge my "Impact"
    batteries, which were a B&H house brand when I bought them (and may still be
    for all I know). I guess they can't handle the high charging rate. I have an
    older, slower Radio Shack brand charger that does charge them.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 2, 2011
  10. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > My charger is an "Enercell". A rather gabby salesman at our local Radio Shack
    > assured me that it's not a RS house brand, but it's apparently what they sell
    > (batteries and chargers) these days.
    >
    > I don't think it overcharges the batteries. If you leave them in the charger
    > after the "charging" light turns green, they'll cool down. But if you take
    > them out right away, you'll want to set them down in a hurry.
    >
    > Interestingly (and annoyingly), that charger won't charge my "Impact"
    > batteries, which were a B&H house brand when I bought them (and may still be
    > for all I know). I guess they can't handle the high charging rate. I have an
    > older, slower Radio Shack brand charger that does charge them.
    >
    > Bob

    Hmmm, "Impact" rang a bell with me. Hence, I searched my "Sent" e-mail folder,
    and discovered a couple of relevant in-town Wal-Mart purchases:

    On December 6, 2006, I bought an "Impact" 1GB SD card ($19.74 USD, clearance.)

    May 15, 2007, saw me obtain a 2-pack of "Impact" 1GB SD puppies, for $19.94.

    (Flash memory prices have surely fallen, since then.)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 9, 2011