    the tray closed, there is a small, quick clicking or ticking noise!

    Anyone have any ideas what I can try next, or what the clicking could be?

    Thanks.

    Gareth W Williams, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Gareth W Williams

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Time to replace it. You can get a much better player for less than $60.

    "Gareth W Williams" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me please?????
    >
    > I have the above player, and a short time ago it started showing C:13:00

    on
    > the screen while playing a DVD, this was OK after restarting the unit.

    About
    > a week later while 3/4 of the way through a DVD it showed it again, but

    then
    > froze. Not even switching it off and on again worked to play a DVD again.
    > Now I can't play anything, I just get Insert Disk.
    >
    > I have tried re-calibrating the thing - but I get Error after a while.
    >
    > I have now just (on the advice of a friend!!!) replaced the Laser Pickup

    and

    Pug Fugley, Oct 19, 2004

  3. >I have the above player, and a short time ago it started showing C:13:00 on
    >the screen while playing a DVD, this was OK after restarting the unit.

    >I have tried re-calibrating the thing - but I get Error after a while.

    >I have now just (on the advice of a friend!!!) replaced the Laser Pickup and
    >and I still get an error while calibrating.

    On some versions of this player, there is a picofuse that blows which is
    supposed to protect the servo DSP for the Precision Drive system. Other
    versions of the same series of players don't have picofuses, but the basic
    problem and fix are still the same. Usually, in this case, when the picofuse
    blows, the pickup gets shorted out.

    You can replace this fuse or bypass it after replacing the pickup, but the
    problem will only happen again. There have been fixes involving altering the
    circuit with different resistors, but it's actually a firmware bug.

    The fix is to replace the pickup, if necessary, and then update the player
    firmware to the latest version, such as version 1.815.

    I was given a couple of DVP-S360 players which have the same problem. The
    picofuses blew and the pickups were shorted. Firmware versions for those
    players were both 1.345 (if memory serves me).

    I have a DVP-S360 that still works perfect, but it's firmware version is 1.815.

    Unfortunately, it is more economical to replace the player. Sorry to hear that
    you sunk money into it for replacing the pickup.

    The newest Sony players, like the DVP-NS575, are actually decent with the
    better Precision Drive 3 mechanism, very fast menu navigation and seamless
    layer changing, and (finally, for a Sony player) an effective elimination of
    their chroma upsampling problems.

    In addition to Sony, the only others I'd recommend are Pioneer and JVC. Or, go
    with the high end Denon DVD-5900 if you want the very best DVD player on the
    market. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Hi LASERandDVDfan,

    Thanks for the reply.

    I will be buying a new one, but as I have bought the laser pickup I would
    like to have a go at fixing this one also!

    Where can I get a firmware update, and how do I apply it?

    What are the exact steps to replace the picofuse, and where is it?

    Thanks for any help.

    Gareth

    Gareth W Williams, Oct 19, 2004
  5. "Gareth W Williams" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me please?????
    >
    > I have the above player, and a short time ago it started showing C:13:00

    on
    > the screen while playing a DVD, this was OK after restarting the unit.

    About
    > a week later while 3/4 of the way through a DVD it showed it again, but

    then
    > froze. Not even switching it off and on again worked to play a DVD again.
    > Now I can't play anything, I just get Insert Disk.
    >
    > I have tried re-calibrating the thing - but I get Error after a while.
    >
    > I have now just (on the advice of a friend!!!) replaced the Laser Pickup

    and
    > and I still get an error while calibrating. Also, when a DVD is put in and
    > the tray closed, there is a small, quick clicking or ticking noise!
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas what I can try next, or what the clicking could be?

    The clue is in the subject line, where it says "Sony".

    One of the plastic lugs on the focus spring has broken. It is a well known
    problem with all Sony optical readers and writers. Everybody else uses a
    proper spring wothout problems.

    The problem can sometimes be temporarily overcome (i.e. until the other lug
    breaks) by increasing the focus bias, but you need to find out how to get
    into the engineering menu to change this. With the price of DVD players
    these days, it's hardly worth the effort.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Oct 19, 2004
  6. "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message

    <<The newest Sony players, like the DVP-NS575, are actually decent with
    the better Precision Drive 3 mechanism, very fast menu navigation and
    seamless layer changing, and (finally, for a Sony player) an effective
    elimination of their chroma upsampling problems.>>

    This correction of chroma upsampling problems is of great interest to
    me. Did you discover this yourself, or can you point me to a website
    that illustrates the improvement? I just put _North By Northwest_ in the
    Sony DVP-NS501P and the scenes which best illustrate the chroma
    upsampling problems show great improvement:

    At 4:12, the red color from the taxi seat no longer shimmers in the
    white glare line at the top of the seat.

    At 1:19:00, Eve Kendal's test-pattern dress no longer has that
    "corduroy" look and the violet edges which formerly made shimmering
    haloes around the edges of the roses, are gone. None of the red colors
    shimmers or bleeds as they do on all other players that I have seen.

