    Appreciate any advice.

    Khan
    , Jun 6, 2005

  2. Hugh Candlin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
    > cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
    > it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
    > "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

    DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.

    Some, however, as you have found out,
    can and do become disfunctional much sooner.

    Much sooner.

    The only thing that you can do
    is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.
    Hugh Candlin, Jun 6, 2005

  3. Poof Guest

    In article
    <8l_oe.290928$>,
    "Hugh Candlin" <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
    > > cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
    > > it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
    > > "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

    > DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
    >
    > Some, however, as you have found out,
    > can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
    >
    > Much sooner.
    >
    > The only thing that you can do
    > is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

    I've tried several discs on my friend's DVD player DVP-NS715P that
    worked fine my Philips DVD 953. It could be the player.
    Poof, Jun 6, 2005
  4. Black Locust Guest

    In article
    <8l_oe.290928$>,
    "Hugh Candlin" <> wrote:

    > DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
    >
    > Some, however, as you have found out,
    > can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
    >
    > Much sooner.
    >
    > The only thing that you can do
    > is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

    Please do not post false information like this on the newsgroup. Factory
    pressed DVDs have an estimated 100 year lifespan. If you had any idea
    what you were talking about, you would know that the OPs problem is a
    bad laser assembly. There's nothing wrong with the discs themselves.
    Black Locust, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Large Farva Guest

    "Hugh Candlin" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
    >> cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
    >> it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
    >> "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

    > DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
    >
    > Some, however, as you have found out,
    > can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
    >
    > Much sooner.
    >
    > The only thing that you can do
    > is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

    You sir, are a clueless twit.
    Large Farva, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Hugh Candlin Guest

    "Black Locust" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <8l_oe.290928$>,
    > "Hugh Candlin" <> wrote:
    >
    > > DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
    > >
    > > Some, however, as you have found out,
    > > can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
    > >
    > > Much sooner.
    > >
    > > The only thing that you can do
    > > is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

    > Please do not post false information like this on the newsgroup.

    It isn't false.

    > Factory pressed DVDs have an estimated 100 year lifespan.

    Which means nothing, and ignores the millions of instances
    where people have already inserted a relatively new DVD
    in a player and got nothing but "No disc".

    > If you had any idea
    > what you were talking about, you would know that the OPs problem is a
    > bad laser assembly.

    In this case, that is a possibility.

    > There's nothing wrong with the discs themselves.

    We agree to disagree.
    Hugh Candlin, Jun 7, 2005
  7. Hugh Candlin Guest

    "Large Farva" <> wrote in message

    > "Hugh Candlin" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
    > >> cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
    > >> it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
    > >> "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

    > > DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.
    > >
    > > Some, however, as you have found out,
    > > can and do become disfunctional much sooner.
    > >
    > > Much sooner.
    > >
    > > The only thing that you can do
    > > is take them back and demand a refund or exchange.

    > You sir, are a clueless twit.

    Time will tell who is right and who isn't.

    Until then, everyone is free to state their opinion.

    What is unfortunate is that some people
    lack the mental capacity to accept that
    without demonstrating a barroom mentality.
    Hugh Candlin, Jun 7, 2005
  8. In article <8l_oe.290928$>,
    Hugh Candlin <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I recently purchased this Sony DVD-Player DVP-NS575P. I noticed that it
    >> cannot play some of my DVDs, while others (in both PAL and NTSC format)
    >> it plays very well. On those DVDs it can't play, I get a message
    >> "cannot play disc". Can anyone advise?

    >DVD discs have a maximum life of 20 years.

    OOOHH! I have video tapes that I made in 1977 and are still
    playable. Does that mean I should transfer the DVDs to tape
    to make sure they last?

    ))))
    ))))
    :::: ))))
    :::: ))))
    ---- ))))
    ---- ))))
    :::: ))))
    :::: ))))
    ))))
    ))))

    >Some, however, as you have found out,
    >can and do become disfunctional much sooner.

    >Much sooner.

    And we'll still have to wait a few years to test your 20 year
    theory.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jun 19, 2005