    messages about a dirty disc (even with new DVDs). Now it will suddenly
    start to freeze and then go to a black display. Is there a way to correct
    this problem? Is it just shot?

    Tom, Apr 16, 2004

  2. >I've had my SONY DVD Player (DVP-NS300) for over two years, and it has been
    >great. But recently it has started to have some video stuttering and
    >messages about a dirty disc (even with new DVDs). Now it will suddenly
    >start to freeze and then go to a black display.

    You could try to clean the objective lens on the laser optical pickup.

    Another thing that can be done is to perform the auto-calibration procedure for
    the player.

    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonydvd.html

    These directions should cover your particular model.

    There is also the possibility that the optical pickup might be going south, in
    which case it is more economical to replace rather than repair. When
    replacing, do stick with Japanese brands, namely Panasonic, Pioneer, JVC,
    Toshiba, or Sony. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 16, 2004

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in

    > You could try to clean the objective lens on the laser optical pickup.
    >
    > Another thing that can be done is to perform the auto-calibration
    > procedure for the player.
    >
    > http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonydvd.html
    >
    > These directions should cover your particular model.
    >
    > There is also the possibility that the optical pickup might be going
    > south, in which case it is more economical to replace rather than
    > repair. When replacing, do stick with Japanese brands, namely
    > Panasonic, Pioneer, JVC, Toshiba, or Sony. - Reinhart

    Thanks for the reply. Is the first suggestion of cleaning the objective
    lens, the same as the manual discuraged use of "commercially available
    CD/DVD cleaning disc?"

    I'm guessing the unit just wouldn't be worth the cost of being taken
    somewhere for repair.

    I also have a Philips DVD Recorder, so would probably not replace the
    player.

    Tom, Apr 16, 2004
  4. >Thanks for the reply. Is the first suggestion of cleaning the objective
    >lens, the same as the manual discuraged use of "commercially available
    >CD/DVD cleaning disc?"

    The best way is to actually take the cover off the player and clean the lens
    using a swab lightly dampened with water. Then you dry it using the dry end of
    the swab.

    The use of commercially available CD/DVD cleaning discs is not recommended.
    They are usually not effective and could cause damage to the optical pickup.

    >I'm guessing the unit just wouldn't be worth the cost of being taken
    >somewhere for repair.

    Unfortunately. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 16, 2004
  5. Tom

    Uddo Graaf Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > I've had my SONY DVD Player (DVP-NS300) for over two years, and it has

    been
    > great. But recently it has started to have some video stuttering and
    > messages about a dirty disc (even with new DVDs). Now it will suddenly
    > start to freeze and then go to a black display. Is there a way to correct
    > this problem? Is it just shot?

    Clean the lens or let someone who knows how to do it.

    Uddo Graaf, Apr 16, 2004
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Uddo Graaf" <> wrote in news:407ff0a8$0
    $64613$:

    > Clean the lens or let someone who knows how to do it.

    Thank you - I'll try to find out more about this.

    Tom, Apr 17, 2004
  7. Tom

    Tom Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in

    >>Thanks for the reply. Is the first suggestion of cleaning the
    >>objective lens, the same as the manual discuraged use of "commercially
    >>available CD/DVD cleaning disc?"

    > The best way is to actually take the cover off the player and clean
    > the lens using a swab lightly dampened with water. Then you dry it
    > using the dry end of the swab.
    >
    > The use of commercially available CD/DVD cleaning discs is not
    > recommended. They are usually not effective and could cause damage to
    > the optical pickup.
    >
    >>I'm guessing the unit just wouldn't be worth the cost of being taken
    >>somewhere for repair.

    > Unfortunately. - Reinhart

    Thank you - I'll take a look at getting the cover off - it isn't much good
    as is; I tried again this evening with the same result.

    Tom, Apr 17, 2004
  8. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Tom <> wrote in news:k2_fc.30934$1U2.7028
    @twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    >> The best way is to actually take the cover off the player and clean
    >> the lens using a swab lightly dampened with water. Then you dry it
    >> using the dry end of the swab.

    I took the cover off, but it looks like there is more to it, and I did not
    really feel good about taking more screws out. I think I'll look for lens
    cleaner - seems the safer bet.

    Tom, Apr 17, 2004
  9. >I took the cover off, but it looks like there is more to it, and I did not
    >really feel good about taking more screws out. I think I'll look for lens
    >cleaner - seems the safer bet.

    There is a top cover for the drive mechanism which is held in place by two or
    three screws. It should be okay to remove these screws and take the whole top
    cover of the drive off. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 17, 2004
  10. Tom

    Biz Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > Tom <> wrote in news:k2_fc.30934$1U2.7028
    > @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
    >
    > >> The best way is to actually take the cover off the player and clean
    > >> the lens using a swab lightly dampened with water. Then you dry it
    > >> using the dry end of the swab.

