SONY F-828 - Is this Shutter Lag?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ritchie Sobell, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. I was shooting at a friends wedding (not the main photographer!) with
    my new SONY F-828. (I'm somewhat new to digital photography).

    I was standing near the inside doorway to the chapel and was taking
    photos of the bride walking down the isle. When she started walking, I
    pressed the shutter button based on what I saw on the LCD (I took
    about 4 or 5 photos of the bride walking down the isle). When the
    images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
    instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button. For
    example, one instance was when I had only her face zoomed in the frame
    and I pressed the shutter button - but what was recorded was an image
    where half of her forehead was cutoff. Obviously she was walking
    towards the camera - but I'm positive when I clicked the shutter
    button, I had her face perfectly centered on the frame. There were
    many instances like this throughout the wedding. Is this something to
    do with shutter speed/lag? In other words, why did this happen? How
    can I solve this problem in the future?

    (I was shooting in Program Auto mode - where camera automatically
    adjusts the shutter speed and the aperture according to the brightness
    of the subject. Photos were not recorded in RAW format instead JPEG. I
    was not using the burst mode either).

    Thanks in Advance!
    Ritchie Sobell, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Ritchie Sobell

    Böwsér Guest

    The Sony 828 is better than average, and good for a ZLR, but it's no match
    for a DSLR when it comes to autofocus and shutter response. Yes, this sounds
    like shutter delay, and in many cases is unavoidable.

    Böwsér, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Ritchie Sobell

    Drifter Guest

    On 24 Oct 2004 15:12:47 -0700, (Ritchie Sobell)
    wrote:

    >I was shooting at a friends wedding (not the main photographer!) with
    >my new SONY F-828. (I'm somewhat new to digital photography).
    >
    >I was standing near the inside doorway to the chapel and was taking
    >photos of the bride walking down the isle. When she started walking, I
    >pressed the shutter button based on what I saw on the LCD (I took
    >about 4 or 5 photos of the bride walking down the isle). When the
    >images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
    >instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button. For
    >example, one instance was when I had only her face zoomed in the frame
    >and I pressed the shutter button - but what was recorded was an image
    >where half of her forehead was cutoff. Obviously she was walking
    >towards the camera - but I'm positive when I clicked the shutter
    >button, I had her face perfectly centered on the frame. There were
    >many instances like this throughout the wedding. Is this something to
    >do with shutter speed/lag? In other words, why did this happen? How
    >can I solve this problem in the future?
    >
    >(I was shooting in Program Auto mode - where camera automatically
    >adjusts the shutter speed and the aperture according to the brightness
    >of the subject. Photos were not recorded in RAW format instead JPEG. I
    >was not using the burst mode either).
    >
    >Thanks in Advance!

    Sounds like lag to me. Re-read your users manual, especially any
    sections about prefocusing and/or shutter lag. Also get to know the
    indicator (usually an LED that lights up) that tells you the camera is
    done focusing/setting exposure, etc. and is ready to actually snap the
    image.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Oct 25, 2004
  4. > When the
    >images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
    >instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button.

    thats what you get when you use digital P&S. even film P&S takes intant photos
    with no shutter lag.
    Developwebsites, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Ritchie Sobell

    dj_nme Guest

    Ritchie Sobell wrote:

    > I was shooting at a friends wedding (not the main photographer!) with
    > my new SONY F-828. (I'm somewhat new to digital photography).
    >
    > I was standing near the inside doorway to the chapel and was taking
    > photos of the bride walking down the isle. When she started walking, I
    > pressed the shutter button based on what I saw on the LCD (I took
    > about 4 or 5 photos of the bride walking down the isle). When the
    > images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
    > instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button. For
    > example, one instance was when I had only her face zoomed in the frame
    > and I pressed the shutter button - but what was recorded was an image
    > where half of her forehead was cutoff. Obviously she was walking
    > towards the camera - but I'm positive when I clicked the shutter
    > button, I had her face perfectly centered on the frame. There were
    > many instances like this throughout the wedding. Is this something to
    > do with shutter speed/lag? In other words, why did this happen? How
    > can I solve this problem in the future?
    >
    > (I was shooting in Program Auto mode - where camera automatically
    > adjusts the shutter speed and the aperture according to the brightness
    > of the subject. Photos were not recorded in RAW format instead JPEG. I
    > was not using the burst mode either).
    >
    > Thanks in Advance!

    I use a Dimage 7i and had the same problem with lag.
    What worked for me is set the camera to manual focus and then the lag is
    only as long as the shutter speed.
    Almost instantanious exposures, as quick as my (film) XG-2.
    dj_nme, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Ritchie Sobell

    bmoag Guest

    I use this camera.
    Shutter lag is bad in program mode and worsens depending on the speed of
    your CF or mem stick.
    As others have pointed out: the only way to minimize lag is to preset manual
    focus and use manual or aperture preferred or shutter preferred.
    bmoag, Oct 25, 2004
  7. Developwebsites wrote:
    >> When the
    >> images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
    >> instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button.

    > thats what you get when you use digital P&S. even film P&S takes
    > intant photos with no shutter lag.

    Even professsionals using expensive and heavy (D)SLRs do not take perfect
    photos every time. For actions shots, many use motor drive.....

