SONY DSC-V1, CANON S50 and CANON G-5: Compared

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marc Libom, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Marc Libom

    Marc Libom Guest

    > 1) G5 images are sharped and more contrasted followed by S50
    > 2) V1 has better low light performance
    > 3) S50 deals better on portraits
    > 4) G5 present some fringes
    > 5) V1 has more features than the other two
    > 6) G5 and V1 external flash hotshoe and lenses attachment is a plus
    > 7) As a point and shoot and handy S50 is THE one.
    >
    > So if you have $450-$550 which one you would buy??? (For Portraits,
    > Family, and Artistic stuff)

    All cams are very good and it depends on your personal needs or better, the
    aim is to select a cam without any nerve-hitting features for you. I would
    advise the Sony V1, as it has a brilliant ZEISS lens, 5 MP and it is the
    fastest of them all. Lowest switch on time and lowest AF/shutter delay,
    which could drive you crazy f.e. with the G5. If you do only non moving
    scenes like landscape or portrait, than the G5 is the most balanced one with
    an excellent image quality. Go to a dealer and try them all and you will see
    how they will react to switch on, AF, shutter delay, menu ...
    Marc Libom, Dec 10, 2003

  2. <garr> skrev i meddelandet

    > I was checking all the imnages posted on
    > imaging-resources, dpreview, steve.s, etc and as far as I see:
    >
    > 1) G5 images are sharped and more contrasted followed by S50

    I say s50 gives higher resolution in some cases

    > 2) V1 has better low light performance

    G5 is faster isn't it?

    > 3) S50 deals better on portraits

    OK

    > 4) G5 present some fringes

    s50 too.

    > 5) V1 has more features than the other two

    I belive that some features exist both on the s50 and G-5 that Sony doesn't
    have. (like flexizone)

    > 6) G5 and V1 external flash hotshoe and lenses attachment is a plus

    Yes.

    > 7) As a point and shoot and handy S50 is THE one.

    Fits into a pocket, but the lid doesn't really seem to survive that.

    > So if you have $450-$550 which one you would buy??? (For Portraits,
    > Family, and Artistic stuff)

    S50 it was for me, but the other two doesn't adapt to digiscoping as well as
    the Canon s's series wich is very well suited for that.

    Morgan O.
    Morgan Ohlson, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Marc Libom

    Marc Libom Guest

    > > 2) V1 has better low light performance
    >
    > G5 is faster isn't it?

    Definitely not. The bad speed of the G5 is one of her weakness points with a
    a minus in every test. I am really no Sony fan, but there is no doubt that
    the V1 is much faster and has a much much lower shutter delay.

    garr, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Marc Libom

    Axel VK Guest

    <garr> wrote in message news:...

    > I was checking all the imnages posted on
    > imaging-resources, dpreview, steve.s, etc and as far as I see:
    >
    > 1) G5 images are sharped and more contrasted followed by S50
    > 2) V1 has better low light performance
    > 3) S50 deals better on portraits
    > 4) G5 present some fringes
    > 5) V1 has more features than the other two
    > 6) G5 and V1 external flash hotshoe and lenses attachment is a plus
    > 7) As a point and shoot and handy S50 is THE one.
    >
    > So if you have $450-$550 which one you would buy??? (For Portraits,
    > Family, and Artistic stuff)

    The Olympus 5060.
    Axel VK, Dec 11, 2003
  6. "Marc Libom" <> wrote in message
    > Definitely not. The bad speed of the G5 is one of her weakness points with

    > a minus in every test. I am really no Sony fan, but there is no doubt that
    > the V1 is much faster and has a much much lower shutter delay.

    The Sony DSC-V1 is a very nice camera except for one thing: it uses the
    somewhat unusual Memory Stick Pro memory card design. You need to be a bit
    more diligent in finding Memory Stick Pro memory cards since many stores
    don't sell this type of memory card. :-(

    --
    Raymond Chuang
    Sacramento, CA USA
    Raymond Chuang, Dec 11, 2003