    > I took the cover off, but it looks like there is more to it, and I did not
    > really feel good about taking more screws out. I think I'll look for lens
    > cleaner - seems the safer bet.

    The ONLY truly safe lens cleaner is someone who knows what they are doing.
    You clean the lens on the optics just like a camera lens. Do not use a lens
    cleaner disc, 99 out of 100 times they do more damage than good.

    Biz, Apr 17, 2004
  11. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in

    > The ONLY truly safe lens cleaner is someone who knows what they are
    > doing. You clean the lens on the optics just like a camera lens. Do
    > not use a lens cleaner disc, 99 out of 100 times they do more damage
    > than good.

    I appreciate these last two responses. Since I felt I had little to lose
    (thinking it is really lost anyway), I did try a commercial disk cleaner.
    It has made no difference - a DVD still plays perfectly for about 20
    minutes, then a blank screen, and the unit entering standby - it is now a
    regular pattern. The disc did not help, but does not appear to have done
    any damage. For today, I'm going to leave it alone, and maybe leave it
    till my son is visits (won't be far away), or since I appear to have little
    further to lose, may open it up again.

    My sincere thanks for all the helpful responses.

    Tom, Apr 18, 2004
  12. >I appreciate these last two responses. Since I felt I had little to lose
    >(thinking it is really lost anyway), I did try a commercial disk cleaner.
    >It has made no difference - a DVD still plays perfectly for about 20
    >minutes, then a blank screen, and the unit entering standby -

    Why didn't you include this little bit of information before? You never said
    that the player was playing discs perfectly for the first 20 minutes until now!

    Obviously now, the problem is not with a dirty objective lens. If it were,
    then this problem would occur immediately and right after you insert the disc.

    Possible causes:

    1. The optical pickup or any associated components might have become thermal
    sensitive. This can happen if the player was ever overheated before. It can
    also be a symptom of wear and tear.

    2. The optical pickup might be worn out, although the symptoms of this problem
    sometimes occur immediately as opposed to after 20 or so minutes of play.
    However, sometimes a worn optical pickup can become thermal sensitive as
    indicated on possibility no. 1.

    3. Your optical pickup might be out of alignment. Did you attempt to
    recalibrate the optical pickup using the auto-calibration procedure through the
    DVD player's service menu?

    4. The discs being used might be dirty. Ideally, the irridescent side of all
    your discs must be clean without any dust, fingerprints, scratches, or any
    other kind of debris and anomolies. This is the only way to ensure that your
    discs will be 99.9% readable with reliability in virtually every single DVD
    player of the same region code.

    - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 18, 2004
  13. Tom

    Tom Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in

    Three days ago when I originally posted, I said:

    "But recently it has started to have some video stuttering and
    messages about a dirty disc (even with new DVDs). Now it will suddenly
    start to freeze and then go to a black display."

    That was the first occurance. Since then I have noticed a re-occurance,
    and then this morning when testing the lens cleaning, it happened again,
    and with those three times, a pattern became apparent. Before three days
    ago, it was just the dirty disc message and the stuttering - which had
    started a few days earlier.

    > Obviously now, the problem is not with a dirty objective lens. If it
    > were, then this problem would occur immediately and right after you
    > insert the disc.
    >
    > Possible causes:
    >
    > 1. The optical pickup or any associated components might have become
    > thermal sensitive. This can happen if the player was ever overheated
    > before. It can also be a symptom of wear and tear.
    >
    > 2. The optical pickup might be worn out, although the symptoms of
    > this problem sometimes occur immediately as opposed to after 20 or so
    > minutes of play. However, sometimes a worn optical pickup can become
    > thermal sensitive as indicated on possibility no. 1.
    >
    > 3. Your optical pickup might be out of alignment. Did you attempt to
    > recalibrate the optical pickup using the auto-calibration procedure
    > through the DVD player's service menu?

    I can't find such an option either on the machine or in the
    documentation.

    > 4. The discs being used might be dirty. Ideally, the irridescent
    > side of all your discs must be clean without any dust, fingerprints,
    > scratches, or any other kind of debris and anomolies. This is the
    > only way to ensure that your discs will be 99.9% readable with
    > reliability in virtually every single DVD player of the same region
    > code.

    I find the condition of rented discs disgusting, and certainly do not
    handle discs in such a manner. These are new discs.

    Thanks again.

