    do to salvage it.

    Thanks
    NBK

    NBK, Oct 20, 2004

  2. NBK

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Cheaper to buy a new one, and next time avoid Sony.

    Pug Fugley, Oct 20, 2004

  3. >My Sony DVP-NS315 will not play any DVD's. It states "Cannot Play" on
    >the Sony's screen. I have tried DVD-R's and DVD videos to no avail.

    The NS315 was a bit of a problematic model.

    Since that DVD player was the lowest end that Sony had to offer, it's not worth
    trying to get it repaired.

    Believe it or not, Sony currently makes decent DVD players. Their lowest end
    offering is the DVP-NS575P. This model is available in either black or silver
    and is a decent performer with a revised disc drive. However, there are other
    choices if you wish.

    Recommended: Sony, Pioneer, and JVC.

    If you're looking for the very best DVD player: Denon DVD-5900. Otherwise,
    avoid most other models of Denon DVD players. Quite a few lower end Denon
    models use utterly inferior Funai platforms.

    Various upscale brands of DVD players typically employ OEM platforms for their
    models. For example, Yamaha players have been made by Matsushita Electric,
    which is a parent company of Panasonic.

    VCR/DVD combo units are NOT RECOMMENDED, regardless of brand.

    No-name brands of DVD players (Lasonic, Apex, Mintek, Norcent, Cyberhome, jWin,
    Curtis-Mathes, Venturer, etc.) are NOT RECOMMENDED.

    For brand names, newest model players from the following are NOT RECOMMENDED.

    Panasonic (spindle motor problems)
    Toshiba (see LG)
    Sanyo/Fisher (general QA problems)
    GE/RCA (general QA problems)
    Philips (general QA problems)
    Samsung (optics problems)
    Funai (general QA problems)
    Mitsubishi (see Funai)
    Symphonic (see Funai)
    Sylvania (see Funai)
    Hitachi (see Funai)
    Emerson (see Funai)
    Sharp (see Funai)
    LG (general QA problems)
    Zenith (see LG)
    Aiwa (see LG)
    Magnavox (see Funai)

    - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 20, 2004
  4. "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >My Sony DVP-NS315 will not play any DVD's. It states "Cannot Play" on
    > >the Sony's screen. I have tried DVD-R's and DVD videos to no avail.

    > The NS315 was a bit of a problematic model.
    >
    > Since that DVD player was the lowest end that Sony had to offer, it's not

    worth
    > trying to get it repaired.
    >
    > Believe it or not, Sony currently makes decent DVD players. Their lowest

    end
    > offering is the DVP-NS575P. This model is available in either black or

    silver
    > and is a decent performer with a revised disc drive. However, there are

    other
    > choices if you wish.

    They are still using the plastic lug focus spring that breaks rendering the
    player useless. As reported elsewhere, there is a class action law suit in
    hand in the US.

    Plus Sony still have recuring problems with poor soldered joints.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Oct 20, 2004
  5. NBK

    NBK Guest

    Electric Fan Club wrote:
    > "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>My Sony DVP-NS315 will not play any DVD's. It states "Cannot Play" on
    >>>the Sony's screen. I have tried DVD-R's and DVD videos to no avail.

    >>The NS315 was a bit of a problematic model.
    >>
    >>Since that DVD player was the lowest end that Sony had to offer, it's not

    > worth
    >
    >>trying to get it repaired.
    >>
    >>Believe it or not, Sony currently makes decent DVD players. Their lowest

    > end
    >
    >>offering is the DVP-NS575P. This model is available in either black or

    > silver
    >
    >>and is a decent performer with a revised disc drive. However, there are

    > other
    >
    >>choices if you wish.
    >>

    > They are still using the plastic lug focus spring that breaks rendering the
    > player useless. As reported elsewhere, there is a class action law suit in
    > hand in the US.
    >
    > Plus Sony still have recuring problems with poor soldered joints.
    >
    > Ian.

    Thanks for your advice,
    I bought a Sony DVP-NS575P DVD Player...
    NBK

    NBK, Oct 20, 2004
  6. NBK

    Biz Guest

    "NBK" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My Sony DVP-NS315 will not play any DVD's. It states "Cannot Play" on
    > the Sony's screen. I have tried DVD-R's and DVD videos to no avail. Do
    > i need to throw it out and buy another. There has to be something i can
    > do to salvage it.
    >
    > Thanks
    > NBK

    You can pay more money to fix it than to replace it with a new player, but
    that would be sheer stupidity.

    Biz, Oct 20, 2004
  7. NBK

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <F3jdd.28681$>,
    NBK <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My Sony DVP-NS315 will not play any DVD's. It states "Cannot Play" on
    > the Sony's screen. I have tried DVD-R's and DVD videos to no avail. Do
    > i need to throw it out and buy another. There has to be something i can
    > do to salvage it.

    Looks like it's time for Reinhart to remove Sony from his
    recommendations list.

    > Thanks
    > NBK

    and neither do we." - George Dubya Bush

    Vote Kerry 2004

    Black Locust, Oct 21, 2004
  8. >Looks like it's time for Reinhart to remove Sony from his
    >recommendations list.

    The 315 is a long discontinued model and Sony has made some improvements in
    their transport designs with their latest offerings since replacing the
    PrecisionDrive 2 with PrecisionDrive 3 in their current generation.

    Previous PD designs moved the whole traverse to account for disc imperfections.
    The new PD design does this within the optical pickup instead. Obviously, the
    pickups used in Sony players now are completely redesigned so I must wait until
    more data is made available.

    In the meantime with other factors considered, like overall video quality and
    responsiveness (one of the greatest things about the DVP-NS575P is that it's
    one of the few players out their that virtually has no layer change pause), the
    Sonys of the current generation are recommended.

    As for Panasonic, they haven't changed much in their transport design yet,
    which was used from the 5th generation and up. Had they just kept on using
    brushless motors instead of inferior brush motors for the spindle, they would
    have been recommended over Sony.

    This was a pity because it seemed that Panasonic solved their pickup problems
    with their 4th generation models, like the fantastic DVD-RV30. Yet, they shot
    themselves in the foot again by shortchanging the spindle motor component this
    time.

    Now, a few players that are very reliable have also used brush motors, like
    quite a few Pioneer models and the older Toshiba SD-2109, SD-1200, and SD-1600,
    but it seems Panasonic short changed even on which brush motor they used.

    To make it worse on Panasonic, they are shortchanging the video sections of
    their current players.

    You may have to cut-n-paste this hyperlink to access this webpage.

    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articl
    es=all&type=&manufacturer=6&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0

    This link includes both recent and recently discontinued models. The current
    model from Panasonic that's listed is the DVD-S27. Panasonic has really
    slipped up on this one after the DVD-A, DVD-RV, DVD-RP, and DVD-H models in
    terms of their video performance.

    Although the DVD-S27S is the lowest end player that Panasonic offers, it seems
    that many manufacturers are either going with a rebadged OEM or, in the case of
    Panasonic, using one basic platform they designed themselves for all of their
    models, only adding and/or replacing some things with a few of their higher end
    offerings. A few top-of-the-line models may be exceptions to this, though.

    Their DVD recorder is also a lackluster performer as a player, but I don't
    think there is even one DVD recorder from any manufacturer that excels as a
    player.
    Anyways, Panasonic just doesn't make them like they used to, which is a pity
    because they made some of the best players for the 4th generation line-up.

    This assumes stand-alone players from low to mid-end models. DVD recorders and
    VCR/DVD combos are not factored. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 21, 2004