SONY DSC-T7 DON'T BUY IT

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by almasy1939@yahoo.com, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Spent close to $500 on the camera (brand new) and acessories

    It lasted 18 months. Two weeks ago it worked. Had it sitting on my
    table since.. picked it up last night and it wouldn't work. checked
    the batteries, they were charged. Obviously a power supply circuitry
    problem, the thing doesn't even light up.

    Typical SONY experience. They must spend millions of dollars to
    figure out how to get their equipment to cease working shortly after
    warranty expiration. Usually it is the power circuitry that craps
    out. They hope that you will send it back to them for repair. When
    they send you the bill for repair that is invariably more expensive
    than replacement, they also tell you that it will cost $250 dollars
    plus shipping if you want the device sent back without repair. Of
    course you let them keep it. Then they probably scavange the
    remaining functioning parts and resell them as new.

    So far, between myself and my brother, we have had the following SONY
    equipment die in this manner. One day they mysteriously stopped
    working completely.

    - three SONY 50 inch flat panel plasma monitors, two crapped out
    within 7 days of the warranty expiration.

    - two Vaio laptops, each lasted about 18 months.

    - one PC100 camcorder, lasted 8 months

    - one DSC-T7 digital camera. My brother also has one, got it for him
    last christmas. I expect it has about 6 months left to go

    before you buy SONY, here are some links to read
    http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

    http://sethoscope.net/laptop/sony-sucks.html

    or google "sony sucks"
    , Dec 18, 2006

  2. Doug Robbins Guest

    Anecdotal. Meaningful analysis of Sony product reliability requires data on
    statistical frequency of repair vs. other brands across a large sample of
    owners.

    Doug Robbins, Dec 18, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Spent close to $500 on the camera (brand new) and acessories
    >
    > It lasted 18 months. Two weeks ago it worked. Had it sitting on
    > my table since.. picked it up last night and it wouldn't work.
    > checked the batteries, they were charged. Obviously a power supply
    > circuitry problem, the thing doesn't even light up.
    >

    > Typical SONY experience. They must spend millions of dollars to
    > figure out how to get their equipment to cease working shortly after
    > warranty expiration. Usually it is the power circuitry that craps
    > out. They hope that you will send it back to them for repair. When
    > they send you the bill for repair that is invariably more expensive
    > than replacement, they also tell you that it will cost $250 dollars
    > plus shipping if you want the device sent back without repair. Of
    > course you let them keep it. Then they probably scavange the
    > remaining functioning parts and resell them as new.
    >
    > So far, between myself and my brother, we have had the following SONY
    > equipment die in this manner. One day they mysteriously stopped
    > working completely.
    >
    > - three SONY 50 inch flat panel plasma monitors, two crapped out
    > within 7 days of the warranty expiration.
    >
    > - two Vaio laptops, each lasted about 18 months.
    >
    > - one PC100 camcorder, lasted 8 months
    >
    > - one DSC-T7 digital camera. My brother also has one, got it for him
    > last christmas. I expect it has about 6 months left to go
    >

    > before you buy SONY, here are some links to read
    > http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit
    >
    > http://sethoscope.net/laptop/sony-sucks.html
    >
    > or google "sony sucks"

    I thought I was the only person on earth who wouldn't touch Sony. Nice to
    meet you!

    Dennis.
    Dennis Pogson, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Cru Grand Guest

    Dennis Pogson schreef:

    > wrote:
    > > Spent close to $500 on the camera (brand new) and acessories
    > >
    > > It lasted 18 months. Two weeks ago it worked. Had it sitting on
    > > my table since.. picked it up last night and it wouldn't work.
    > > checked the batteries, they were charged. Obviously a power supply
    > > circuitry problem, the thing doesn't even light up.
    > >

    > > Typical SONY experience. They must spend millions of dollars to
    > > figure out how to get their equipment to cease working shortly after
    > > warranty expiration. Usually it is the power circuitry that craps
    > > out. They hope that you will send it back to them for repair. When
    > > they send you the bill for repair that is invariably more expensive
    > > than replacement, they also tell you that it will cost $250 dollars
    > > plus shipping if you want the device sent back without repair. Of
    > > course you let them keep it. Then they probably scavange the
    > > remaining functioning parts and resell them as new.
    > >
    > > So far, between myself and my brother, we have had the following SONY
    > > equipment die in this manner. One day they mysteriously stopped
    > > working completely.
    > >
    > > - three SONY 50 inch flat panel plasma monitors, two crapped out
    > > within 7 days of the warranty expiration.
    > >
    > > - two Vaio laptops, each lasted about 18 months.
    > >
    > > - one PC100 camcorder, lasted 8 months
    > >
    > > - one DSC-T7 digital camera. My brother also has one, got it for him
    > > last christmas. I expect it has about 6 months left to go
    > >

    > > before you buy SONY, here are some links to read
    > > http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit
    > >
    > > http://sethoscope.net/laptop/sony-sucks.html
    > >
    > > or google "sony sucks"

    > I thought I was the only person on earth who wouldn't touch Sony. Nice to
    > meet you!
    >
    > Dennis.