    Thanks for reporting this. It just surprises me that Sony would finally
    correct its notorious chroma upsampling problems in an $80 player.

    I recently bought a Sony DVP-NS501P from Costco for $79.99. This appears
    to be a re-numbered DVP-NS575P, since the PDF manual that I downloaded
    from Sony matches the paper manual that came with the player. (Those PDF
    manuals are great; you just enter a search word and get to your topic
    quickly.) This is my main player which is used to play all DVD rentals
    and most of my personal collection. When this player craps out, I will
    just buy another one. (Costco will probably do an exchange or refund on
    this Sony for up to a year.)

    I am very satisfied with this player, but it does have a couple of
    strange quirks.

    My first NS501 started to occasionally eject discs without placing them
    in the dish part of the tray. (The discs would straddle the tray, half
    in and half out. The exchange player hasn't done this after 2 months.

    In chapter 8 of my first copy of _The Pianist_, the Sony NS501 started
    to skip and digitally-block, until it finally locked up, after 30
    seconds. I put this same disk in my Panasonic S35S and Sony 550 and it
    played perfectly. After obtaining a replacement disk from Costco (I
    think that the new disc came from a different pressing, because the
    outside cellophane wrapper had different size type) and the NS501 now
    plays the same passage perfectly.

    There appears to be a time base error (where the video and counter do
    not match) in the first 5 seconds of _Foreign Correspondent_. On the
    Sony NS501, the counter hesitates and the movie skips ahead 2 seconds,
    with a noticeable gap in the picture and sound. (At first, I thought
    that this was a problem with the original source material.) However, the
    counter error is present on my Panasonic S35S and Sony 550 (the counter
    hangs for 2 seconds and then corrects itself) but there is no
    interruption of the picture or sound.

    Overall, I think that it will be difficult to find an $80 DVD player
    that is as good as the Sony DVP-NS501 (DVP-NS575).

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Hi Ian,

    What exactly am I looking for? Are you talking about the three rubber tube
    things that slot into the clasps on the edge of the laser pickup unit?

    If not, where can I find them, and exactly how do I solve the problem?

    Thanks for your help.

    Gareth

    "Electric Fan Club" <> wrote in
    message news:41750260$...

    Gareth W Williams, Oct 19, 2004
  8. >This correction of chroma upsampling problems is of great interest to
    >me. Did you discover this yourself, or can you point me to a website
    >that illustrates the improvement?

    Re-read it and it's not totally solved. Oops.

    Checked out on Hometheaterhifi.com.

    Apologies for the error. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 19, 2004
  9. >The clue is in the subject line, where it says "Sony".

    >One of the plastic lugs on the focus spring has broken. It is a well known
    >problem with all Sony optical readers and writers

    Except the original poster has indicated that the optical pickup was replaced
    with a new one. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 19, 2004
  10. >What exactly am I looking for? Are you talking about the three rubber tube
    >things that slot into the clasps on the edge of the laser pickup unit?

    The lug is a support part for the objective lens and is an internal part of the
    optical pickup assembly.

    However, I've not even heard of the problem being widespread, nor seen it as
    often as suggested.

    If this is a common problem, then the problem would be manifested in anything
    that uses a Sony pickup. A lot of brands have used Sony pickups, both low end
    and high end. From "Sing-A-Long" karaoke machines to Onkyo CD players. -
    Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 19, 2004
  11. "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >What exactly am I looking for? Are you talking about the three rubber

    tube
    > >things that slot into the clasps on the edge of the laser pickup unit?

    > The lug is a support part for the objective lens and is an internal part

    of the
    > optical pickup assembly.
    >
    > However, I've not even heard of the problem being widespread, nor seen it

    as
    > often as suggested.
    >
    > If this is a common problem, then the problem would be manifested in

    anything
    > that uses a Sony pickup. A lot of brands have used Sony pickups, both low

    end
    > and high end. From "Sing-A-Long" karaoke machines to Onkyo CD players. -
    > Reinhart.

    The problem is common, but how long it takes to appear varies enormously.
    Sony and Panasonic[1] between them have contributed to some people's
    impression the DVD players are inherently unreliable. Both companies are
    currently the subject of class action lawsuits in the US as neither has made
    any attempt to remove the defects in new equipment.

    [1] With Panasonic, there is a problem with their drive motors.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Oct 20, 2004
  12. >[1] With Panasonic, there is a problem with their drive motors.

    In the case of Panasonic, this is probably because they switched from their
    excellent brushless configurations over to inferior Mabuchi motors. Couple
    this with the fact that quite a few of their players use full-sized disc
    stabilizer platters which adds more mass that the motor has to deal with along
    with the higher average rotational speeds with DVD when compared to CD and
    you've got a potential for failure.

    Panasonic finally had it right when it made their 4th generation models
    (DVD-RV30), fixing the optical pickup problems they had with their previous
    models of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations. But they screwed it all up with
    the release of the generation after that when they stopped using their
    brushless spindle motors.

    Had they continued to use brushless motors along with their improved pickups, I
    would have kept my recommendation for Panasonic. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 20, 2004