    Ritchie:

    On many cameras, the way to use the camera for minimum delay is to press
    the shutter release half way, so that focus and exposure are set, and then
    depress fully at the desired taking moment. Preset focus may also be
    appropriate. You can reduce the delay to insignificant amounts this way.

    As with any new and complex equipment, it pays to become familiar with it,
    and to learn how to use the kit to its best, particularly before any
    important photography.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Ritchie Sobell

    mark_digital Guest

    "Ritchie Sobell" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I was shooting at a friends wedding (not the main photographer!) with
    > my new SONY F-828. (I'm somewhat new to digital photography).
    >
    > I was standing near the inside doorway to the chapel and was taking
    > photos of the bride walking down the isle. When she started walking, I
    > pressed the shutter button based on what I saw on the LCD (I took
    > about 4 or 5 photos of the bride walking down the isle). When the
    > images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
    > instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button. For
    > example, one instance was when I had only her face zoomed in the frame
    > and I pressed the shutter button - but what was recorded was an image
    > where half of her forehead was cutoff. Obviously she was walking
    > towards the camera - but I'm positive when I clicked the shutter
    > button, I had her face perfectly centered on the frame. There were
    > many instances like this throughout the wedding. Is this something to
    > do with shutter speed/lag? In other words, why did this happen? How
    > can I solve this problem in the future?
    >
    > (I was shooting in Program Auto mode - where camera automatically
    > adjusts the shutter speed and the aperture according to the brightness
    > of the subject. Photos were not recorded in RAW format instead JPEG. I
    > was not using the burst mode either).
    >
    > Thanks in Advance!

    Your definition for Program Auto mode was taken directly from the manual.
    OK, now read AF range finer frame and AF mode pages 65 through 67.
    Also read page 35 on Hologram AF.
    As you say earlier, this camera is new to you.

    mark_
    mark_digital, Oct 25, 2004
  9. Ritchie Sobell

    Andy Turner Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:47:03 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    >I use this camera.
    >Shutter lag is bad in program mode and worsens depending on the speed of
    >your CF or mem stick.

    I'm shocked if this is the case. Digital cameras have internal memory
    to store the image as it is taken and then write the image to the CF
    card afterwards. The speed of the card therefore should not affect the
    shutter lag, but will affect the time it takes before the camera is
    ready to take another shot.

    andyt
    Andy Turner, Oct 25, 2004
  10. Ritchie Sobell

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, XXX-
    says...

    > "Ritchie Sobell" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > I was shooting at a friends wedding (not the main photographer!) with
    > > my new SONY F-828. (I'm somewhat new to digital photography).
    > >
    > > I was standing near the inside doorway to the chapel and was taking
    > > photos of the bride walking down the isle. When she started walking, I
    > > pressed the shutter button based on what I saw on the LCD (I took
    > > about 4 or 5 photos of the bride walking down the isle). When the
    > > images were recorded, I noticed that they were not the exact same
    > > instances that I intended when I clicked the shutter button. For
    > > example, one instance was when I had only her face zoomed in the frame
    > > and I pressed the shutter button - but what was recorded was an image
    > > where half of her forehead was cutoff. Obviously she was walking
    > > towards the camera - but I'm positive when I clicked the shutter
    > > button, I had her face perfectly centered on the frame. There were
    > > many instances like this throughout the wedding. Is this something to
    > > do with shutter speed/lag? In other words, why did this happen? How
    > > can I solve this problem in the future?
    > >
    > > (I was shooting in Program Auto mode - where camera automatically
    > > adjusts the shutter speed and the aperture according to the brightness
    > > of the subject. Photos were not recorded in RAW format instead JPEG. I
    > > was not using the burst mode either).
    > >
    > > Thanks in Advance!

    > Your definition for Program Auto mode was taken directly from the manual.
    > OK, now read AF range finer frame and AF mode pages 65 through 67.
    > Also read page 35 on Hologram AF.
    > As you say earlier, this camera is new to you.
    >
    > mark_

    CAF (Constant Auto Focus) mode probably was not engaged.. I
    find the lag is almost ZERO if I use CAF mode and press the
    button half way down.

    HOWEVER: If you are shooting under low light conditions
    without a flash, you will have LLLLOOOOONNNNGGGG shutter
    lag with the 828.

    Any lighting condition which allows the low light focusing
    laser to engage will cause shutter lag. Best fix is use a
    flash (not the one built into the camera) and shoot in
    manual mode witth the laser focusing aid turned OFF (use it
    outdoors at night or around the house but NOT at a
    wedding). After one or two test shots for the lighting
    conditions you should have the proper settings for
    conditions. The last shots I took at a wedding were done at
    f3 shutter speed 160. (with a cheap piece of crap Quantaray
    flash set at 3/4 power and manual flash. All came out quite
    well without blowing out the wedding gown. Later at the
    reception I turned the flash all the way up too full power
    and aimed it straight up at the white overhead, and fiddled
    with the shutter speed and ended up at f4 with a speed of
    200

    Another Caveat:
    If you use Sonys' expensive ($200 (US))auto-flash unit, you
    get a trade off--- you get TTL flash exposure, but the TTL
    test flash adds more lag than it should.

    Just buy the biggest manual flash you can find (and afford)
    that works with the 828 and learn to use it (the camera)in
    Manual Mode. You will be pleased and surprised at what you
    can do.

    I dont claim the 828 is the best of the P&S cameras, but
    given the lens system it has, I prefer it over MOST others.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Oct 25, 2004