    Tom, Apr 18, 2004
  14. Tom

    Tom Guest

    > I can't find such an option either on the machine or in the
    > documentation.

    I should add that doing [TIME] [CLEAR] [POWER] -or- [TITLE] [CLEAR]
    [POWER], as indicated at http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonydvd.html
    doesn't produce any result.

    Tom, Apr 19, 2004
  15. For the service menu, did you make sure to enter the code on the remote when
    the player is on stand by mode? In other words, plugged in and receiving power
    but not turned on. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 19, 2004
  16. Tom

    Tom Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in

    > For the service menu, did you make sure to enter the code on the
    > remote when the player is on stand by mode? In other words, plugged
    > in and receiving power but not turned on. - Reinhart

    Yes.

    Tom, Apr 19, 2004
  17. I don't know what to tell you. Obviously, one of the only sensible solutions
    left is to let someone who has the tools and skills look at the player. At
    this point, I'm inclined to believe that any further home diagnosis will only
    be spinning your wheels. Since dirt on the lens has already been ruled out and
    we cannot enter the service menu, there is really nothing more that can be done
    without getting the service literature and the appropriate tools.

    The other solution: replace the player. A lot of DVD players produced up to
    the forth generation were capable of developing various troubles. Sonys,
    Panasonics, Pioneers, Samsungs, JVCs, and Philips were capable of developing
    optical pickup problems. Toshiba players had problems developing bad
    capacitors that resulted in sound and display problems. Apex, Mintek, Oritron,
    RCA, G.E., ProScan, Cinevision, and GoVideo were almost guaranteed to be
    garbage either right when you get it out of the box or in less than two years.

    Now, DVD players, I would dare say, have improved in many respects. Overall, I
    recommend Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Pioneer, or Denon. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 20, 2004
  18. Tom

    Tom Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in

    > I don't know what to tell you. Obviously, one of the only sensible
    > solutions left is to let someone who has the tools and skills look at
    > the player. At this point, I'm inclined to believe that any further
    > home diagnosis will only be spinning your wheels. Since dirt on the
    > lens has already been ruled out and we cannot enter the service menu,
    > there is really nothing more that can be done without getting the
    > service literature and the appropriate tools.
    >
    > The other solution: replace the player. A lot of DVD players produced
    > up to the forth generation were capable of developing various
    > troubles. Sonys, Panasonics, Pioneers, Samsungs, JVCs, and Philips
    > were capable of developing optical pickup problems. Toshiba players
    > had problems developing bad capacitors that resulted in sound and
    > display problems. Apex, Mintek, Oritron, RCA, G.E., ProScan,
    > Cinevision, and GoVideo were almost guaranteed to be garbage either
    > right when you get it out of the box or in less than two years.
    >
    > Now, DVD players, I would dare say, have improved in many respects.
    > Overall, I recommend Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Pioneer, or Denon.
    > - Reinhart

    Thanks for everything - I do appreciate it.

    Since the unit is nearly 2.5 years old, I just don't think it is worth
    the expense of professional work - just looking at it would be more cost
    that it is worth (based on past experience).

    I can certainly get by with just using my Philips DVD Recorder, but it
    was nice being able to record and play at the same time.

    Tom, Apr 20, 2004
  19. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Tom <> wrote in

    > I appreciate these last two responses. Since I felt I had little to
    > lose (thinking it is really lost anyway), I did try a commercial disk
    > cleaner. It has made no difference - a DVD still plays perfectly for
    > about 20 minutes, then a blank screen, and the unit entering standby -
    > it is now a regular pattern. The disc did not help, but does not
    > appear to have done any damage. For today, I'm going to leave it
    > alone, and maybe leave it till my son is visits (won't be far away),
    > or since I appear to have little further to lose, may open it up
    > again.
    >
    > My sincere thanks for all the helpful responses.

    I'm not confident yet on this, but this is an interesting finding.

    I had previously tried turning off the power button for a couple days,
    thinking that might take care of something like a static electricity
    problem, but it didn't make a difference.

    Yesterday morning, I finally unplugged everything and moved it into another
    room. This evening, I decided to try one last time - and about four hours
    of running a purchased DVD and viewing two backed up DVDS (including one
    that was having the black screen and shutdowns) - all was fine! I plan on
    giving it a workout tomorrow night.

    Tom, Apr 26, 2004
  20. >Yesterday morning, I finally unplugged everything and moved it into another
    >room. This evening, I decided to try one last time - and about four hours
    >of running a purchased DVD and viewing two backed up DVDS (including one
    >that was having the black screen and shutdowns) - all was fine! I plan on
    >giving it a workout tomorrow night.

    Hmm. Where was the player located before you moved it? - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 26, 2004