    I have a Sony DSC-T7 and I am very happy with it :))
    Cru Grand, Dec 18, 2006
  5. ray Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 02:57:51 -0800, almasy1939 wrote:

    > Spent close to $500 on the camera (brand new) and acessories
    >
    > It lasted 18 months. Two weeks ago it worked. Had it sitting on my
    > table since.. picked it up last night and it wouldn't work. checked
    > the batteries, they were charged. Obviously a power supply circuitry
    > problem, the thing doesn't even light up.
    >

    > Typical SONY experience. They must spend millions of dollars to
    > figure out how to get their equipment to cease working shortly after
    > warranty expiration. Usually it is the power circuitry that craps
    > out. They hope that you will send it back to them for repair. When
    > they send you the bill for repair that is invariably more expensive
    > than replacement, they also tell you that it will cost $250 dollars
    > plus shipping if you want the device sent back without repair. Of
    > course you let them keep it. Then they probably scavange the
    > remaining functioning parts and resell them as new.
    >
    > So far, between myself and my brother, we have had the following SONY
    > equipment die in this manner. One day they mysteriously stopped
    > working completely.
    >
    > - three SONY 50 inch flat panel plasma monitors, two crapped out
    > within 7 days of the warranty expiration.
    >
    > - two Vaio laptops, each lasted about 18 months.
    >
    > - one PC100 camcorder, lasted 8 months
    >
    > - one DSC-T7 digital camera. My brother also has one, got it for him
    > last christmas. I expect it has about 6 months left to go
    >

    > before you buy SONY, here are some links to read
    > http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit
    >
    > http://sethoscope.net/laptop/sony-sucks.html
    >
    > or google "sony sucks"

    One definition of insanity includes trying the same thing over and over,
    each time expecting a different outcome ;)

    I became disillusioned with Sony several years ago. I think they actually
    did quality stuff at one time but are resting on their laurels. So many
    recalls involving Sony components recently - batteries, ccd sensors, etc.
    ray, Dec 18, 2006
  6. ray Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:34:52 -0800, Cru Grand wrote:

    > Dennis Pogson schreef:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >> > Spent close to $500 on the camera (brand new) and acessories
    >> >
    >> > It lasted 18 months. Two weeks ago it worked. Had it sitting on
    >> > my table since.. picked it up last night and it wouldn't work.
    >> > checked the batteries, they were charged. Obviously a power supply
    >> > circuitry problem, the thing doesn't even light up.
    >> >

    >> > Typical SONY experience. They must spend millions of dollars to
    >> > figure out how to get their equipment to cease working shortly after
    >> > warranty expiration. Usually it is the power circuitry that craps
    >> > out. They hope that you will send it back to them for repair. When
    >> > they send you the bill for repair that is invariably more expensive
    >> > than replacement, they also tell you that it will cost $250 dollars
    >> > plus shipping if you want the device sent back without repair. Of
    >> > course you let them keep it. Then they probably scavange the
    >> > remaining functioning parts and resell them as new.
    >> >
    >> > So far, between myself and my brother, we have had the following SONY
    >> > equipment die in this manner. One day they mysteriously stopped
    >> > working completely.
    >> >
    >> > - three SONY 50 inch flat panel plasma monitors, two crapped out
    >> > within 7 days of the warranty expiration.
    >> >
    >> > - two Vaio laptops, each lasted about 18 months.
    >> >
    >> > - one PC100 camcorder, lasted 8 months
    >> >
    >> > - one DSC-T7 digital camera. My brother also has one, got it for him
    >> > last christmas. I expect it has about 6 months left to go
    >> >

    >> > before you buy SONY, here are some links to read
    >> > http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit
    >> >
    >> > http://sethoscope.net/laptop/sony-sucks.html
    >> >
    >> > or google "sony sucks"

    >> I thought I was the only person on earth who wouldn't touch Sony. Nice to
    >> meet you!
    >>
    >> Dennis.

    > I have a Sony DSC-T7 and I am very happy with it :))

    Is it still in warranty?
    ray, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Doug Robbins" <> wrote in message
    > Anecdotal. Meaningful analysis of Sony product reliability requires data
    > on statistical frequency of repair vs. other brands across a large sample
    > of owners.

