Sony DSCS85 DC Adapter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    My daughter has a Sony DSCS85 4.1 camera with a NP-FM50 InfoLithium
    Battery. She uses the AC L10 charger (supplied with the camera) to
    charge the internal battery. The battery is not removable for
    charging.

    She would like to have a DC converter to re-charge the battery when
    she's on a trip. The Sony DCC L50B kit is both an AC and DC charger,
    and usually sells on eBay for $60/$70.

    There is another kit available on eBay that sells for under $30 (inc
    shipping) seen at http://tinyurl.com/asl5o I can't tell if this
    usable for the DSCS85 for DC charging or not.

    My daughter doesn't need the AC charging functions since she already
    has that. All she really needs is whatever it takes to make the DC
    car cigarette lighter connection.

    Anyone know if the less expensive unit would work for her?

    --
    Tony Cooper
    Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Tony Cooper

    birdman Guest

    Why not go to a real store and read the labels on the boxes to see if they
    are compatible with the camera and battery instead of relying on a nebulous
    Ebay vendor? I would bet that if you searched the web you would easily find
    reputable vendors that list chargers with all their specifications at prices
    that are better than what you can get on Ebay.

    birdman, Jun 3, 2005

  3. Tony Cooper

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    > My daughter has a Sony DSCS85 4.1 camera with a NP-FM50 InfoLithium
    > Battery. She uses the AC L10 charger (supplied with the camera) to
    > charge the internal battery. The battery is not removable for
    > charging.
    >
    > She would like to have a DC converter to re-charge the battery when
    > she's on a trip. The Sony DCC L50B kit is both an AC and DC charger,
    > and usually sells on eBay for $60/$70.
    >
    > There is another kit available on eBay that sells for under $30 (inc
    > shipping) seen at http://tinyurl.com/asl5o I can't tell if this
    > usable for the DSCS85 for DC charging or not.
    >
    > My daughter doesn't need the AC charging functions since she already
    > has that. All she really needs is whatever it takes to make the DC
    > car cigarette lighter connection.
    >
    > Anyone know if the less expensive unit would work for her?

    Unfortunately Sony keeps a tight rein on it's technology licenses as a
    way of maximizing profit. Unfortunately they have shot themselves in the
    foot several times take Betamax, Digital Audio Tape and MiniDisc to name
    but three. Sony's own Memory Stick technology hit a dead-end prompting
    them to produce at least 3 types of MS for their Still digicams and
    Movie cams. Since no-one else uses their Info-Lithium batteries any
    independent maker would find a very small market for a charger.

    The best advice I can give is live with it, buy a 2nd battery and when
    the camera is getting old, upgrade to a non-Sony digicam using AA NiMH
    batteries. The Pentax external charger is able to charge two batteries
    at the same time, for example.

    Stewy, Jun 3, 2005
  4. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:08:02 GMT, "birdman" <>
    wrote:

    >Why not go to a real store and read the labels on the boxes to see if they
    >are compatible with the camera and battery instead of relying on a nebulous
    >Ebay vendor? I would bet that if you searched the web you would easily find
    >reputable vendors that list chargers with all their specifications at prices
    >that are better than what you can get on Ebay.

    I hate to get testy with someone that replies to a question that I've
    posted, but the Sony DCC L50B charger is no longer supplied by Sony.
    The only camera stores that have them to look at are stores with old
    merchandize. Some of these stores are reputable vendors that sell on
    eBay.

    The two major camera stores in this town can't even order the Sony DCC
    L50B kit. The reputable stores that are linked on the web sell them
    higher than the eBay prices.

    I don't know how you handle things, but I do check things out on my
    own before I come to newsgroup for help.

    --
    Tony Cooper
    Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 09:33:27 +0900, Stewy <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >
    >> My daughter has a Sony DSCS85 4.1 camera with a NP-FM50 InfoLithium
    >> Battery. She uses the AC L10 charger (supplied with the camera) to
    >> charge the internal battery. The battery is not removable for
    >> charging.
    >>
    >> She would like to have a DC converter to re-charge the battery when
    >> she's on a trip. The Sony DCC L50B kit is both an AC and DC charger,
    >> and usually sells on eBay for $60/$70.
    >>
    >> There is another kit available on eBay that sells for under $30 (inc
    >> shipping) seen at http://tinyurl.com/asl5o I can't tell if this
    >> usable for the DSCS85 for DC charging or not.
    >>
    >> My daughter doesn't need the AC charging functions since she already
    >> has that. All she really needs is whatever it takes to make the DC
    >> car cigarette lighter connection.
    >>
    >> Anyone know if the less expensive unit would work for her?