    Agreed, but do all the recalls of cameras with Sony chips count? Sony has a
    QC issue, and this may be a result.

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 19, 2006
  8. You're using Maddox as a method of backing up your argument against
    Sony? You must be six or something, as no mature person would resort to
    that.

    Okay, so your camera broke. It must be a huge conspiracy perpetrated by
    Sony to screw over every human on the planet so their army of
    Playstation robots can ta.....

    I can't even go on. It's so damn absurd. And the sad thing is, it's on
    the same credibility level as your post.
    Nathan Gibney, Dec 19, 2006
  9. timeOday Guest

    Doug Robbins wrote:
    > Anecdotal. Meaningful analysis of Sony product reliability requires data on
    > statistical frequency of repair vs. other brands across a large sample of
    > owners.

    The problem IMHO is none of the manufacturers offer decent warranties.
    This really limits the amount I will spend on a camera. It's too risky
    to spend over $400 on a camera that may or may not last longer than a
    single year, with no realistic way to repair it if it dies.

    There are third party extended warranties, but they're very expensive.
    Why? Because cameras fall apart. Why? Because they're not built to
    last. Why? Because the manufacturer offers such a crappy warranty,
    they don't care. It's not their problem.
    timeOday, Dec 19, 2006
  10. John Turco Guest

    Dennis Pogson wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Spent close to $500 on the camera (brand new) and acessories
    > >
    > > It lasted 18 months. Two weeks ago it worked. Had it sitting on
    > > my table since.. picked it up last night and it wouldn't work.
    > > checked the batteries, they were charged. Obviously a power supply
    > > circuitry problem, the thing doesn't even light up.
    > >

    > > Typical SONY experience. They must spend millions of dollars to
    > > figure out how to get their equipment to cease working shortly after
    > > warranty expiration. Usually it is the power circuitry that craps
    > > out. They hope that you will send it back to them for repair. When
    > > they send you the bill for repair that is invariably more expensive
    > > than replacement, they also tell you that it will cost $250 dollars
    > > plus shipping if you want the device sent back without repair. Of
    > > course you let them keep it. Then they probably scavange the
    > > remaining functioning parts and resell them as new.

    <edited, for brevity>

    > I thought I was the only person on earth who wouldn't touch Sony. Nice to
    > meet you!
    >
    > Dennis.

    Hello, Dennis:

    Well, that makes three of us, at least. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Dec 23, 2006
  11. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:28:21 -0700, timeOday wrote:

    > The problem IMHO is none of the manufacturers offer decent warranties.
    > This really limits the amount I will spend on a camera. It's too risky
    > to spend over $400 on a camera that may or may not last longer than a
    > single year, with no realistic way to repair it if it dies.
    >
    > There are third party extended warranties, but they're very expensive.
    > Why? Because cameras fall apart. Why? Because they're not built to
    > last. Why? Because the manufacturer offers such a crappy warranty,
    > they don't care. It's not their problem.

    Some are expensive, others are not. Staples sells their own
    moderately expensive warrantees. If I recall correctly, a decent
    P&S would require about $75 for an additional 2 or 3 years of
    coverage. B&H on the other hand sells Mack warrantees which are a
    bargain. Full coverage for up to 5 years (Mack covers the last 4)
    and the warranty cost for still cameras under $500 is $30.
    ASAAR, Dec 23, 2006
  12. Ron Hunter Guest

    John Turco wrote:
    > Dennis Pogson wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Spent close to $500 on the camera (brand new) and acessories
    >>>
    >>> It lasted 18 months. Two weeks ago it worked. Had it sitting on
    >>> my table since.. picked it up last night and it wouldn't work.
    >>> checked the batteries, they were charged. Obviously a power supply
    >>> circuitry problem, the thing doesn't even light up.
    >>>

    >>> Typical SONY experience. They must spend millions of dollars to
    >>> figure out how to get their equipment to cease working shortly after
    >>> warranty expiration. Usually it is the power circuitry that craps
    >>> out. They hope that you will send it back to them for repair. When
    >>> they send you the bill for repair that is invariably more expensive
    >>> than replacement, they also tell you that it will cost $250 dollars
    >>> plus shipping if you want the device sent back without repair. Of
    >>> course you let them keep it. Then they probably scavange the
    >>> remaining functioning parts and resell them as new.

    > <edited, for brevity>
    >
    >> I thought I was the only person on earth who wouldn't touch Sony. Nice to
    >> meet you!
    >>
    >> Dennis.

    > Hello, Dennis:
    >
    > Well, that makes three of us, at least. <g>
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    Make it 4. I don't like their 'I want the whole pie' approach.
    Proprietary everything!
    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2006