    >Unfortunately Sony keeps a tight rein on it's technology licenses as a
    >way of maximizing profit. Unfortunately they have shot themselves in the
    >foot several times take Betamax, Digital Audio Tape and MiniDisc to name
    >but three. Sony's own Memory Stick technology hit a dead-end prompting
    >them to produce at least 3 types of MS for their Still digicams and
    >Movie cams. Since no-one else uses their Info-Lithium batteries any
    >independent maker would find a very small market for a charger.
    >
    >The best advice I can give is live with it, buy a 2nd battery

    Not a bad idea. The NP-FM50 battery sells for about $53 including
    shipping costs. That leaves me with question of whether or not a
    battery loses charge in storage when not in the camera. Some of the
    rechargeable AAA batteries I've purchased for my own Canon A70 camera
    just don't stay up when you don't use them and recharge them
    frequently.

    > and when
    >the camera is getting old, upgrade to a non-Sony digicam using AA NiMH
    >batteries. The Pentax external charger is able to charge two batteries
    >at the same time, for example.

    True, but isn't that a sad commentary on cameras today? We replace
    cameras because we can't find accessories to recharge the batteries.
    All of my 35mmSLR equipment is 25 years or older. I've added to the
    system, but never had to replace anything because it was obsolete.

    I've gone through three decent digital cameras in four years because
    it's cheaper to replace than repair.

    The problem isn't just cameras. I used the same manual typewriter for
    two decades, but I buy a new inkjet printer on average every year.
    Each time I pay less for more features. I threw my first printer - a
    $1,500 laser printer - in the trash because I could buy a better and
    faster inkjet for half of the cost of a new laser drum.

    --
    Tony Cooper
    Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Tony Cooper

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:08:02 GMT, "birdman" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Why not go to a real store and read the labels on the boxes to see if they
    > >are compatible with the camera and battery instead of relying on a nebulous
    > >Ebay vendor? I would bet that if you searched the web you would easily find
    > >reputable vendors that list chargers with all their specifications at prices
    > >that are better than what you can get on Ebay.
    > >

    > I hate to get testy with someone that replies to a question that I've
    > posted, but the Sony DCC L50B charger is no longer supplied by Sony.
    > The only camera stores that have them to look at are stores with old
    > merchandize. Some of these stores are reputable vendors that sell on
    > eBay.
    >
    > The two major camera stores in this town can't even order the Sony DCC
    > L50B kit. The reputable stores that are linked on the web sell them
    > higher than the eBay prices.
    >
    > I don't know how you handle things, but I do check things out on my
    > own before I come to newsgroup for help.

    I believe the charger and battery for the S85 is the same as the S70.
    Sony supplied this with the camera. Sony also makes 2 external chargers
    one for a single battery and another for two.

    Take a look at
    http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1237/prodtype.asp
    you may be able to find what you're looking for

    Stewy, Jun 4, 2005
  7. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:21:47 +0900, Stewy <>
    wrote:

    >> The two major camera stores in this town can't even order the Sony DCC
    >> L50B kit. The reputable stores that are linked on the web sell them
    >> higher than the eBay prices.
    >>
    >> I don't know how you handle things, but I do check things out on my
    >> own before I come to newsgroup for help.

    >I believe the charger and battery for the S85 is the same as the S70.
    >Sony supplied this with the camera. Sony also makes 2 external chargers
    >one for a single battery and another for two.
    >
    >Take a look at
    >http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1237/prodtype.asp
    >you may be able to find what you're looking for

    Thanks, but I gave up on the idea and followed someone else's advice
    and purchased a second NP-FM50 InfoLithium battery. I figured on road
    trips she can pre-charge both batteries and pop in the spare if the
    first goes down. The original battery will give out one day anyway.

    --
    Tony Cooper
    Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 4, 2005